Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

Travis Rutt to Iowa!

I agree with the hammer. Iowa is one of the few schools that can get elite talent to take any coaching job. I know being an elite wrestler doesn't necessarily translate to being an elite coach, but it can't hurt unless you have a track record as a coach that precedes anything else on your resume. I would've thought someone more wrestling-qualified would've been easy for Iowa to get.

Rutt might be the next Bill Starr of strength coaching so in no way am I suggesting he's a bad hire. He's just not who I would've expected to fill the job at Iowa.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

"Prior to joining the UI staff, Rutt served as the director of strength and fitness at Pinnacle Strong, a private business designed to improve sports performance through strength training for prep and college athletes.

He worked in the strength and conditioning office and served as assistant wrestling coach at Augsburg College during the 2014-15 season, and previously served as the Greco-Roman/strength and conditioning coach for the Minnesota Storm Wrestling Club. "

Seems like a pretty decent resume for a wrestling team's strength coach

Edited by OtisCampbell

yeah thats an impressive resumé. Iowa is just so high profile and visible you expect them to hire HUGE name coaches. There is no good reason to think that way but I do it anyway.  

Can you give examples of some of the "HUGE name coaches" you would expect Iowa to attract? I'm not arguing with you; I genuinely don't know who is considered to be the top-notch S&C coaches in wrestling.

Andrew Howe, Quentin Wright, Jordan Oliver (lol i know I'm just giving examples of the caliber of name)...I'm making the same boring point three times now but its tempting to think they would be choosing from a pool of multiple national champion, but thats fan mentality.

Thanks, that was helpful to have some names and I can see what you mean now. Those guys are certainly more accomplished than Rutt from a wrestling reputation standpoint. But are any of those guys trained or certified in strength & conditioning? I think some Hawkeye fans feel that it's been a problem for Iowa to use that position just to get another practice partner in the room to roll around with. The perception (and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it's accurate or not) is that strength has been a weakness for Iowa in the recent past. So hiring a former wrestler who maybe isn't a multiple-year national champion but does have an advanced degree in strength and conditioning training would be more useful to the program at this juncture.

Again, I'm not saying they're right or you're wrong. It's just another perspective that might explain the decision to hire Rutt.

Thanks, that was helpful to have some names and I can see what you mean now. Those guys are certainly more accomplished than Rutt from a wrestling reputation standpoint. But are any of those guys trained or certified in strength & conditioning? I think some Hawkeye fans feel that it's been a problem for Iowa to use that position just to get another practice partner in the room to roll around with. The perception (and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it's accurate or not) is that strength has been a weakness for Iowa in the recent past. So hiring a former wrestler who maybe isn't a multiple-year national champion but does have an advanced degree in strength and conditioning training would be more useful to the program at this juncture.

Again, I'm not saying they're right or you're wrong. It's just another perspective that might explain the decision to hire Rutt.

The article announcing Rutt's hiring states only that he earned a "master of science degree" at OU, without specifying his major.  I didn't see a masters program in strength and conditioning training per se listed on their website.  However, they do offer three MS programs in their Department of Health and Exercise Science:

1. Master of Science (MS) in Exercise Physiology [≥ 30 credit hours]

2. Master of Science (MS) in Health Promotion [≥ 30 credit hours]

3. Master of Science (MS) in Health and Exercise Science [≥ 32 credit hours]

I'd assume that Rutt earned one of the above.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Iowa always puzzles me with their coaching decisions. Though I have no idea wha they were founded on or how well any of them worked out so no one should really care. 

What's so puzzling?  They just look to the north for half their staff.