Sign in to follow this  
BraunMan

John Smith - A Success Or A Failure As A Coach in 2015?

Undoubtedly the guy is the best wrestler the US has ever had along with Baumgartner - that is undisputable.

But having Marsteller and Rogers get owned by high school boys at Junior World Trials is an embarrassment.  As it the performance of Tyler Caldwell against David Taylor in big matches.

Is Smith a good coach that gets out there and shows them how to attack the low singles and high crotches - or an overrated one at the moment?

Undoubtedly the guy is the best wrestler the US has ever had along with Baumgartner - that is undisputable.

But having Marsteller and Rogers get owned by high school boys at Junior World Trials is an embarrassment.  As it the performance of Tyler Caldwell against David Taylor in big matches.

Is Smith a good coach that gets out there and shows them how to attack the low singles and high crotches - or an overrated one at the moment?

Is John Smith a good coach?  Put the pipe down, Dude...

Note to self; acquaint me … Can hot air chatter?

Edited by OKnowwhut

John Smith is still possibly the best DI coach in the country.  After the Pokes win it this year people will realize he hasn't gone anywhere!  Also, our World/Olympic teams have had quite a few Pokes represent us over the past decade.......

.......and to add a little spice to John Smith's resume, a former UFC welterweight champion came out of Coach Smith's wrestling room as well. Johny Hendricks even talked about training in the Okie State wrestling room to prep for some of his fights. 

Edited by 2td3nf

Not that I want to give any credibility to this trolling thread, but I love the comments about how Smith is still one of the best and hasn't gone anywhere. Okie St hasn't won a national title since '06, and have had more than one season outside of a podium finish. Brands and Iowa haven't won a title since '10 but have a top 4 podium finish every year, and he is slipping, can't get it done anymore, etc etc.

I have no real allegiance or preference personally, I love both these coaches. I could watch John Smith highlights all day long and I love listening to Brands and the Iowa style and all that. Smith is obviously one of the greatest coaches ever, I just find it so comical in these boards the double standards.

Smith's teams seem to be hot and cold in the NCAAs.  Last two years they have exceeded expectation, it seemed liked they disappointed at nationals for a string of years before.  But even when thye does not place high in the team race, he always has guys going for titles.

Results for one wrestler (Chance) mean nothing...

Smith's teams seem to be hot and cold in the NCAAs.  Last two years they have exceeded expectation, it seemed liked they disappointed at nationals for a string of years before.  But even when thye does not place high in the team race, he always has guys going for titles.

Results for one wrestler (Chance) mean nothing...

They mean alot considering Chance was owning college wrestlers while in middle school.

Now he's in college and gets punked by a Minnesota high school kid who has no real good coaching up there.

Not that I want to give any credibility to this trolling thread, but I love the comments about how Smith is still one of the best and hasn't gone anywhere. Okie St hasn't won a national title since '06, and have had more than one season outside of a podium finish. Brands and Iowa haven't won a title since '10 but have a top 4 podium finish every year, and he is slipping, can't get it done anymore, etc etc.

I have no real allegiance or preference personally, I love both these coaches. I could watch John Smith highlights all day long and I love listening to Brands and the Iowa style and all that. Smith is obviously one of the greatest coaches ever, I just find it so comical in these boards the double standards.

John Smith needs to get out on the mat and put these punks down in succession - Marsteller, Rogers, Blees, then Dieringer.  Prove to them he is the best and show the secret sauce for the low single and high crotch.

He avoids going live now - that's part of the issue.

John Smith needs to get out on the mat and put these punks down in succession - Marsteller, Rogers, Blees, then Dieringer.  Prove to them he is the best and show the secret sauce for the low single and high crotch.

He avoids going live now - that's part of the issue.

He probably does.....he's not a young kid anymore!

True enough MA Wrestler, no matter what, there are some on this board who find reason to go after Brands or Iowa wrestlers, while conveniently ignoring any other team that might do the same thing. Whether it's not finishing as national champs, scheduling a non d1 opponent, an extracurricular shove, coaches getting animated (okay, Brands probably do that a little more than your average coach), a kid involved in some off season minor incident, a wrestler talking brash and confidently.... everything get blown up more than it should.

A real double standard, for sure.

Here are some interesting Smith quotes from 1992:

"I make a commitment that no other wrestler does. There are probably a few wrestlers out there who think they make a commitment. But I really make a commitment.

"Anything that gets in my way, I pretty much eliminate. I don't have too many close friends. I don't have too many close relationships. I just can't afford to have them to go where I want to go, to do what I want to do. I really focus on myself. I really figure out and find a way how I can win, how I can beat everybody. I'll do whatever it takes.

"Put it this way: I've never had a girlfriend I've been good to, you know. Because I'd blow them off when it was time to go to work. I'd say, 'Don't come around. I don't want to (see you).' It's been hard on some of those girls. They don't understand it. But it's like, 'Hey, I'm in love with this more than I am with you.'"

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-07-19/sports/sp-4788_1_john-smith

True enough MA Wrestler, no matter what, there are some on this board who find reason to go after Brands or Iowa wrestlers, while conveniently ignoring any other team that might do the same thing. Whether it's not finishing as national champs, scheduling a non d1 opponent, an extracurricular shove, coaches getting animated (okay, Brands probably do that a little more than your average coach), a kid involved in some off season minor incident, a wrestler talking brash and confidently.... everything get blown up more than it should.

A real double standard, for sure.

Speaking of scheduling non-D1 opponents, does Iowa have Grand View on their early season schedule this year?

If so, we could possibly see a matchup between Thomas Gilman and Andrew Long.

Here are some interesting Smith quotes from 1992:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-07-19/sports/sp-4788_1_john-smith

My favorite-

I mean, this guy got beat by a guy from Sri Lanka at the World Championships. Sri Lanka? Where's Sri Lanka? Sri Lanka. And he beat me. A guy from Sri Lanka can't even beat high school wrestlers from the USA. It just takes a little bit of you. I don't think I'll ever get over things like that.

MA_Wrestler and rossel3,

There have been some generalizations made in this topic.  Let me be clear,  I have never been the one saying Brands isn't a great coach.   I am not a hypocrite.  I believe Brands and Smith can still be considered the 2 best Head Coaches in DI with Sanderson and Ryan pushing hard to take their spots.  Iowa as a whole has nearly unattainable expectations.  As a result, they get blasted when they take anything less than 1st.  I think that is crazy.  With the parity that has developed in the top 6 programs(PSU, Iowa, OkState, tOSU, Minnesota, Cornell) and teams like Illinois, Michigan and now ASU recruiting the bluest of blue chips, it is COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE to believe you can continue to win NCAA DI Championships every year!

Brands keeping Iowa in the top 4 year in and year out is an amazing feat.  Hell, even Sanderson has chosen to reload.  The Iowa faithful may not be satisfied but I simply don't believe there is anyone out there that could do better than Brands has at Iowa.

Now Smith is the actual topic of this thread.  Over the course of 23 seasons as the OkState Head Coach he has only finished outside the top 7 twice and one of those was his 2nd year when they were ineligible due to NCAA sanctions.  Over the past 3 seasons his teams have come in under the radar and seemed to peak perfectly at the NCAA Tournament.  His team looks really solid this year and I see them winning it all.  The timing can't be more perfect.  Just when many seem to be writing him off a NCAA Championship would sure be special!

MSU, my comments weren't directed at you either. I generally agree with things you post. And for the record, I think Smith is a great coach. They will definitely be a threat to win it next season, especially if Snyder is not back at tOSU.