Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Sargsyan - Armenia July 18-19

From some tweets I saw, sounds like a lot of guys are going from Spain to Armenia to compete in the Sargsyan Cup while the Pan Am Games go on. Anyone got any news on the participants, streaming, etc? 

can't find a website but according to this it's $5K to the winner

There's also a senior freestyle tournament in Romania, not sure if Americans are going.

Just pencilled in for now.  Will be a better go for the guys than Spain. 

Flagulyan, Safaryan and Berianidze for Armenia should probably be there.

UULU from KGZ at 57 who can always cause fits.  Won the NYAC one year.

Zaseev, Oleinik from UKR probably. 

Baitsaev, Ktsoev, Rubaev from Russia.  Not too much from the lower weights.

Edited by Hubbard

guess we got our answer for the US entrants (see front page article)

61 kg/134 lbs. – Reece Humphrey, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC/Ohio RTC)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
74 kg/163 lbs. – David Taylor, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – Richard Perry, Philadelphia, Pa. (New York AC/Pennsylvania RTC)
97 kg/213 lbs. – Wynn Michalak, Champaign, Ill. (Titan Mercury WC)

solid group of dudes. 

if we can get a stream, the semis and finals should from 9am-11am EST, which will lead into the Pan Am prelims that start at 230pm. 

Biggest FS win of Taylor's carrer.  It is entirely possible that 3 of the top 4/5, if not top 3, 74KG wrestlers are Americans.  People have posted that before but I never bought it.  I am starting to think it might actually be true.

Edited by Angry_Fish

How was Taylor not awarded back points on take downs #1 and #4? Seems he got back exposure on both of them. 

Had the same question --- saw almost identical situations (cored the same way) in Spain and in the Pan Am Games.  I don't undertand how they are calling that.

very nice match from DT. his step over in the scramble for his 2nd take down was pretty. 

not ready to put Taylor in the top 5 internationally yet but i can see him getting more comfortable in freestyle and working his way up. he still looks a little tentative and a hair slower than the elite guys but if he can get more aggressive and instinctual i think he can start pulling off bigger wins. 

nice of molinaro to lend him his blue singlet too. guess that bag got lost by the airline. 

Had the same question --- saw almost identical situations (cored the same way) in Spain and in the Pan Am Games.  I don't undertand how they are calling that.

not  rules expert but Khubezhty was countering Taylor's shots and put himself in danger. Taylor never initiated a move that put Khubezhty on his back. calling matches this way encourages risk and big moves. 

\