Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Pan Am's on ESPN3

i'm in favor of eliminating riding time, standing people up after 30 seconds AND calling stalling appropriately, for both top and bottom man.

I hope they don't do that, riding time is one of the main things I like about folk, the top control one exerts over another, it even translates well for MMA.

I would be fine with the idea of riding time if it only accumulated when the top man was actually riding.  In other words only run the RT clock when a guy is actually on top and would receive a TD for his current position.  Laying on my stomach and holding your leg while waiting for a stale mate, while you sprawl on top of me, should never be called "riding".  

Edited by boconnell

I would be fine with the idea of riding time if it only accumulated when the top man was actually riding.  In other words only run the RT clock when a guy is actually on top and would receive a TD for his current position.  Laying on my stomach and holding your leg while waiting for a stale mate, while you sprawl on top of me, should never be called "riding".  

I didn't know that position (in bold) would run riding time clock, and yes, this shouldn't be riding.

I didn't know that position (in bold) would run riding time clock, and yes, this shouldn't be riding.

If the man holding the leg started on top then the RT clock would continue.  A good chunk of the "riding" in this last NCAA tournament was accumulated by top men in 50/50 scramble positions.  

This would only result in the bottom man clamming up. Unless you're Logan Stieber or wrestling a very overmatched opponent, very few wrestlers can turn another in a true 30-second go, since it's such a short time that the bottom guy can just turtle up and flex for 30 seconds. That's probably one of the hardest things to do in wrestling.

A few years ago, when JO was at 149, Mark Bader from Flo challenged JO in the OSU room. 30-second go, JO turns him, he wins, Bader stalls him out without getting turned, Bader wins. Bader won.

The two best ways to improve mat wrestling are to eliminate at least 3/4 of the potentially dangerous calls (which were rarely made until about 10-15 years ago) and to call stalling appropriately--which means for both the top AND bottom man.

Stand ups are necessary, and 30-seconds seems as good an amount of time as any. The "clamming up" problem could be addressed by stalling calls (as Jaroslav said) or by giving the guy who forced the most standups a point at the end of the match.

Right now, folkstyle is not fun to watch. Guys crawling out of bounds. Guys hanging on for dear life from the top in the hope of getting that riding time point. It's ugly.  

A few simple, common sense reforms could make folkstyle fun to watch again. Sadly, I don't think the NCAA has what it takes to make the necessary changes.  

Current OT ride outs proves 30 seconds is not adequate for real folk style mat wrestling. Either decide mat wrestling isn't part of the sport, similar to FS, and start all periods from the feet, or enforce stalling properly but keep the integrity of the sport by keeping full mat wrestling a part of it. 30 seconds is a joke unless refs have the balls to call stalling within 10 seconds of inaction, which will never happen.

Edited by wrestlingnerd