Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Pan Am's on ESPN3

Or even better, should have had Jason Bryant (or CP, Gibbons, Richie Immel, Bader, or someone) webcasting Mat 1 throughout the tournament.

Very disappointing only one mat was webcasted for this World class wrestling tournament.  

The great Jeff Blatnick is rolling over in his grave right now

Ok, sort of agree with boconnell. Metcalf didn't come out firing on all cylinders to start against Maren.

Don't want to see him hang around toe to toe with the best guys, and see who gets the best/first/only takedown so to speak (2010, 2013, 2014).

Agree that Metcalf is at his best when he attacks his opponents and goes after points for the full 6 minutes. 

Edited by 2td3nf

I agree that Metcalf was slow to get his offense going, ( something I don't like to see ) however, he did

Eventually wear down Gomez and the Cuban. I noticed that the Cuban was trying to stand as tall as possible, probably to counter Metcalf's head pressure. Nice win for Brent he faced two quality guys enroute to his win. Hopefully he puts altogether at the World's this year.

One more thing - how about Bonne? He looked fantastic again.

Will be interesting to see where he places among the very deep, 57kg weight class in Vegas. 

I'm betting on him to get the gold this year.

I hope Metcalf goes for the gold in the Worlds as well, he wrestled great tonight, especially in the finals.

I don't think Metcalf was slow to get on his offense at all. I think he was patient, used good setups and took only good shots. One thing that used to get him in trouble in freestyle was giving up exposures off his own shots. He seems to have eliminated that, as well as I'm

Roving his defense, which is why he's wrestling at his highest level yet. Being aggressive doesn't mean shoot, shoot , shoot. He was pushing the pace and wrestling smart. The other criticism he often takes is that he isn't that athletic, but after watching him counter some of those shots and some of his scrambles I don't know how anyone could make that claim.

Last day of freestyle. It was great to see a couple of USA vs Cuba finals last night, was really hoping to see 3 more tonight but that was asking too much. Looks like we'll see Burroughs vs Lopez in the first round, Snyder vs Cortina in the semis and a possible Herbert vs Salas final.

Definitely a shame Burroughs and Lopez hit in the first round. Both are 4 time world/Olympic medalists and easily the two most decorated freestyle wrestlers in the tournament. It's really only a shame for Lopez, because I don't think he is on Burroughs level at all, Burroughs is the bad draw for anyone in this bracket. It would just be nice to see the two best in the finals and I'm sure Lopez would prefer silver to bronze.

Snyder should see Cortina in the semis unless someone gets upset, but I doubt it. Snyder beat him at Beat The Streets, and like every time an American beats a good international opponent there we are always reminded that it was just an exhibition that the foreign opponents don't put much stock in (although when one of our guys gets beat it seems to be treated as a very meaningful result like Ramos vs Bonne). This should be Snyder's chance to beat him in a "real" match, which I think he will. Would be awesome to see our 19 year old phenom win gold here!

Herbert has to go thru the Olympic silver medalist in the semis, but I don't think that will be a problem for him. Espanol's results before and after the Olympics mKe me think his draw had a lot to do with that medal (not trying to take anything away from an Olympic silver, great accomplishment but just calling it like I see it) and I think Herbert is wrestling great right now. He is older and wiser, bigger and stronger than his last time on the world stage. Salas seems to be a bad matchup for Herbert tho. I remember watching Salas make him look bad at the 2010 Worlds. Salas has won the last two silver medals, so this is a pretty big and important match to see if Herbert has figured out a strategy to beat him or close the gap. Easily the most anticipated bout for me.

I'm not familiar with any names at heavyweight other than Rey. I would like to think that a guy who has beaten Dlagnev recently and won Pan Am's before should run thru this bracket. Here's hoping for a strong last day from the freestyles, go USA!

Good recap.

I think that World Cup matches do "count"; it's not some nothing tournament and guys seem to take it seriously. It is annoying having probably the best 2 guys in the tournament go first round.

Jarvis from Canada has beaten Rey before I think.

Bonne is terrifying as always- Esco kind of gave him those points though. You can't stand up and lean into a great thrower like he did. Not sure if Bonne is the best 57 (we will find out soon enough) but he's definitely the most fun.

Good recap.

I think that World Cup matches do "count"; it's not some nothing tournament and guys seem to take it seriously. It is annoying having probably the best 2 guys in the tournament go first round.

Jarvis from Canada has beaten Rey before I think.

Bonne is terrifying as always- Esco kind of gave him those points though. You can't stand up and lean into a great thrower like he did. Not sure if Bonne is the best 57 (we will find out soon enough) but he's definitely the most fun.

World Cup matches absolutly count, but I was referring to the Beat the Streets event where Snyder beat Cortina and Bonne beat Ramos.

Didn't realize Jarvis had beaten Rey, when was that? If so, that could be a tough one for Rey wrestling on Jarvis's home soil.

I expect Rey to pick up his game and eventually succeed Dlagnev as our future. Rey has separated himself from the rest of US heavies IMO. big boys need to stop relying on the shot clock for last scores and OPEN IT UP! 

can't find the match results but Jarvis finished ahead of Rey at the 2014 Schultz tournament so that's probably where he got beat. not a lot of losses for Rey in the following 18 months. he's looking good lately. healthy too. Beat the Cuban Ramos at the pan am championships a few months ago. i think he wins this tournament. Jarvis v Rey would be a fitting finals match to end the wrestling competition.