Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Pan Am's on ESPN3

Some final Greco thoughts: I'm not sure what, if any implications our performance has heading into worlds. Some guys gave very encouraging performances, others not so much. Mango has already been mentioned and hopefully he turns it around. Saddoris looked good, maybe he just made one mistake in the finals, maybe the other guy was just better, hard to tell but either way I'm not sure he's a medal threat just yet. Bisek certainly didn't disappoint and you have to feel good about him right now. Anderson looked awesome, and he's our number two guy, so you would have to think Holm is wrestling just as well to be able to beat him.

Disappointed in Caylor Williams. I didn't see his match but the score wasn't close, and the guy he lost to wasn't close to beating the guy who lost in the finals. I think he still has a way to go before he will be a serious threat on the world stage. Then there's Smith, we can't really say we learned much about him, he pinned an inferior opponent in about 30 seconds, then lost to an all time great, then won by default. We can say it doesn't appear Lopez is slipping or Smith is closing that gap, but that doesn't mean Smith isn't still a medal threat at worlds.

I got to see a few women's matches and man are they fun to watch. These girls get after it, the matches are almost never low scoring and boring and the technique is awesome! Women's wrestling deserves more attention than it gets. Lampe's first round match with the Canadian was awesome, back and fourth, she just gave up too many exposures to be able to make the comeback. A gold and bronze isn't a bad way for the women's team to start. We only have 4 of the 6 weights competing in women's, so I don't know if that's enough to win a team title or not. Have to think Gray will be a strong favorite for gold today and Clodgo should medal as well.

Kicking off men's freestyle today, glad to see that Metcalf, Gomez and Garcia are all separated and not hitting in the first round or all on one side of the bracket. Looks like Metcalf would see Gomez in the semis, assuming they both win, then potential see Garcia in the finals. Personally I wanted to see Metcalf hit them both so he can get all the quality competition possible. I know he and Garcia have had some battles in the past so if he gets by Gomez like I honk he will, that should be a good one!

The bracket isn't posted even tho the matches are. Does anyone know if Escobedo will hit Bonne in the semis or finals? They don't meet first round which is good, and hopefully they are on opposite sides of the bracket. Bonne being at 57 for a UWW sanctioned event should get him in the next set of rankings at 57 I would imagine.

Generally the officials in Greco are more lenient about offensive leg fouls than defensive.  This seem particularly true internationally. There was a thread on here a couple of years ago regarding a similar scoring situation.  In that case it was what appeared to be an inside trip that one wrestler was using on a regular basis.  

The UWW site has a link to the Pan Am's with both mats, but they're not streaming. It links back to ESPN3 with one mat only, to the best of  knowledge. Pretty sure there was only one mat streaming the first day of this tournament as well. Missed Bisek, etc.

Who makes these decisions? 

The UWW site has a link to the Pan Am's with both mats, but they're not streaming. It links back to ESPN3 with one mat only, to the best of  knowledge. Pretty sure there was only one mat streaming the first day of this tournament as well. Missed Bisek, etc.

Who makes these decisions? 

I would guess ESPN does since they own the broadcast rights.