SC_Wrestling

Stevan Micic

What I mean by "sad" is when a coach takes away money from a kid that has done everything right (socially, academically, athletically) because he has not produced on the mat like they hoped or they brought in a high profile wrestler. I know of a specific case where a national champion wrestler's scholarship was reduced due to him being "late" to a class. In actuality, they had the #2 recruiting class in the country and they needed money. They knew that the wrester would not leave because he had only year left and he wasn't going to graduate on time if he transferred. 

This does happen, but it rarely gets out in the public. 

Do we know for a fact that his money was pulled and that he does everything right? I don't, but I also know nothing about the kid.

Also, did Zeke recruit Lee? I have to imagine that life gets hard for the athletes when a new high-powered coach comes along.

Do we know for a fact that his money was pulled and that he does everything right? I don't, but I also know nothing about the kid.

Also, did Zeke recruit Lee? I have to imagine that life gets hard for the athletes when a new high-powered coach comes along.

Lee was not recruited by Zeke. And yes, I do know for a fact that his money was pulled. That is why Hayden left. I don't know if there was another underlying reasoning behind the money getting pulled, but I never heard of any issues from Lee throughout the year. His dad visited ASU just last month and everything was good. 

Maybe, just maybe, Jones had an inside thought that Micic was going to transfer and that is why he pulled money from Lee. Is there a conspiracy brewing at ASU? Don't know and don't care. Either way, ASU is going to be loaded in the coming years. 

You can't deny the talent that ASU is accumulating and I think ASU will be a very good team, but they are still a few recruiting cycles away from being contenders. Even then, sometimes the recruiting classes don't pan out 

This situation is starting to remind me of a few years ago when people were talking about Wisconsin being a future dynasty with a new head assistant coach in Pritzlaff, a solid lineup with star wrestler Andrew Howe and a some big name commitments (Destin McCauley) and can't miss recruits. And then for one reason or another it all fell apart and Wisconsin is just now recovering. 

You can't deny the talent that ASU is accumulating and I think ASU will be a very good team, but they are still a few recruiting cycles away from being contenders. Even then, sometimes the recruiting classes don't pan out

This situation is starting to remind me of a few years ago when people were talking about Wisconsin being a future dynasty with a new head assistant coach in Pritzlaff, a solid lineup with star wrestler Andrew Howe and a some big name commitments (Destin McCauley) and can't miss recruits. And then for one reason or another it all fell apart and Wisconsin is just now recovering.

Yep. Maruca and Shields aren't guys I'm counting on to help win a national title.

Micic is putting his training before his education.  I understand--it's his life.  Hope it works out because there are a lot of consequences to this decision.  

Maybe 40 years ago. In today's economy what matters is what exactly you bring to the table.

For jobs that require a graduate degree, where you want to grad school and how you did there is much more important than where you went to college. For jobs you get out of college that require a specific skill set, your performance is what matters, although how you do is definitely contextualized by where you went to school. But the bottom line is what matters is what you can do. 

The only time the college you went to would matter is if you want an entry-level job that only requires a college degree but no specific course of study. Of course, jobs like that will not be the highest paying. 

Edited by Katie

I've known coaches to say "I have never pulled any money from a kid that keeps his nose clean, goes to class and attends all workouts." I also know of situations where kids go in for significant scholly amounts 1st year but are subject to change and likely reduced after that. Also know of kids going in for relative low amounts for 1st 1 or 2 years because money is tied up but they have previously agreed upon increases the last few years when scholly money opens up. In all cases the coaches, parents and kids discussed this before the kids signed.

I asked that very question and none of them said the would pull a scholarship based on performance.  All the responses that I received were similiar to what PapaBearSLIM mentioned above.  It's my understanding that the NCAA has a bylaw preventing coaches from reducing or cancelling scholarships (financial aid) based on performance.  At the end of the day, like any other business or institution, there's always a backdoor for every situation.

Yep. Maruca and Shields aren't guys I'm counting on to help win a national title.

Shields is a stud in any other recruiting class. At best, he is 5th best in this class. While Maruca seemed to regress some this past year, he has shown greatness in the past. You need quality guys in the room as back ups fighting every day to become starters.

