Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Spanish Grand Prix this weekend

Wow the refs in that Green vs Italy match where lost. Frustrating to watch

Yeah that match pissed me off a lot. First of all, Chamizo definitely should've been on the shot clock in the first period, and you could make a decent argument he should've been on in the second period as well. Second, that last 20-30 seconds was a sh*tshow by the officials. Get the dang score right and figure it out quickly. Third and this was most frustrating, as poorly as I personally think that match was reffed, Green could only blame himself for losing (if he had lost). He couldn't finish his shots. Gave way too much deference to Chamizo or quit on shots or didn't feel confident. Whatever the reason, he gave up a ridiculous counter two, and left at least two other solid takedown opportunities on the table.

Very happy to see the win against a ranked opponent, but Chamizo has been at 65kg this whole year and came up from 55kg back in 2010 when he first started internationally. Not sure why Green didn't use his size advantage or why he let up when he would get to the legs, but I hope he doesn't wrestle like that in Vegas.

This is the first time I watched this tourney.  Had no idea what  I was signing up for...Got up at 3AM and 14 hours later was still watching.  4 mats for that many matches is not practical.  I can't belive there is not venue in Spain that works from a location/ocst perspective that could allow for more than 4 mats.

And for Christ sake, put the camera and the coaches is separate corners so they're not in the way the whole time.

As for the wrestling, great to see so many US medals.  Not being a big follower of the International guys, I'm guessing it is safe to assume that the competition was not the greatest.  I know Iran and Russia were there but guessing they were not even their JV guys (more like Jr. High).  Hopefuly someone tells me I am wrong on this.

Another observation --- there were very few times I saw the shot clock being needing.  Guessing this was also a reflection of the level the competition.  Our guys were generally able to score quickly on the competition so it was not needed very often.

Manning coaching Taylor. Interesting.

9:20am - 11 Jul 15

This is what Willie tweeted out yesterday.

Does this go back to the old saying "if you can't beat em, join em"

Very happy to see the win against a ranked opponent, but Chamizo has been at 65kg this whole year and came up from 55kg back in 2010 when he first started internationally. Not sure why Green didn't use his size advantage or why he let up when he would get to the legs, but I hope he doesn't wrestle like that in Vegas.

Chamizo won a home tournament in 2013 competing in the 74 kg weight class. But maybe he doesn't cut that much really, I think he could wrestle up a weight since the competition was easy.

The italian that pinned Mark Hall is Carmelo Lumia, Italy's most talented freestyle wrestler until Chamizo's joining.

Very good at throws (hit a great inside trip on Gaidarov at the 2011 Worlds), recently he added a Burroughs-style reshot double to his arsenal. That's how JB's wrestling influences wrestlers around the world, guys.

Too bad Lumia struggles so bad on the international stage. Taylor sticked him in a little over a minute, but it's fair, DT is strong.

Um, yeah. But how did the match go with Hall vs Lumia? Was it close before the fall? Indications were the fall was not indicative or maybe I was wrong. I didn't see it. 

Hall was not getting dominated but Lumia had control.