Sign in to follow this  
stripedtshirt

UNC Head Coach Position Posting

Keep in mind

1) a lot of 'big names' are interested in applying for or interviewing for a particular job with their actual intention of making the move and taking the job far less of a inclination.

2) perhaps the administration knows/likes what they have in Coleman Scott. 

if the UNC AD really is sold on Coleman and not listening to interested applicants, i don't have much of a problem with it. not sure why anyone would. it's not like Coleman has proven NOT to be a good head coach.

Just so I understand your point, Willie, you're saying that some coaches are actually interested in applying for or interviewing for the North Carolina job to try to get something out of their current schools instead? Just trying to understand your point...not agreeing or disagreeing with it.

I know of some people who have been interested over the past few years of the possibility of the UNC job if it ever opened, until they learned how low the operating budget and head coach salary is, compared with other places. Near the bottom of the ACC in both categories.

if the UNC AD really is sold on Coleman and not listening to interested applicants, i don't have much of a problem with it. not sure why anyone would. it's not like Coleman has proven NOT to be a good head coach.

Can you imagine any other sport at UNC or any Power 5 conference school handing a head coach position to someone with a single year of assistant coaching experience?

If either Koll or Flynn are seriously interested and their interest isn't some BS rumor, UNC would be beyond idiotic to not bring one of those proven winners in. They would be about as big an upgrade in coaching as is possible at UNC and either would be as close to a sure thing to turning the program around as there exists in coaching.

I have a really hard time believing Koll is seriously interested, however, given his situation at the extremely well-funded Cornell. Flynn, I could see.

Columbia_Lou, that's not what I'm saying: He went to UNC,therefore, I'm talking about his experience at UNC and the coaches there.  I can't, or you can't, say anything about how well someone would have done under different circumstances and at a different school.  I'm not taking anything away from Ramos, and you are absolutely correct...Ramos is the person to be receiving credit for his accomplishment.  What I'm saying is that it wasn't Coleman on the mat with him every day, nor was it Neil.  The point of my last post was to point out how the new coaching staff isn't exactly making the greatest decisions thus far.

who is in this thread saying UNC is suddenly a "major player?"

I certainly didn't say that. I said the program is headed in a better direction. Which I believe to be true based on what I've seen.

Your excitement for the team's change in "attitude," which you clearly feel Scott is entirely responsible for, and what is ahead of the Heels is not at all difficult to read. Does OSU alum and former coach Neil Erisman, who has more collegiate coaching experience than Scott, receive any of the credit for the team's new attitude and direction or is that reserved for Scott alone because he has a better competitive resume?

In the last three seasons, UNC has finished 22, 25 and 24 as a team at nationals with five, four and five qualifiers in those same years and one All-American in each one. Obviously Evan Henderson wasn't in the line-up this past season, but if he's not a top three guy at the end of this coming season, does that mean that Scott hasn't done his job? If once Henderson graduates, and should UNC finish in the 20s as a team with Scott on staff in any capacity, does that mean Scott is only as good as Mock at his best?

In as far as which guys are responsible for Ramos's ascent, disregarding Erisman, who was a three-time qualifier and round of 12 his senior season, would be crazy. Ramos's workout partner, Staudenmayer, was a three-time qualifier and bumped up his senior year to 174. He has to be given some credit. With Evan Henderson redshirting and not having to worry about weight, how much of a role, even if small, did he play in Ramos making the medal stand? There's a whole lot at play there to make Ethan into the wrestler he was this season. One guy alone was not the cause, as it never is.

Finally, with all that Koll has accomplished at Cornell U., would Bubba Cunningham not bend over backwards to bring Rob, an alum, in and potentially make UNC an annual top five contender? Do any of the NC folks have a sense of what AD Cunningham's real thoughts are regarding wrestling? Does anyone have a sense for the Heels' team budget?(There's a NY Times article from 2011 that says Cornell's team budget was $500K then, with 75% coming from donations. Cunningham has to see that as a bonus) Personally, having been a fan of the Heels since the early 1990s when the TarHeels were at their peak as a team, I'd love to see UNC make that commitment, pull that trigger and become that team. That would be awesome for Division I wrestling to potentially have a such a strong team in the south eastern region of the country.

