Sign in to follow this  
stripedtshirt

UNC Head Coach Position Posting

I don't think anybody has so far, that I know of.......yet anyways.  It takes a lot for a college student to want to transfer schools, programs, etc.  My guess is that anybody who is concerned will wait it out to see what the direction of the program is going to be and make a decision later.

no. My point was, why is it an assumption that these guys are "Mock's recruits?"

Headlee is 100% a Coleman Scott recruit.

Okay... so Headlee is one guy. Was UNC's entire recruiting class this year just Headlee, who it appears is to be attributed to Coleman Scott?

In general, recruits are the head coach's "guys," meaning, the head coach usually takes credit for those who come into his program.

It's too much work to back out now.....and let's be honest, no one goes to UNC for its stellar wrestling program.   They go because the school is beautiful, the education is amazing, and it's a great place to be (and it doesnt' hurt that it's 70% female)...they just happen to wrestle and UNC offered them a scholarship to help fill the roster.  They're not going to want to leave the public ivy because of a change in coaching staff.  They're going to have to do what they have to do to get by and get their scholarhship.  

Boll_weevil, I also don't remember Mock and his staff getting too much credit for their top 5 recruiting class a few years ago (3 top 100 guys ), but Coleman steps on the scene and gets a decent recruit and UNC wrestling is on another level?  

Edited by stripedtshirt

I understand that it's late in the game and people don't want to change now. Some of those guys may be there already and are focused on what is ahead of them.

The issue is that Coleman Scott, the guy with, seemingly, the inside track to the job, has one year of assistant coaching experience, no head coaching experience and continues to split his time between coaching and his own competitive career. Who is the last American guy who has been successful at both competing consistently and head coaching at the same time? Hell, even John Smith said--I believe on one of the early Flo videos--that had he had any idea that he wasn't going to be as successful a competitor or coach as he could be, because he couldn't dedicate himself full-time to either pursuit, he wouldn't have started coaching or he would have stopped competing sooner.

I suspect Coleman may become an excellent coach when he decides to dedicate himself to the pursuit full-time. I just don't see how UNC is all of the sudden a major player, according to some in this thread, because a guy with one year of assistant coaching under his belt is apparently responsible for recruiting one guy in the current recruiting class, but has his eyes on competing through the 2016 Olympic Games at a minimum, may be the next head coach.

Tofurky, and consider some of the coaches who are reportedly interested in the job, and given the cricket treatment. Tim Flynn? Pretty sure his team had a decent NCAA Tournament last year. Rob Koll? North Carolina alum, who's built up Cornell to the point where they're generally at least a top five-to-ten team? And you're going to tell them lalalalalala we can't hear you? Remember, Coleman Scott had no tie whatsoever to the University of North Carolina before last year.

In so many words, Bubba Cunningham can do better than he's doing. Furthermore, North Carolina has a top-15 dual team this year, and probably a top 20 tournament team.

EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better myself, Tofurky...it's as if you're inside my head!

SetonHallPirate--these are the same things we've been saying in my circles--I just wish we could get the word to Bubba

Edited by stripedtshirt

Tofurky, and consider some of the coaches who are reportedly interested in the job, and given the cricket treatment. Tim Flynn? Pretty sure his team had a decent NCAA Tournament last year. Rob Koll? North Carolina alum, who's built up Cornell to the point where they're generally at least a top five-to-ten team? And you're going to tell them lalalalalala we can't hear you? Remember, Coleman Scott had no tie whatsoever to the University of North Carolina before last year.

In so many words, Bubba Cunningham can do better than he's doing. Furthermore, North Carolina has a top-15 dual team this year, and probably a top 20 tournament team.

Koll and Flynn are interested in leaving their current gigs to go to UNC or are you just throwing that out there?