SC_Wrestling

Stevan Micic

Can you both redshirt AND do an Olympic redshirt at an Ivy? I don't think so but am not sure.

Either way, he'd have to get in first. I know a lot of guys think it you are really good at wrestling and have good grades you can get in but that's just not true. A former Northwestern AA who was top 10-20 overall recruit out of HS went to Northwestern because he didn't get into Cornell. Of course, there are some who went to Northwestern over schools like Princeton so it's really subjective and individual after a certain level, but my point is you can't rule out how hard it is to get into the top schools.

By the way, for all I know Micic could be a HS valedictorian with a perfect GPA who has 17 patents pending and AP'ed out of a full year of college. I have no clue. I'm just trying to add a little to a very interesting transfer situation. Also, Northwestern is a hard academic school and maybe he felt an easier academic environment was more conducive to a focus on optimizing his wrestling over his academics. Total speculation.

Although the Ivy League does haave high entrance standards, exceptions are not unusual. Again this was a long time ago, but my son was admitted to Columbia with less than the normal academic credentials. He was required to attend a 5 or 6 week summer session specifically for incoming freshmen who were admitted without the normal GPA and /or test scores. I don't recall how may students were there but 5 of them were football players. However there were also musicians, and students who were accomplished in other disciplines that Columbia recruited to fill certain needs. I was told at that time that the other Ivies had similiar programs and that agreement was made by member schools as to how many student athletes would be allowed entrance under this program.

Bloate, I'm 100% sure you're right. And within the Ivies, each will favor a sport or other pet discipline to varying degrees. At Cornell, wrestling is clearly favored. Even Harvard, who doesn't care that much about wrestling, has been known to make exceptions for guys who never in a million years would've made it in on academic merit alone. My point, a moot one now that some are posting Cornell is not a possibility, was simply that admission is not a foregone conclusion even for an elite athlete at the most wrestling-friendly school. Watching from the outside in for many years, I am regularly puzzled by who gains admission and who doesn't. The example I mentioned before was a guy with similar credentials as Micic.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Can you olympic rs at an ivy? If so Cornell is a good choice. If he places at Jr. Worlds this year he could take an olympic redshirt next year and then slot in at 125 and Macri could bump to 133. All without losing any eligibility.

Just enroll at Fingerlakes Community College for a year...

Lands in Lake Michigan. Might ride the pine for awhile for the Wolverine's. Interesting choice

Hmmm. Hope he does awesome, strong under hook and wrist to takedowns worked well for him in high school.

Add a bit more muscle and he should be just fine. Best of luck to him.