Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Marable Wins Arbitration; Forces Wrestle-Off

The series will be held on Saturday, July 25 in Fargo, N.D. at the Fargodome on the campus of North Dakota State University, with the first match held at 10:00 a.m. and the second match at 11:00 a.m. If necessary, a third match will be held within an hour after bout two. It will be held alongside the ASICS/Vaughan Junior freestyle finals.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2015/July/19/Marable-vs-Green-70kg-series-set-for-Saturday-in-Fargo

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I'm not particularly pleased about this. Can't help but feel USA wrestling is making a mistake by letting this happen after he missed weight. Also marable is a snore to watch, whereas green is a blast.

I'm not particularly pleased about this. Can't help but feel USA wrestling is making a mistake by letting this happen after he missed weight. Also marable is a snore to watch, whereas green is a blast.

I tend to agree with you although I'm assuming they made him prove he was injured at the hearing. Of course, any personal injury lawyer will tell you there are always doctors out there willing to provide the medical backup necessary to win a case.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Guest Kingsland

Let's go Green. He should be coming in with a boatload of confidence given his recent performances, and I think he'll take it to Marable.

The rules:  "If a request for delay of the Final Wrestle-Off is made within 18 hours of the weigh-in, the athlete will be required to weigh-in and make weight at the qualified weight and have the illness or injury certified in writing by a medical doctor approved by USA Wrestling; provided, however, that the Sport Committee may excuse this weigh-in requirement if the basis for delay is determined by the Sport Committee to be due to unforeseen or extenuating circumstances."

By rule, Marable was disqualified and the Sports Committee upheld the ruling.  Should be end of story.

What other rules do people not want to follow?

BS.

Arbitrator must have decided that Marable met "unforseen or extenuating circumstances" which excluded him from the 18 hour weigh-in requirement.

That would seem to be the case.  But that's what the Sport Committee is for and their verdict should have been respected.

I'm pulling for Green.  This ruling stinks.

The rules:  "If a request for delay of the Final Wrestle-Off is made within 18 hours of the weigh-in, the athlete will be required to weigh-in and make weight at the qualified weight and have the illness or injury certified in writing by a medical doctor approved by USA Wrestling; provided, however, that the Sport Committee may excuse this weigh-in requirement if the basis for delay is determined by the Sport Committee to be due to unforeseen or extenuating circumstances."

By rule, Marable was disqualified and the Sports Committee upheld the ruling.  Should be end of story.

What other rules do people not want to follow?

BS.

If the process allows for abritration to occur beyond his initial appeal, so be it.  I just wish this was reported openly to avoid any apperance of impropriety (which now exists IMO).

I really think Wrestling thinks it operates fairly, impartially and transparently.  The problem is that, as fans, we cannot accurately judge the first two (fairness and impartiality)  b/c Wrestling fails at item 3 (transparency).  I think they are trying to improve their transparency but there is a such a long standing culture of keeping information contained that it is tough for guys like Immel and Slay, who seem to be trying to help move the sport into this decade, to move the needle to the extent needed.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Sets a very bad precedent.  Unfair at best.  Unfortunately, Marable will likely take the spot.  

Part of me thinks though, that if Marable does represent our best shot to medal at World's, we should want him there.......Having said that, I am rooting for Green next weekend.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Part me thinks though, that if Marable doe represent out best shot to medal at World's, we should want him there.......Having said that, I am rooting for Green next weekend.

See it very similar to the Ruth/Herbert issue.  Herbert has Ruth's number but I think if anyone can medal at Worlds it would be Ruth. Nothing against Jake and with a great draw and tournament I can see him Bronze.  Green is the type of athlete and style (think JB) that could really surprise some at Worlds.  Marable has had his chances, and can't beat the world's best with his stingy style that the Russians and Europeans have mastered.  He does have Green's number though.  

If the process allows for abritration to occur beyond his initial appeal, so be it.  I just wish this was reported openly to avoid any apperance of impropriety (which now exists IMO).

I really think Wrestling thinks it operates fairly, impartially and transparently.  The problem is that, as fans, we cannot accurately judge the first two (fairness and impartiality)  b/c Wrestling fails at item 3 (transparency).  I think they are trying to improve their transparency but there is a such a long standing culture of keeping information contained that it is tough for guys like Immel and Slay, who seem to be trying to help move the sport into this decade, to make move the needle to the extend needed.

