Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Marable Wins Arbitration; Forces Wrestle-Off

Somewhat related to this thread, I agree with Jaroslav that 6 weight classes will actually make it dangerous to many wrestlers around the world. Look what the weight cut is causing with 8 weight classes.

Sorry to be redundant, but wish there were 10 weight classes (like international used to have it, and NCAA still does), with a 300+ unlimited class. Let the giants of the world wrestle too. We're leaving them out. I bet many can be very marketable. 

Denger makes a good point about the weight. If you go down from dehydration the first thing they will do is rehydrate you. Therefore it is possible Marable weighed 155 and then 171.

This big gap does however suggest he was cutting significant water weight, and complications from that aren't exactly unforseen. Based on the podcast I think that's what USA wrestling was arguing.

Denger makes a good point about the weight. If you go down from dehydration the first thing they will do is rehydrate you. Therefore it is possible Marable weighed 155 and then 171.

This big gap does however suggest he was cutting significant water weight, and complications from that aren't exactly unforseen. Based on the podcast I think that's what USA wrestling was arguing.

14lbs of fluids in the timeline isn't reasonable. yes i am accounting for clothing/sneakers on the scale at the hospital.

edit *all under the assumption he went to the hospital in madison.

Edited by sockobuw

14lbs of fluids in the timeline isn't reasonable. yes i am accounting for clothing/sneakers on the scale at the hospital.

edit *all under the assumption he went to the hospital in madison.

Flo in their CP/Willie radio show said he was allegedly a pound over 1.5 hours before weigh-ins, and then 171 (+16 lbs) an hour after weigh-ins. I'm not sure Flo's info is right, because CP was questioning the info during the show, but if it is accurate, there is no way Marable was only a pound over 1.5 hours before weigh-ins. Gaining 16 lbs in 2.5 hours is preposterous unless you are a severely dehydrated 300 lb NFL offensive tackle.

Pretty sure Flo said he was 171 an hour and a half before weigh-ins.  At any rate, the implication is that he consumed about 1.7 gallons of water between getting a concussion and seeing a doctor.  Ridiculous.

I can't imagine another sports organization allowing a championship issue to fester like this.  Are they under the impression no one cares?

I just listened to it again and you are right, he weighed 171 at the doctor's 1.5 hours before weigh-ins. In that case, I take back what I said. Since we don't know when he got injured, or claimed he got injured for the non-believers, it is possible for him to have rehydrated a lot of weight back. A guy of Marable's size cutting close to 20 lbs of water could probably put at least 10 on in about 3 hours, and maybe another 5 or so another couple of hours after that. It's a lot, but much more believable that +16 in 2.5 hours.

You do realize you took back what you said after concluding that Marable had 3 hours less to rehydrate?  :)

Actually, no.  That's not what I said.

What I thought I heard, but didn't, was that Marable was 1 lb over 1.5 hours before weigh-ins and then weighed 171 at the hospital an hour after weigh-ins. That's drinkings back 16 lbs in 2.5 hours, which is close to impossible for a 154 lber after a very hard cut. 

What I heard the second time I listened to the show was Willie saying Marable weighed 171 1.5 hours before the weigh-in, presumably at the hospital. He did not specify when Marable had weighed in at 1 lb over. It could've been 10 hours before for all I know. With an unspecified amount of time, I can't say it's close to impossible to gain 16 lbs, since I know from personal experience it is possible to gain it fairly quickly, say, in 6-8 hours at the fastest, just not in 2.5 hours.

Actually, no.  That's not what I said.

What I thought I heard, but didn't, was that Marable was 1 lb over 1.5 hours before weigh-ins and then weighed 171 at the hospital an hour after weigh-ins. That's drinkings back 16 lbs in 2.5 hours, which is close to impossible for a 154 lber after a very hard cut. 

What I heard the second time I listened to the show was Willie saying Marable weighed 171 1.5 hours before the weigh-in, presumably at the hospital. He did not specify when Marable had weighed in at 1 lb over. It could've been 10 hours before for all I know. With an unspecified amount of time, I can't say it's close to impossible to gain 16 lbs, since I know from personal experience it is possible to gain it fairly quickly, say, in 6-8 hours at the fastest, just not in 2.5 hours.

I understood you, just yanking your chain a little.

I am guessing that none of us will ever see the true time line here.  I think if someone is cutting that much weight, they aren't going to be within a pound until under two hours prior to weigh-in.   The whole story sounds preposterous, it must be cynical and tongue-in-cheek.  Almost as if he smoked but didn't inhale.

Edited by Plasmodium