Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Remembering Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket Wrestling

What I know

Program started in 1948 and was dropped in?  Some sources I've come across say 1986.   Others I've came across say 1989.

Only one All American - James Pond 6th Place @ 145 lbs in 1966.

Last NCAA Qualifier was Gary Comelio in 1981 @ 177 lbs.  He was also to my knowledge Georgia Tech's last ACC Conference Champion.  

Other names I know of that wrestled for Georgia Tech - Laird Carmichael, Jerry Goldstein, William Saville.

Any other facts/information on Georgia Tech wrestling, please let me know.

Thank you. 

They used to go to the Mid-South tournament in the early 1990s.  The coach was an older gentleman who would joke that he was only staying alive to piss off the administration, who told him that as soon as he stepped down they were dumping the program.  Don Elia from Carson-Newman would be able to tell you more.

Edited by Coach_J

FYI, the All-Star Classic is being held there on November 1st.

Honestly, Georgia Tech has to be on our radar list of places we can get to add. Georgia Tech has the rare problem of being out of Title IX compliance against men. Only two other Division I schools that I'm aware of (Mass-Lowell and NJIT) have that same issue.

Honestly, Georgia Tech has to be on our radar list of places we can get to add. Georgia Tech has the rare problem of being out of Title IX compliance against men. Only two other Division I schools that I'm aware of (Mass-Lowell and NJIT) have that same issue.

Totally agree SHP. There is a growing hotbead of wrestling talent and support coming from the Atlanta area, the conference could use an additional wrestling school, and GT is in need of another sports addition.

The 2015 All-Star Classic will be held at Georgia Tech??

Jim Pond is still involved in the sport.  Goes to most of the Oregon St. home matches and is involved in the states chapter of the HOF & IOC alumni group.

Lowell Lange, former NCAA champ, was the old coach you speak of that kept the program alive until his retirement. They had very little support; I don't think he was paid a dime.

Thanks, Nelson.  He was a great guy, very humorous and humble.  Remember him with great fondness.