Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

College Recruiting Questions

My son will be a freshman in high school this fall. He is young (1st year cadet) for his age. I have seen very succesful freshmen who are first year cadets, Gable Steveson, second-year cadets, Spencer Lee and first year juniors, Cade Olivas. These are USA Wrestling groups not UWW. However, its certainly advantageous to be aanywher from 6 months - 2 years older. This thread is not intended to be another expose on what is right or wrong. Weve had enough of those. Assuming kids such as mine who are young for their grade and are behind physically against other freshmen who are year older, when should we expect that difference to disappear? In your opinion, for his long-term prospects, is it better to be younger? There are many examples of kids who are old for their grade maybe go to prep school, red shirt and are 21 yoa freshman and then they never seem to improve and/or get burned out. I I have it in my mind that younger kids may have more room for improvement when they get to college but do college coaches look at that and take that into consideration? Are kids who show up at Fargo for what should be their best year ( second year Jr) but have already graduated high school at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting vs kids and showed up for their last year of Fargo after their junior year of high school? Are most scholarships already gone by the time a kid graduates from high school? Finally, how tough is it to walk on at an above average Division one program? Thanks for your help

If I may be honest with you, you're way over-thinking this whole thing. As a former college coach and the dad of three boys, I would recommend making sure that your guy loves wrestling for him and wants to continue to improve on his terms and his coach's terms. Your son will let you know how he's feeling about the sport and his place in it and if he wants to dial it up or back. Don't force your ideas/concerns/perspectives on him and just be supportive. In the long run, he'll appreciate you a whole lot more for it than feeling as though he has to reach a certain level to make you happy, which is how I am reading a lot of what you wrote. My sincerest good luck to the both of you.

Edited by Tofurky

Tofurky, I appreciate your comment but these are mostly his questions not mine. I don't much about this I never wrestled. Used on all of this on his own with the exception of the fact that I told him he would not be held back so we could be one of the old kids in his grave. I guess it's not that big a deal because he's going to be able to go to college whether he gets it paid for or not. Thanks again for the reply and the honesty.

Excellent grades will earn him opportunities. Don't worry about age, motivation as a jr an sr is way more important. Smith, Sanderson and Burroughs all graduated HS @ 17. If he is a first year cadet and not yet in HS, then he is already older than most of his classmates.

I am not a college coach but have lived through this more than once.  Most scholarships, that I see will be offered before you graduate.  I do know some kids that were picked up at Senior nationals and I suppose if you did well at Fargo after your senior year it is possible.  Doing well (placing) would make walking on much easier.  I would be very careful about where you walk on.  I do know some coaches that don't treat walk ons well, and even make it tough for them to stay.

Don't be fixated on getting a wrestling scholarship. Too many parents/kids are fixated on that. Instead worry about academics as they will get him more money than wrestling will. People fail to realize DI programs get 9.9 scholarships and need to distribute that amongst 20ish kids. That is less than a half scholarship on average.

Work in the classroom or you will be in for a rude awakening come junior/senior year.

How can anyone be young for their age? Maybe you meant for his grade? Most incoming freshman are schoolboys, not 1st yr cadets so your son is not young for his grade and will be a 2nd yr junior after his junior year in high school. It seems he has that advantage you speak of that a kid like Gable Steveson didn't have as he was a schoolboy entering high school and will be a 1st year junior after his junior year of high school.

Concentrate on grades and training.

To answer your question, I thought it was an advantage to be young for  your grade. I was young for my grade as well and was wrestling cadets when I was a sophomore in high school when many kids are wrestling juniors by then. The experience of wrestling in a high school room for two years I thought gave me an advantage....until an 8th grade phenom beat me. This may or may not apply to your situation, however a good friend of mine has a daughter who was in gymnatics her whole life so that she could get a college scholarship - It started out as fun but then she got to the point of burn out. The gym was $300 a month - my question was, what if you just saved all that money every month for college?  The point being - I don't know your son from Dan Gable, but sometimes parents invest a boatload of money into a sport to get a scholarship and the kids ends up being burned out or not quite as good as it took to get that scholarship.

I agree with what everyone is saying and wrestling scholarships are hard to come by.  Realistically work to be the best you can be and let the chips fall.  Just like studying to get a good grade should not be the focus, studying to learn should be; wrestling to get a scholarship isn't the focus, wrestling to be the best you are capable of being should be.

Age and maturity are not always directly related. I would not worry about him being young for his age as long as he has a good understanding and maturity level. Academics is HUGE!!. Most D1 coaches are not willing to risk APR issues anymore. IE Northern Colorado a couple of years ago. In terms of exposure, besides doing well at his state tourney, So.& Jr  Nationals are important. Not so much for Sr. Nationals as the prime recruiting is over for the year. Fargo is a MUST. just being competitive there will put him on the radar. You have to remember with 9.9 schollys, and less in most cases, coaches are put in a position of gambling. Do they pass on a recruit who is ready to commit in order to wait for another prospect later? They risk losing both prospects. So come July 1st after his junior year he can start talking with coaches and be in a good and early position for consideration.

