Sign in to follow this  
Cyclones

GADSON IS BACK

Freestyle and folkstyle are very different, I'm not sure I'd be that worried if I were Snyder. I hope to see Gadson do well tho, we need some quality depth at this weight for sure.

Freestyle favors wrestler's who are good on there feet. I don't know how many of Gadson's matches you have watched, but he is most certainly not a mat wrestler. I know that Snyder isn't a mat wrestler either, I just think  that freestyle favors both guys styles.

Takedowns in 2 career Gadson vs Snyder matches

Gadson-2

Snyder-0

Was very impressed with the "Gadson" move he used in the NCAA final. Definitely, one of my favorite moves.

Ok, so there's two moves now on my wish list for Vegas:

1. Would love to see an American hit a "Gadson" successfully, especially if needed as a desperation move to win.

2. Want to see some Americans hit the "folkstyle"  fireman's for 4, like the Russians do. 

Great to see him giving it a go, but he'll be a bit behind by missing the 2015 open.  When was the last time he wrestled freestyle?

He's wrestled freestyle in the room the past 5 years,  but I believe his freshman year he won FILA Jrs over Tanner Hall (and also tore his labrum in the process). Didn't wrestle much after that because he was always focused on getting healthy in the offseason (after having 3 or 4 labrum surgeries and a knee surgery).

I'm glad to see another talented college wrestler decide to go the international route, but I wouldn't put too much weight into those two wins by Gadson. Snyder was a 19 years old freshman. He still has a lot of upside ahead of him and is going to be very difficult to beat for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I'm saying Snyder has more upside then Gadson or any other USA wrestler. He could be at Burroughs level in a couple years. Are you saying I'm wrong? If so what gives you reason to think Gadson will have the same impact as JB? Dake, Stieber, Ruth and DT didn't and they were all at higher level then Gadson. What Burroughs did was extremely rare.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I am not sold on the fact that Dake, Stieber, Ruth and DT were at a higher level than the Senior Gadson was.  In fact, I think his senior year was nearly identical to Ruth's.  They are the only 2 names you listed that didn't seem 100% ready to go every match.  But, when they were ready to go they looked to be clearly the best guy at their weight.  And that is hard to say when Gadson had guys like Cox, Snyder, McIntosh, Schiller, Hartmann, Burak and Huntley.  When motivated Gadson ran through a weight class, with relative ease, that was chalk full of talented All Americans.  In fact, there was a legitimate argument that Gadson should have been the MOW of the 2015 DI NCAA Tournament!

I'm saying Snyder has more upside then Gadson or any other USA wrestler. He could be at Burroughs level in a couple years. Are you saying I'm wrong? If so what gives you reason to think Gadson will have the same impact as JB? Dake, Stieber, Ruth and DT didn't and they were all at higher level then Gadson. What Burroughs did was extremely rare.

Gadson is more explosvie than Snyder, stays in excellent position (much like Snyder), will be HUGE at 97 Kg (kyven dwarfed snyder at 197 lbs) and can attack both upper body/ lower level. 

The only things I could see that favor Snyder as a prospect are pace and age... Although Kyven is actually very young for his grade and just now turned 23.

Can someone win an Olympic Gold with just folk skills? Cael in 04. I agree most people can not. Beating someone in folk though is a pretty good indicator of how a freestyle match will go. Like people are saying the takedown is mostly the same except you just have to be a little more careful in freestyle. There is no doubt in my mind that handling Snyder twice this year in folk made Gadsen change his mind about giving it a shot. I am sure when Snyder beat Varner both KJ and Gadsen were shocked-KJ then said you see that? Get your a$$ back out there.    

I think it's a bit amusing to see age comments on message boards. When Kyle beat Varner at 19 people were like "He tore up an olympic gold medalist at 19! He is ready to beat the whole world at 97kg and take home his own Gold! But in the case of losing twice to Gadsden folks like Tiger are saying he was only 19 so I'm going to dismiss those two wins.. Being 19 gives Kyle a win win everytime. Damn, Wish i was 19 again..

I am not sold on the fact that Dake, Stieber, Ruth and DT were at a higher level than the Senior Gadson was.  In fact, I think his senior year was nearly identical to Ruth's.  They are the only 2 names you listed that didn't seem 100% ready to go every match.  But, when they were ready to go they looked to be clearly the best guy at their weight.  And that is hard to say when Gadson had guys like Cox, Snyder, McIntosh, Schiller, Hartmann, Burak and Huntley.  When motivated Gadson ran through a weight class, with relative ease, that was chalk full of talented All Americans.  In fact, there was a legitimate argument that Gadson should have been the MOW of the 2015 DI NCAA Tournament!

Reading Gadson's announcement pumped me up, hard not to root for this guy.  However, this is a borderline delusional argument.  Gadson better than Ruth and the OW?  Not nearly enough offense to be in the same category as those guys, and that's including Dake who had better defense, mat skills, etc.

I do think he matches up very well with Snyder, and will be a threat in freestyle.  He's perfectly suited for it.  Is he going to be as good as Burroughs?  Of course not, he never showed the sort of offensive repertoire that JB did in college.  But he's solid just like Snyder and Varner.

At their last NCAAs...

Gadson won by TF (19-4), Fall (4:55), MD (12-2), 4-1 (semis), and Fall (4:24) over Kyle Snyder. Harldy any offense. All snoozers. BOOOOOOOOOORING.

Steiber won by TF (18-1), Fall (2:10), TF (16-1), MD 12-2 (semis), and 11-5 in the finals.

Ruth won his last title going Fall (1:59), TF 15-0, MD 10-2, 5-3 (semis), 7-2 over Sheptock in the finals.

Looking at it like that I come away most impressed by Gadson's resume at his final NCAA tournament and he was clearly the OW over Steiber IMO. Fall in the finals is literally the ultimate goal and he tore it up to get there.

Ruth's is actually the least impressive. 

Edited by wrestlingphish

Can someone win an Olympic Gold with just folk skills? Cael in 04. I agree most people can not. Beating someone in folk though is a pretty good indicator of how a freestyle match will go. Like people are saying the takedown is mostly the same except you just have to be a little more careful in freestyle. There is no doubt in my mind that handling Snyder twice this year in folk made Gadsen change his mind about giving it a shot. I am sure when Snyder beat Varner both KJ and Gadsen were shocked-KJ then said you see that? Get your a$$ back out there.

Burroughs won World Gold in 11 with very little freestyle experience.

I think it's a bit amusing to see age comments on message boards. When Kyle beat Varner at 19 people were like "He tore up an olympic gold medalist at 19! He is ready to beat the whole world at 97kg and take home his own Gold! But in the case of losing twice to Gadsden folks like Tiger are saying he was only 19 so I'm going to dismiss those two wins.. Being 19 gives Kyle a win win everytime. Damn, Wish i was 19 again..

You act as if the two are mutually exclusive when they clearly are not. A talented 19 year would in fact have some exceptional performances yet could also slip up due to inexperience. This is so obvious it's hard to believe you don't see that. Maybe you should just stick to your cheer leading for Iowa wrestling and let the adults post on the real topics from now on. 

As an additional point, Snyder won the U.S. Open and WTTs after losing to Gadson. Who's to say Snyder hasn't had a jump in ability. At his age, certainly possible. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Instead of looking at college results MSU, here is a much more relevant way of looking at it:

Kyle Snyder: Jr. World Champion; U.S. Open Champion; World Team Trial Champion

Kevin Gadson: No senior results. 

I can't believe how many people are dismissing what Snyder has done and how quickly they are jumping on the Gadson bandwagon despite absolutely no freestyle results to justify it. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger