Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Marable Wins Arbitration; Forces Wrestle-Off

But, the annoucment also states....

Marable, following procedures in USA Wrestling’s bylaws and in the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act, filed a USOC Bylaws Section 9 complaint. As part of this process, Arbitrator Maidie E. Oliveau listened to the facts of the case and determined that a delayed World Team Trials series was warranted.

Yes, I agree this seems to be completely contradictory.  Marable "followed procedures" by circumventing the established, pre-agreed upon procedures all contestants were subject to.  Not a good look, USA Wrestling.  

"I'm unsure if there is a requirement to have such a bylaw, but I'd guess that might be a stipulation of being a recognized NGB from the USOC."

And if this is the case, then Marable wasn't circumventing established procedures, he was following them. A legitimate complaint of concerned fans is not knowing that a shoe hadn't dropped yet. 

That aside, I'd love to see a transcript of the arbitration hearing. Possible? Or not?

Why is Marable a bad guy for wanting a fair chance to make a world team?  If his reasons for missing world trials were legit enough for an arbitrator, doesn't he deserve the opportunity?  

Maybe some of you are privy to inside info?  If so, I hope it's legit.  

I don't agree with the "if Green can't beat Marable, he wouldn't have medaled anyway."     Green is a very strange wrestler.  I know a lot of guys that Green can beat that can beat Jedd Moore.  I know a lot of guys Jedd Moore can't beat that Green can beat.   I also know that Jedd Moore beat Green every time they wrestled. 

So I did get confirmation on my hunch. That bylaw that allows a decision by USA Wrestling to be overruled by arbitration is a mandatory bylaw from the USOC. If you do not have that bylaw, you aren't the national governing body. If USA Wrestling were to write that out, guess what, there's no national team. There's no Olympic team at least as we know it. 

The same can be said for USA Swimming, USA Basketball, et al. You'll find that the Amateur Sports Act exists with all of those sports. 

I haven't done a lot of research on the act itself, so I don't know all the particulars.  

Edited by JasonBryant

He is not the first guy to play politics/use the legal system and he won't be the last.  And as Jason has been saying, this isn't about USAW.  It's more about Marable's character (or perceived lack thereof).  The rule is in place for the right reasons, and they have the 18 hour weigh in rule for exactly this situation, but then still get overruled.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

So I did get confirmation on my hunch. That bylaw that allows a decision by USA Wrestling to be overruled by arbitration is a mandatory bylaw from the USOC. If you do not have that bylaw, you aren't the national governing body. If USA Wrestling were to write that out, guess what, there's no national team. There's no Olympic team at least as we know it. 

The same can be said for USA Swimming, USA Basketball, et al. You'll find that the Amateur Sports Act exists with all of those sports. 

I haven't done a lot of research on the act itself, so I don't know all the particulars.  

This is important information and justifies/exonerates USAW from any criticism of the decision itself.  It doesn't, however; get them a pass for not being transparent about what has been going on with the Marable/Green case (and why).  But that is water under the bridge at this point (for the most part).  What I think fans would like to know now (and surely James Green's camp) is what information was presented to the arbitrator that caused them to reach their decision? 

If USAW wants to diffuse this situation, IMO, their next move would be to publish a transcript of the arbitration hearing (if one exists), along with a statement from the arbitrator explaining how (s)he reached their decision.  The latter should absolutely be released; hopefully both are made public.

My guess at this point thought is that we hear nothing more on the matter.  And that my friends is a big problem with this sport.

What if Marable made weight and turned an ankle or tore a knee ligament running up the stairs to the elevated mat for the finals against Green and couldn't continue?  Does he get a do-over in that case as well?  How far do you travel on the slippery slope before there are no rules and everything is challenged when the breaks don't go your way?

I think people need to be made aware that no final positions on our national team are truly final pending any potential arbitrator's ruling, which seems absurd but is what is now happening.  Why don't arbitrators just pick the teams and we quit wasting our time with all these trials and tournaments?  Or maybe competitors can all agree to a set of rules ahead of time and understand that sometimes bad luck or misfortune is just part of life...

Why is Marable a bad guy for wanting a fair chance to make a world team?  If his reasons for missing world trials were legit enough for an arbitrator, doesn't he deserve the opportunity?  

Marable is the bad guy in this story line because he couldn't make weight, and is using a technicality to get an unfair second crack at it, and could possibly take the spot away from someone who followed all the rules. 

all you have to do is check out how the other athletes feel about the situation on twitter. several of those guys were close enough to the situation to give you an idea if they think it was weight cut or injury.

all you have to do is check out how the other athletes feel about the situation on twitter. several of those guys were close enough to the situation to give you an idea if they think it was weight cut or injury.

What is being said?  Can you share?  (I don't tweet.)