The rules say nothing to the effect of "If contestants don't like a ruling or the Sport Committee's upholding of the ruling, they are free to seek outside arbitration."  When you enter a meet of any sort, by participating you by consent agree to a set of (one would hope) clear, previously established rules.  Marable is willing to use USA Wrestling to make the US team but circumvents USA Wrestling when their clear, previously established groundrules don't go his way.  I can't respect that.

If he was truly injured, why does this suck? These rules were put in place to protect someone like Marable, that has proven he is capable of winning at the highest level, from not making the team due to an injury. An arbitrator of any good standing would not have ruled in Marable's favor without a preponderance of evidence backing Marable. Without being in that meeting I think many of you are judging things without nearly all the facts.

Also, I know this sucks for Green, but it is also an opportunity for him. If he can beat Marable it would have to be a giant boost in confidence. It may actually hel him bring home a medal.

The rules say nothing to the effect of "If contestants don't like a ruling or the Sport Committee's upholding of the ruling, they are free to seek outside arbitration."  When you enter a meet of any sort, by participating you by consent agree to a set of (one would hope) clear, previously established rules.  Marable is willing to use USA Wrestling to make the US team but circumvents USA Wrestling when their clear, previously established groundrules don't go his way.  I can't respect that.

But, the annoucment also states....

Marable, following procedures in USA Wrestling’s bylaws and in the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act, filed a USOC Bylaws Section 9 complaint. As part of this process, Arbitrator Maidie E. Oliveau listened to the facts of the case and determined that a delayed World Team Trials series was warranted.

If he was truly injured, why does this suck? These rules were put in place to protect someone like Marable, that has proven he is capable of winning at the highest level, from not making the team due to an injury. An arbitrator of any good standing would not have ruled in Marable's favor without a preponderance of evidence backing Marable. Without being in that meeting I think many of you are judging things without nearly all the facts.

Also, I know this sucks for Green, but it is also an opportunity for him. If he can beat Marable it would have to be a giant boost in confidence. It may actually hel him bring home a medal.

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Reports were rampant that a arable was not going to make weight, not a drop referencing injury, and suddenly an injury that just so happens to fit into a. Y law that gets him another shot to make weight. Please.

This decision was made outside of the USA Wrestling jurisdiction. USAW denied the request, Marable appealed and the call was made by arbitration, not USAW. 

But USAW is not obligated to have a bylaw requiring them to abide by this ruling.  They choose to do so and apparently their bylaws allow for their own internal rulings to get trumped by an arbitrator.  I don't think having a bylaw allowing for an arbitrator to be brought in under certain circumstances is a bad thing.  But it is disingenuous to suggest that this ruling came down against the wishes of USAW.  USAW's bylaws allow for this to happen (and are not required to).

Edited by Angry_Fish

I don't know anything about the facts here. It's possible Marable deserves a shot to be on the team. But it's also possible Green got hosed.

Either way, this isn't the end of the world. If Green can't beat Marable, he wouldn't have medaled anyway.  

Edited by Katie

But USAW is not obligated to have a bylaw requireng them to obide by this ruling.  They choose to do so and apparently their bylaws allow for their own internal rulings to get trumped by an arbitrator.  I don't think having a bylaw allowing for an arbitrator to be brought in under certain circumstances is a bad thing.  But it is disengious to suggest that this ruling came down against the wishs of USAW.  USAW's bylaws allow for this to happen (and are not required to).

I didn't suggest that this was "against their wishes," I was merely pointing out the focus of the decision should be on the arbitration. This wasn't something decided by the national team staff, Rich Bender. That's my point. The Amateur Sports Act has numerous instances where they overrule the NGB's for respective sports. I'm unsure if there is a requirement to have such a bylaw, but I'd guess that might be a stipulation of being a recognized NGB from the USOC.

I could be WAY off on that, but that's just my thought. If people read the release fully, they might not be so quick to chastise the NGB in this scenario. All I'm saying is that it's not like Rich Bender made the call to let this happen. This decision was made outside of the construct of Lehman Drive.