Guest Kingsland

Good post, Staudenmayer bumped up his RS junior year, he still has one year of eligibility.

If UNC can get Koll, they should do it, but I don't see why he'd want to go there. Yes, he wrestled there, but he is not from the area and he graduated 26 years ago. It's not like he has some strong ties to the area. Plus, he's in a better situation at Cornell for a lot of reasons.

Anything can happen, but this would be a huge surprise.

the UNC AD really is sold on Coleman and not listening to interested applicants, i don't have much of a problem with it. not sure why anyone would. it's not like Coleman has proven NOT to be a good head coach.

That is a good point, although ill bet a lot of people(including me) could also claim that. If that is his biggest plus, I would suggest looking at other resumes, asap

I highly doubt Koll would go to UNC, or otherwise leave Cornell anytime soon for that matter. That said, it would be huge if they could get him, not quite Sanderson to PSU impact, but pretty darn significant.

Listen to the most recent Flo Radio Live episode. It came from there.

Actually CP indicates he "had it confirmed" that Flynn and Rosseli "were at least interested".  A bit later he adds that he heard a rumor that even Rob Koll would be interested.  Kinda shakey reporting, IMO.

I've been a silent observer on this board for more than a few years, but decided to come up for air on this topic.  Here are a few facts about this mess:

-Some of the big time assistant coaches expressed their interest to the university as soon as the change was announced (weeks before the posting).

Bubba Cunningham's path to his current role is: 

-student-athlete at Notre Dame, graduate student at Notre Dame, worked in athletic dept at Notre Dame from graduating in '84 until 2002.

-AD at Ball State 2002-2005

-AD at Tulsa from 2005-2011

-Bubba served as Notre Dame's associate AD for finance and facilities from 1995 to 2002.  Among his responsibilities while at Notre Dame per his bio on the goheels.com site: "Cunningham was responsible for developing an equity plan to meet Title IX requirements."

-Notre Dame dropped their program in the spring of 1992.

-the only NCAA wrestling program Bubba has been around was kicked to the curb by one of the most well endowed athletics programs in the country.

All of this does not make me feel good about the situation.  Many believe that Kolat left because he thought the administration does not want to win in Chapel Hill.  I hate to say it, but I feel like our athletics department is fine with being a powerhouse in basketball, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, track, cross country, field hockey, etc and doesn't care about a few of the "fringe olympic sports."

Rameses

Edited by Rameses

I've been a silent observer on this board for more than a few years, but decided to come up for air on this topic.  Here are a few facts about this mess:

-Some of the big time assistant coaches expressed their interest to the university as soon as the change was announced (weeks before the posting).

Bubba Cunningham's path to his current role is: 

-student-athlete at Notre Dame, graduate student at Notre Dame, worked in athletic dept at Notre Dame from graduating in '84 until 2002.

-AD at Ball State 2002-2005

-AD at Tulsa from 2005-2011

-Bubba served as Notre Dame's associate AD for finance and facilities from 1995 to 2002.  Among his responsibilities while at Notre Dame per his bio on the goheels.com site: "Cunningham was responsible for developing an equity plan to meet Title IX requirements."

-Notre Dame dropped their program in the spring of 1992.

-the only NCAA wrestling program Bubba has been around was kicked to the curb by one of the most well endowed athletics programs in the country.

All of this does not make me feel good about the situation.  Many believe that Kolat left because he thought the administration does not want to win in Chapel Hill.  I hate to say it, but I feel like our athletics department is fine with being a powerhouse in basketball, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, track, cross country, field hockey, etc and doesn't care about a few of the "fringe olympic sports."

Rameses

I think it's a tough situation, and empathize with Kolat's frustrations. Especially now, when you have to look back and wonder if you had stuck around a year. No disrespect to Campbell, but it's not UNC.

While I don't question Scott's abilities on the mat and trust his coaching is great as well, that's quite a leap professionally to assume the responsibilities as a head coach that has to contend with an AD and other university officials. 

Is Erisman the only assistant there at the moment? Wonder if they bring in someone that can handle the administrative aspect?