SC_Wrestling

Stevan Micic

Guest Kingsland

That's wild, and a huge loss for Northwestern. Micic, Sebastian, Tsirtsis, and Reenan would have been a solid core.

I didn't see that one coming. Micic and the rest were poised to move NW up the Big 10 ladder over the next few years.

As much as I'd like to see him come back to Indiana and join Purdue I doubt Northwestern will be too accepting of a Big10 transfer. Arizona St. just lost a solid 125 in Lee and Jones is looking to build a young stud team. With Micic having freestyle aspirations, getting together with someone like Jones could be a good fit. Though he would be taking a little ding in the education value compared to NW.

Edited by MadMardigain

That would be my

I didn't see that one coming next. Micic and the rest were poised to move NW up the Big 10 ladder over the next few years.

Arizona St. just lost a solid 125 in Lee and Jones is looking to build a young stud team. With Micic having freestyle aspirations, getting together with someone like Jones could be a good fit. Though he would be taking a little ding in the education value compared to NW.

Makes sense to me. No chance he gets released to a B10 school, okie state/lehigh/cornell/VT have AA 125. Oklahoma has JUCO champ coming in. Az State/Missouri/UVA(if trying to move into a top-notch academic school) would be my guess, with my $ on the Sun Devils. 

If true, does that officially count as part of this year's recruiting class?  If so then this ASU one may have reached "best ever" status, at least on paper. 

I don't think you'd count a transfer as part of a recruiting class, and you can't really judge a class until the careers have played out.  They are loaded though.

With that said, this Haddad guy may be becoming the Woj of wresting recruiting.  

I didn't see that one coming next. Micic and the rest were poised to move NW up the Big 10 ladder over the next few years.

Arizona St. just lost a solid 125 in Lee and Jones is looking to build a young stud team. With Micic having freestyle aspirations, getting together with someone like Jones could be a good fit. Though he would be taking a little ding in the education value compared to NW.Hay

Hayden Lee left ASU due to monetary reasons. Even though Micic would seem like an upgrade, there is not enough money in the bank for him. Jones and staff overspent on the #1 recruiting class. It is sad to see coaches take away money from kids, but I know it happens more often that not. And not for the right reasons either.

Hayden Lee left ASU due to monetary reasons. Even though Micic would seem like an upgrade, there is not enough money in the bank for him. Jones and staff overspent on the #1 recruiting class. It is sad to see coaches take away money from kids, but I know it happens more often that not. And not for the right reasons either.

It's hard to really judge how much someone is "worth" without looking at the big picture. Perhaps some (if not all) of their recruits coming in (including Micic) are getting academic money. In addition, maybe some of their parents are well off, and would rather help the program by taking less money and paying part of the way, thus giving their son better workout partners/a chance to succeed. 

Just guessing here, but unless we have access to all the info it's a stretch to call it "sad".

It's hard to really judge how much someone is "worth" without looking at the big picture. Perhaps some (if not all) of their recruits coming in (including Micic) are getting academic money. In addition, maybe some of their parents are well off, and would rather help the program by taking less money and paying part of the way, thus giving their son better workout partners/a chance to succeed. 

Just guessing here, but unless we have access to all the info it's a stretch to call it "sad".

What I mean by "sad" is when a coach takes away money from a kid that has done everything right (socially, academically, athletically) because he has not produced on the mat like they hoped or they brought in a high profile wrestler. I know of a specific case where a national champion wrestler's scholarship was reduced due to him being "late" to a class. In actuality, they had the #2 recruiting class in the country and they needed money. They knew that the wrester would not leave because he had only year left and he wasn't going to graduate on time if he transferred. 

This does happen, but it rarely gets out in the public. 

Micic at ASU would be absolutely amazing. Lineup would be stacked. The top 3 incoming freshman are good enough to start and compete for a national title rightbaway. Micic really seems to fit there with his international goals. Can hardly get better training than with Jordan Oliver.

IF the situation with Lee is due to what FreezeWrestling stated, that's a bad look for Zeke Jones and the wrestling athletic department.  This topic should be one of the questions that all student athletes and parents should ask a potential coach during their recruiting period.

IF the situation with Lee is due to what FreezeWrestling stated, that's a bad look for Zeke Jones and the wrestling athletic department.  This topic should be one of the questions that all student athletes and parents should ask a potential coach during their recruiting period.

You can't expect a coach to say "well we routinely pull scholarships to pay for our incoming class."

Micic is putting his training before his education.  I understand--it's his life.  Hope it works out because there are a lot of consequences to this decision.  

Micic is still going to get an education.

Coming from the horse's mouth. And like I said before, it happens quite often so this should't be a shot at Zeke and his staff.

Micic is putting his training before his education. I understand--it's his life. Hope it works out because there are a lot of consequences to this decision.

It would depends what his educational major and career goals are if there is much real world trade off between what he had at Northwestern and where he maybe going. Micic a smart young man and I'm sure he's not trashing his education completely and taking up a "underwater basket weaving" major just for a chance at international success. Yes, Northwestern is a very touted educational institution, but there are other viable options beyond NW that may get Micic to the same career place he would have got to if he stayed.

Coming from the horse's mouth. And like I said before, it happens quite often so this should't be a shot at Zeke and his staff.

I realize it happens and it looks bad regardless who the coach is period.  Like I mentioned before, this should be one of the first questions student athletes and parents should ask coaches.   Can coaches lie to you, of course but the question still needs to be asked.  

You can't expect a coach to say "well we routinely pull scholarships to pay for our incoming class."

Why not? It would be really refreshing for the coaching profession in general to show a modicum of honesty and integrity.

Why not? It would be really refreshing for the coaching profession in general to show a modicum of honesty and integrity.

I've known coaches to say "I have never pulled any money from a kid that keeps his nose clean, goes to class and attends all workouts." I also know of situations where kids go in for significant scholly amounts 1st year but are subject to change and likely reduced after that. Also know of kids going in for relative low amounts for 1st 1 or 2 years because money is tied up but they have previously agreed upon increases the last few years when scholly money opens up. In all cases the coaches, parents and kids discussed this before the kids signed.