Edited by gobraves101905

Shields is a stud in any other recruiting class. At best, he is 5th best in this class. While Maruca seemed to regress some this past year, he has shown greatness in the past. You need quality guys in the room as back ups fighting every day to become starters.

They are both studs in any class.

As a side note and to throw this thread further off track, you say "in any other recruiting class." Some well respected ranker(s) think that this is a relatively weak class after the guys at the very tippy top.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/32518-Stevan-Micic-Discusses-His-Future#.Vauf9niJnzI

Nice article on Micic by CPyles. It does clarify that ASU probably doesn't have the money for him. Very interesting about Michigan. IF they pull him in, I can see a possible title in two years. They only have two seniors next year, Bruno and Huntley, and one of those can be filled by a Youtsey/Micic combination at 125/133. Exciting!

So if he transferred inside the Big10 but was able to earn a Olympic Redshirt for next year, would that still allow him all 4 years of competition eligibility? Seems like it would, but he would probably still want to be done a year prior to the next Olympics.

I though that might be a possibility as well, but based on the wording of the Big Ten's intraconference transfer rules, an Olympic Redshirt wouldn't circumvent the loss of a year. He must be enrolled for a year at the new institution before he can compete and he must lose a year of eligibility in all sports. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Scholarships are all too often a dirty business and recruits need to know they are one-year renewable (meaning, what you have one year may not be what you get the next year).  One of the kids I coached in high school began his D-I college career on a book scholarship, but won the starting job and eventually earned a full ride.  His redshirt senior year, when he was stuck where he was at with no transfer options, they cut him down to 15%.  Kind of sucked in my estimation (the kid qualified for nationals 3 times and wrestled through numerous health issues) but that's life when money is involved.

Would imagine coming from NW there could be some academic scholarship money for him at ASU. With Worlds and everything else going on, seems unrealistic you leave a program without a firm probability of where you will be going. Seems to be slow playing it maybe.

Scholarships are all too often a dirty business and recruits need to know they are one-year renewable (meaning, what you have one year may not be what you get the next year).  One of the kids I coached in high school began his D-I college career on a book scholarship, but won the starting job and eventually earned a full ride.  His redshirt senior year, when he was stuck where he was at with no transfer options, they cut him down to 15%.  Kind of sucked in my estimation (the kid qualified for nationals 3 times and wrestled through numerous health issues) but that's life when money is involved.

The Big10 is the leader in offering multiyear scholarships.  I don't know how common it is but I know very few wrestlers in that conference that signed multiyear NLIs.  Obviously it's a catch 22 situation especially if a wrestler is "outperforming" his NLI.

The Big10 is the leader in offering multiyear scholarships.  I don't know how common it is but I know very few wrestlers in that conference that signed multiyear NLIs.  Obviously it's a catch 22 situation especially if a wrestler is "outperforming" his NLI.

I quit coaching college before the development of multi-year scholarships and was not aware of this; we only had one-year renewable at the time and were NOT allowed to mention in any paperwork that scholarship awards would be honored if injured,etc., beyond the one year time frame.  Thanks for enlightening me.

I wonder if Penn State makes a go at him. He said he is comfortable wrestling 3 years as a starter and train freestyle. This would give Megaludis his senior season then a solid 125 to replace him after? According to Flo it looks like he's considering staying within the b1g.

Guest Kingsland

Can you olympic rs at an ivy? If so Cornell is a good choice. If he places at Jr. Worlds this year he could take an olympic redshirt next year and then slot in at 125 and Macri could bump to 133. All without losing any eligibility.

Edited by Kingsland

Can you olympic rs at an ivy? If so Cornell is a good choice. If he places at Jr. Worlds this year he could a olympic redshirt next year and then slot in at 125 and Macri could bump to 133. All without losing any eligibility.

This has been quite some time ago, but my eldest son spent a Spring and Fall semester working (1991). He re-enrolled in the Spring of 1992 and did not loose a year, just picked up where he left off. I don't see why an ORS wouldn't be the same assuming the individual institution allows it.