Sign in to follow this  
legger

Leg Riders Wrestling Tree

I wanted to gain some knowledge on who taught the great leg riders of 80's and 90's generation of well know leg riders. The fairly recent and current ones are obvious like the Perry brothers.

Thanks in advance for any insights. I did search the archives and did not see any specific coaching tree.

Back in the day, Rick Sanders was pretty effective with legs, yet characteristically, not in the conventional way. He could initiate a ‘pinning combination’ (the nail) and then throw in the legs (impetus) with an encouraging blast akin to the force of a Burroughs double (the hammer)… Kinda’ like turning ABC into BAC.

Edited by OKnowwhut

It is really interesting to see how leg riding has evolved through the generations. I really enjoyed David Taylor and Kyle Dake adapt the Gene Mills half from the knees, into basically half series from the crab ride since it is pretty hard to get the half and wrist from the hip spiral anymore.

Most coaches simply do not have the time to show legs to whole teams and if they did, only a few would really be comfortable.

Seems like most leg riders try to force crab situation when they are being leg ridden themselves as it is less stable riding then other leg riding situations.

Generation ago you could tell what teams focus on leg riding but not so much anymore.

Wrestlers with  great leg counters are less common now or so it seems.

It is really interesting to see how leg riding has evolved through the generations. I really enjoyed David Taylor and Kyle Dake adapt the Gene Mills half from the knees, into basically half series from the crab ride since it is pretty hard to get the half and wrist from the hip spiral anymore.

Most coaches simply do not have the time to show legs to whole teams and if they did, only a few would really be comfortable.

Seems like most leg riders try to force crab situation when they are being leg ridden themselves as it is less stable riding then other leg riding situations.

Generation ago you could tell what teams focus on leg riding but not so much anymore.

Wrestlers with  great leg counters are less common now or so it seems.

As regarding your last sentence about great counters, I think that is mostly due to the way it's called at the high school level.  Most places, if a guy puts legs in, all the bottom guy has to do is turtle up and then the ref will let him out by calling a stalemate or stalling on the top guy.  Bottom guy doesn't need to learn counters, just how to stall for a little bit and the ref will let him out.

As regarding your last sentence about great counters, I think that is mostly due to the way it's called at the high school level.  Most places, if a guy puts legs in, all the bottom guy has to do is turtle up and then the ref will let him out by calling a stalemate or stalling on the top guy.  Bottom guy doesn't need to learn counters, just how to stall for a little bit and the ref will let him out.

In Michigan High School, it's the opposite....if the bottom guy 'turtles', there will be a stalemate the first time. After that, they ding the bottom guy with stalling---even when the top guy just throws in the legs, and sits there waiting for the bottom guy to place himself into jeopardy.

My opinion is, if you put the legs in, you best start using them. Otherwise, you are the one causing the stall. 

In Michigan High School, it's the opposite....if the bottom guy 'turtles', there will be a stalemate the first time. After that, they ding the bottom guy with stalling---even when the top guy just throws in the legs, and sits there waiting for the bottom guy to place himself into jeopardy.

My opinion is, if you put the legs in, you best start using them. Otherwise, you are the one causing the stall. 

huge difference between one and two legs. 

Ron Pifer was known as a great leg guy back in the "old" days.  Also coached at West Point for awhile in the late 70"s.

Thanks Pennsyrules. I checked out Ron Pifer. He is definitely on the legger tree. He wrote the book on leg riding. Literally. I looked up his leg riding clinic on youtube. Entertaining and some good stuff there too,