How can anyone be young for their age? Maybe you meant for his grade? Most incoming freshman are schoolboys, not 1st yr cadets so your son is not young for his grade and will be a 2nd yr junior after his junior year in high school. It seems he has that advantage you speak of that a kid like Gable Steveson didn't have as he was a schoolboy entering high school and will be a 1st year junior after his junior year of high school.

In my vast experience incoming freshmen are about evenly split between being a 1st year and 2nd year Cadet. The trend over the past 10 years has been to hold back(legitimately) boys that are born in May, June, or July with August being the cutoff for kindergarten.

In my vast experience incoming freshmen are about evenly split between being a 1st year and 2nd year Cadet. The trend over the past 10 years has been to hold back(legitimately) boys that are born in May, June, or July with August being the cutoff for kindergarten.

I have to agree with PapaBear, the normal age kid going into 9th grade should have wrestled 2nd year schoolboy during the summer before school started. If they are 1st and 2nd year cadets going into 9th grade they are older and may have a maturity advantage.  My son wrestled as a 2nd year cadet last summer before his junior year.

In my limited experience with kids (sarcasm) most incoming freshman are schoolboys and for that to change about half of the kids born before September would have to be held back or delayed in starting school. I know that people do it but not to that extent.

Either way even if I conceded that half are schoolboys and the other half are cadets, the OP's kid falls in the older half but is concerned about other kids having an age advantage...

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

Switching gears - Another source of info for the OP is the roster bios posted on every team's Web site. Pick a team and check accomplishments prior to college. Even the top 5 have members that wouldn't be called all-stars in hs, but they are a contributing member of a great college team. Also, those guys are probably great students. Some of the sites even include birthdays!

Sorry, of course I meant young for their grade. Thanks for all the info and help. One area where I will correct you is concerning the age of most freshmen. The vast majority of freshman in high school are first year cadets just as my son will be and Gable Steveson was. The only way you would find a school boy who is a freshman is if he started school early. Granted Gable wrestled in high school as an 8th grader so he was a schoolboy but this year, his freshman year, he was/is a cadet. Our league has over 500 kids and only 1 who will enter high school while still a schoolboy. Again, thanks for the input.

Sorry, of course I meant young for their grade. Thanks for all the info and help. One area where I will correct you is concerning the age of most freshmen. The vast majority of freshman in high school are first year cadets just as my son will be and Gable Steveson was. The only way you would find a school boy who is a freshman is if he started school early. Granted Gable wrestled in high school as an 8th grader so he was a schoolboy but this year, his freshman year, he was/is a cadet. Our league has over 500 kids and only 1 who will enter high school while still a schoolboy. Again, thanks for the input.

You said your son is an incoming freshman and is a 1st year cadet. Gable Steveson is going into his sophomore year and is also a 1st year cadet. Last year when he was an incoming freshman he was a schoolboy like most incoming freshman.

Based on your comment about all of the kids in your league entering high school as cadets I think there is some confusion as to when they are actually cadets. Are they eligible to wrestle in Fargo in 2 weeks and before entering high school or are you saying that they will be 1st year cadets in 2016 at the end of there freshman year?

If they are not Fargo eligible now they are schoolboys now not cadets. If they are Fargo eligible now then may I ask is your league in Brandon, FL or called St. Paris Graham? I kid.

Edited by PapaBearSLIM

You said your son is an incoming freshman and is a 1st year cadet. Gable Steveson is going into his sophomore year and is also a 1st year cadet. Last year when he was an incoming freshman he was a schoolboy like most incoming freshman.

Based on your comment about all of the kids in your league entering high school as cadets I think there is some confusion as to when they are actually cadets. Are they eligible to wrestle in Fargo in 2 weeks and before entering high school or are you saying that they will be 1st year cadets in 2016 at the end of there freshman year?

If they are not Fargo eligible now they are schoolboys now not cadets. If they are Fargo eligible now then may I ask is your league in Brandon, FL or called St. Paris Graham? I kid.

LOL. No, we are in that wrestling hotbed of Las Vegas Nevada. Sorry for the confusion yes I mean in 2016. My son just wrestled at Schoolboy Nationals and is in the 8th grade. But when the year changes next wrestling season he will be a first year cadet as a freshman the same as Gable. Sorry I didnt make it clearer. Are Brandon and St. Paris known for older kids?

LOL. No, we are in that wrestling hotbed of Las Vegas Nevada. Sorry for the confusion yes I mean in 2016. My son just wrestled at Schoolboy Nationals and is in the 8th grade. But when the year changes next wrestling season he will be a first year cadet as a freshman the same as Gable. Sorry I didnt make it clearer. Are Brandon and St. Paris known for older kids?

Now that makes more sense to me and your son is the typical age of kids in his class as he's a schoolboy until January 1, 2016.

Yes, a few of the kids have been known to be older than most in their classes.