Sign in to follow this  
BobDole

Tom Minkel to hang it up after 2016

This whole story can't get better can it? Well yes it can, Minkel is going to get deeper into professional poker after retirement!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/06/30/michigan-state-wrestling-tom-minkel/29509953/

Hasn't he been bluffing the AD that he's a good coach for the past 10 years?

This whole story can't get better can it? Well yes it can, Minkel is going to get deeper into professional poker after retirement!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/06/30/michigan-state-wrestling-tom-minkel/29509953/

Hasn't he been bluffing the AD that he's a good coach for the past 10 years?

Unbelievable. This Minkel guy really is just a bad joke. That article feels like a bad April Fool's Day stunt.

Would it be better or worse if chandler turned out to be a complete success and Minkle was surprising him for 20 years..

Regardless whether you meant "suppressing," the past twenty years would seem even more tragic, but one would need to be as delusional as they are to entertain even an intermediate turnaround for MSU wrestling under the current plan.  Hollis should have gone all out to find a Brian Smith-type capable of a complete overhaul and ground-up rebuild.  IMHO he wouldn't have to look that far.....if Roy Hall would even consider such a challenge.

Edited by wreferee

When Minkel first arrived he had the program flying, recruiting great kids and crowning All-Americans consistently with occasional champs and title contenders.  The steam ran out, though, and this program has been a joke the past decade.  When the passion for college coaching left me, I got out because the sport deserved better.  The kids I know who have gone there recently have pretty much done what they've done on their own with no coherent gameplan or overreaching goal.  I guess the sole consolation is that the program has some sort of direction, as limited as the commitment seems to be.

I'm pretty sure that the powers that be at MSU know exactly what they're doing.  Football and basketball are the important men's sports there.  Period.  Minkel helped solidify this fact for years, and now they've designated someone who will carry on that tradition.

Wrong to not open the job up to a national search.  Having sent a kid to wrestle at MSU, I can say that the problem runs deeper than Minkel.

A national search would be nice, but doesn't federal/state law require all public positions be the subject of open notice and a formal search process - however meager it might be? There must be some list of the candidates that appied and who were brought in for interviews. Aren't there any posters close to the MSU program on this forum who can shed some light on this issue? Who did Chandler beat out for this position? That answer might reveal whether the MSU administration actually even tried to locate a "best" candidate.

Edited by npope

A national search would be nice, but doesn't federal/state law require all public positions be the subject of open notice and a formal search process - however meager it might be. There must be some list of the candidates that appied and who were brought in for interviews. Aren't there any posters close to the MSU program on this forum who can shed some light on this issue? Who did Chandler beat out for this position? That answer might reveal whether the MSU administration actually even tried to locate a "best" candidate.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Every state job I've ever had or applied for was subject to open posting and supposed competition.  This whole process just smells bad...

I was a municipal firefighter and worked under 3 fire chiefs all three of which were promoted from my dept's ranks. I once asked if they were required to advertise and accept outside applicants. I was advised that when a position is left vacant due to retirement etc, filling that position did not fall under the parameters that a new job opening would require.

That being said, both promotions that occurred during my tenure were openly advertised and outside applicants accepted. I always thought it was a waist of money when the powers that controled the process probably knew from the start who they would put in the position.

Edited by Bloate