Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Pan Am's on ESPN3

Looks like ESPN3 will be showing all 4 days of wrestling live! Coverage starts at 230 and 8 Eastern standard time. Looks like just two mats so it shouldn't be too hard to follow. The official Pan Am site has a pretty good, detailed schedule too.

Mango, Saddoris, Bisek and Anderson go for us today in Greco. Williams and Smith go tomorrow, along with the first two women's weights. Escobedo and Metcalf in freestyle on Friday, along with the rest of the women's weights. Burroughs, Herbert, Snyder and Dlagnev close it out Saturday.

ESPN3 had great coverage of the medal rounds at the Worlds last year, so I imagine this will be pretty good! We should thank ESPN for the coverage and maybe we can convince them to cover junior or cadet worlds too!

I'm no expert on Greco, but I did read that Mango's first opponent is the Cuban who, like Mango, took 5th at the worlds last year. Should be a tough first round match, would think the winner would be a favorite. Not familiar with anyone at 66 or 86, Bisek should be a favorite at 75 and will probably put on a show. Not sure what to expect tomorrow at 97, and at heavy Smith will have his hands full with Mijan Lopez, hopefully they are on opposite sides and don't meet until the finals. I have to imagine the team race comes down to the U.S. and Cuba.

In freestyle, same story, probably comes down to the U.S. and Cuba. Cuba is only sending 5 but all 5 are pretty good. Escobedo will have his hands full with Bonne, as will Herbert with Salas, but like Smith in Greco hopefully these guys are on opposite sides of the brackets. Metcalf has two quality opponents in Gomez and Garcia but I would still favor Metcalf. Nobody in this tournament is even close to Burroughs, he should blitz the field even with a 4 time medalist in Lopez in his weight, we've seen that Lopez is not on par with Burroughs. I wouldn't think anybody at 120 should be a real challenege for Dlagnev. Snyder has a returning bronze medalist in Cortina whom he beat at Beat the Streets.

Very disappointed in Spencer Mango's offensive effort. Thought he did nothing against the Cuban, but lucked out with 3 push outs and the win on criteria. Then his semifinal match looked like he left all of his offense back in Colorado Springs.

If he doesn't trust his offense and open it up more, there's no way he'll medal in Vegas. Sorry to come across so critical, but I've seen amazing offense from him in the past. Today he had no offense.

I was going to type the exact same thing but you beat me to it. Literally last second push out saved him against a. Very good Cuban, but to see him make mistakes in par terre like that against a seemingly inferior opponent was definitely discouraging. This is a very tough weight internationally and doesn't leave me feeling great about his chances at worlds.

I was also a little disappointed in the coverage in that it only showed may 2. Didn't get to see Bisek or Saddoris, but the scores indicate total dominance. I did see both of Andersons matches and he looked great, very aggressive and offensive. Once the first three made the finals, with Mango having beaten the Cuban I really thought we could have a clean sweep on day 1. Should still be fun to watch the finals tonight tho, go USA!

Andy Bisek looks great. This weight class is stacked, but Andy should be one of the favorites in Vegas.

I'm starting to think his top par terre is even better than Arsen's. Turn baby, turn, Greco inferno!

Edited by 2td3nf

Andy Bisek looks great. This weight class is stacked, but Andy should be one of the favorites in Vegas.

I'm starting to think his top par terre is even better than Arsen's. Turn baby, baby turn, Greco inferno!

That throw lifting the guy from the par terre position was a thing of beauty.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

Another thing that UWW has to fix:

What is this? Just about every match, the wrestlers are introduced, storm the mat, shake hands, and once again, the table refs aren't ready. Everybody has to wait, for what?  So unprofessional.

So why let the wrestlers storm the mat if refs aren't ready? No excuse, and not fair to the wrestlers, and not fair to the fans, and just kills the initial intensity.

Please President Lalovic, fix this

Edited by 2td3nf

So much for my hope about Smith and Lopez being on opposite sides, looks like they will hit in the semis. Tall task for Smith, but hey if Rulon can upset Karelin why can't Smith beat Lopez? Not sure about anyone in Williams bracket, but he is on the opposite side as the Cuban so who knows. Hopefully our last two Greco guys keep it rolling from yesterday and hopefully our first two women get the women's team started off right!

ESPN2 showed both complete US finals matches for last night. Nice coverage.  I will say that Greco is tough for any commentator to do a good job on.  The announcers did the right thing and said very little and stuck to generalities about the scoring.

I was disappointed that when they showed the highlights of Bisek's matches they left out the four point lift. I guess that is up to the director who doesn't understand wrestling.

They also show the bird's eye view camera angle which is completely useless IMO

Anyone ever heard if the guy who won 59? Dominantly too. Unreal.

Had a close match in round 1 against DOM (7-6) and then beats Mango 9-1!

Bio on the PanAm website doesn't show much:

First in Greco-Roman -59 kg at 2014 South American Games

Competed at 2014 Pan Am wrestling championships 

Started wrestling competitively at age 15

Anyone ever heard if the guy who won 59? Dominantly too. Unreal.

In 2008 Nikko Triggas beat Ecuador’s Andres Montano to win Greco gold at the Pan American Junior Greco-Roman Championships. In March of 2014 at the South American Games, Montano defeated Juan Lopez Asprilla of Columbia. He won the gold and qualified his country for the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto. The Pan Am was a good 'under the radar' win for Mr. Montano and Ecuador...say hello to my little friend.

I have a doubt about a Greco rule:

Lopez teched his opponent in 90 seconds in the finals, Lopez in his first takedown on the finals seemed to have used his feet to trip the guy after using the arm drag, I thought this was not allowed, could anyone clarify this for me? (image below)

lLFgsmO.jpg

I have a doubt about a Greco rule:

Lopez teched his opponent in 90 seconds in the finals, Lopez in his first takedown on the finals seemed to have used his feet to trip the guy after using the arm drag, I thought this was not allowed, could anyone clarify this for me? (image below)

lLFgsmO.jpg

I didn't see the action, but (unless the rules changed recently) as long your foot is firmly planted prior to the move an opponent can run into it during the course of the move without a leg foul being called. If however he stuck his foot out during the movement then the foul should have been called. Edited by MadMardigain

I didn't see the action, but (unless the rules changed recently) as long your foot is firmly planted prior to the move an opponent can run into it during the course of the move without a leg foul being called. If however he stuck his foot out during the movement then the foul should have been called.

You can watch it here -> http://panam.cbc.ca/videos/live/video/wrestling-2000-570374.html (the replay of the action happens on the 5:46:43):

He started the move with the arm drag then he stuck his foot right there to trip the guy, I thought this was strange, but nobody called it.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

Missed the action today. What happened to Caylor, guessing he got thrown a few times? And what was the Smith-Lopez semi like? The front page just says loss, no score.

Also, great job yesterday to Jon Anderson. Enjoyed watching him go out there, beat up guys, and score points.