Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Kyle Snyder - offense

I vaguely remember a highlight of John Smith hitting a throw that could be classified as a Gadson.  

The step around to trap the leg and throw from an over-under or a bodylock is very standard, what I saw Gadson do differently was that it was more of a straight ahead attacka nd he did not turn until he had the leg hooked.

We had a HWT in high school hit that once.  Once.  He was so dense he kept going for it and wound up getting pinned about 10 times that year.

Oh, by the way, neither Gadson nor McIntosh are from Pennsylvania. Gadson is from Iowa, McIntosh from California.

He made Thomas Haines his *****.  Twice the same year when they were both Juniors.  Thomas Haines is a 4 time Pennsylvania State Champion.

Edited by BraunMann

Freestyle, absolutely.  Go to the 1:00 mark.  One of Sergei's go-to moves, often off the 2-on-1.  Here it is off single defense like in the Gadson match. 

Sergei Beloglazov URS vs Dariusz Grzywinski POL Olympic 1988 Seoul

Forgive me for going a bit off topic, but I wanted to share a short story related to the above post and thank Cradle2grave for solving a small mystery in my life.

In 1993 I was a freshman in high school, a rookie wrestler, and attending the National Prep tournament for the first time. (Back then, you didn't have to qualify to get in). Following weigh-ins my coach, who was a big wrestling booster and seemed to be known by everyone there, introduced my to a short Russian man and asked me, "Do you know who this is?" At that point in my wrestling career the only wrestling matches I had ever watched were ones I had participated in, so I had no clue who the guy was. My coach told me his name was Sergei something-or-other and that he was a world champion. While this sounded rather impressive I really was completely clueless about the significance of that. Sergei shook my hand and then asked me in a thick Russian accent, "Do you know what to do when your opponent does this?" And he grabbed both my wrists. I said "no", and so he showed me a neat little trick where you just slam your wrists together and crack the hell out of the guy's knuckles. I then wandered off to find my team, remembering the new trick I'd learned but not much about the guy who taught me. 

I went on to wrestle a full career, do some coaching, and become an international wrestling fan. Over the years I became increasingly curious about who that guy was, but obviously "world champion named Sergei" wasn't quite enough to go on. But Cradle2grave's post gave me Sergei Beloglazov's name. I googled him and discovered that he was an assistant at Lehigh at the time, which would have put him at the tournament. Looking at his picture, that seems to be the guy I remember.

So thanks!!!!

Edited by Alyosha

Alyosha, nice story but shame on you for not knowing who Sergei Beloglazov is. To say he was just "a Russian world champion" is like saying Michael Jordan was "a great basketball player in the NBA." Sergei is on the very, very short list of best wrestlers ever and in my opinion the most complete technical wrestler ever.

Forgive me for going a bit off topic, but I wanted to share a short story related to the above post and thank Cradle2grave for solving a small mystery in my life.

In 1993 I was a freshman in high school, a rookie wrestler, and attending the National Prep tournament for the first time. (Back then, you didn't have to qualify to get in). Following weigh-ins my coach, who was a big wrestling booster and seemed to be known by everyone there, introduced my to a short Russian man and asked me, "Do you know who this is?" At that point in my wrestling career the only wrestling matches I had ever watched were ones I had participated in, so I had no clue who the guy was. My coach told me his name was Sergei something-or-other and that he was a world champion. While this sounded rather impressive I really was completely clueless about the significance of that. Sergei shook my hand and then asked me in a thick Russian accent, "Do you know what to do when your opponent does this?" And he grabbed both my wrists. I said "no", and so he showed me a neat little trick where you just slam your wrists together and crack the hell out of the guy's knuckles. I then wandered off to find my team, remembering the new trick I'd learned but not much about the guy who taught me. 

I went on to wrestle a full career, do some coaching, and become an international wrestling fan. Over the years I became increasingly curious about who that guy was, but obviously "world champion named Sergei" wasn't quite enough to go on. But Cradle2grave's post gave me Sergei Beloglazov's name. I googled him and discovered that he was an assistant at Lehigh at the time, which would have put him at the tournament. Looking at his picture, that seems to be the guy I remember.

So thanks!!!!

Sergei has forgotten more about wrestling than most of us will ever know.  

What school did you attend? Sergei has been helping prep schools up in the Northeast for as long as I can remember. The last I heard he was teaching technique at the Hill School.

my high school team did a camp at Lehigh while Beloglozov was there. i had a Sergei's Soviet System t-shirt. it was awesome. but i had no idea who he was and knew nothing about his accomplishments until a couple years ago. all i remembered was that he mixed up "push" and "pull" when he was demonstrating moves. 

and yes i am ashamed. 

He's a Maryland wrestler. Maryland wrestlers are not able to beat Pennsylvania state champions and contend for national and world titles. Snyder is on a world team solely because Gadson and McIntosh didn't compete. Something is wrong with this picture.

You are seriously a moron I don't know if you're joking or not there wasn't a single d1 NCAA champ from PA this year are you going to discredit those guys from lesser states who won titles to?

Alyosha, nice story but shame on you for not knowing who Sergei Beloglazov is. To say he was just "a Russian world champion" is like saying Michael Jordan was "a great basketball player in the NBA." Sergei is on the very, very short list of best wrestlers ever and in my opinion the most complete technical wrestler ever.

Yes, I am appropriately ashamed of my ignorance. Then again, I am from Maryland. :)