Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Most wins Over Former/Current World Team Members --- w/out Making a Team

Another great wrestler who never made a world team had wins over 6 world or Olympic team members.  All 6 wrestlers he beat won at least a world silver medal.  He has wins over Mark Schultz, Dave Schultz, Kevin Jackson, Melvin Douglas, Royce Alger, and Jim Scheer.  That gives him wins over 4 world champions, 3 Olympic Champions, and 2 world silver medalists.  He also has a tie vs. Kenny Monday.  Who is he?

UM158

You and Lee Fullhart with 8! I can't believe that honestly and not making a team. Anyone above 8? I seriously doubt it!

Yep that's me always the Bridesmaid never the Bride. :-(  Did make and won the Espoir World Championship Team in 1987. 

Beat Narsir G. from Russia in the finals 5-4.  He went on to place 2nd in the SR. Worlds in 1990. 

What is Lee Fullhart doing now? Being right there and beating Gutches, Burton, Cael, Hrovat, Eggum, Lawal, Herbert, and Hartung is pretty sick. Wonder if that crushed him mentally a bit. Not winning anything in college got me all bent out of shape, can't imagine being that close and beating all those top guys but never making it.

What is Lee Fullhart doing now? Being right there and beating Gutches, Burton, Cael, Hrovat, Eggum, Lawal, Herbert, and Hartung is pretty sick. Wonder if that crushed him mentally a bit. Not winning anything in college got me all bent out of shape, can't imagine being that close and beating all those top guys but never making it.

He's a border patrol agent now. 

Another great wrestler who never made a world team had wins over 6 world or Olympic team members.  All 6 wrestlers he beat won at least a world silver medal.  He has wins over Mark Schultz, Dave Schultz, Kevin Jackson, Melvin Douglas, Royce Alger, and Jim Scheer.  That gives him wins over 4 world champions, 3 Olympic Champions, and 2 world silver medalists.  He also has a tie vs. Kenny Monday.  Who is he?

That would be the indomitable Mike Sheets.

SCHERR, for the past 53 years, anyway. ;-)

UM 158 aka Joe Pantaleo as a tie breaker with Fullhart, didn't you also beat Lewboo in golf a few times

Hahaha  LMAO.....sad to say the only person to beat me more at golf than Lewboo did was, Dan Wirnsberger.  But, I did also beat both, Marty and Gordy Morgan.  Marty in Freestyle and Gordy in Greco & Freestyle. 

I will say, I only beat 3 guys after they had made a world or Olympic team.  The others came before they made a team. 

I say for quality of wins....the winner is Sheets!! 

Edited by UM158

Sheets beat Dave Schultz for the Big Eight title during Schultz's senior year AND in the dual the week before, both by 4-3 margins.

He may have the most collegiate wins over Schultz of anyone.

Mike Sheets also defeated Melvin Douglas all six times they wrestled in college.