Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Marable vs. Green: who's your pick?

While we're busy calling Marable a cheater, what matters, the actual wrestle-off, goes down in 3 days. Who's your pick?

Best 2 of 3, I am picking Marable. Green looks very, very good and confident, but I think Marable's size and defense gets it done but it takes him three matches. I give the first match to Green and pick Marable to win the next two.

Guest Kingsland

I picked Schlatrer to beat Green because of how tough he hung with Marable. Green handled him without much of a problem. I realize the transitive property of wrestling is highly problematic and inconsistent, but I'm taking Green in two in a similar fashion to his wins against Schlater.

Marable. Even if Green had a chance, he's been preparing his body to peak for Worlds with a mini peak in Spain, I'm sure assuming USA Wrestling was going to give effort in their defense of their decision, which it sadly appears they didn't. Marable meanwhile knew the only way he'd be wrestling at Worlds would be in a series of matches like this. So, even though I think Green has improved enough to win, the circumstances are just dramatically working against him here. There, I reluctantly pick Marable.

Marable. Even if Green had a chance, he's been preparing his body to peak for Worlds with a mini peak in Spain, I'm sure assuming USA Wrestling was going to give effort in their defense of their decision, which it sadly appears they didn't. Marable meanwhile knew the only way he'd be wrestling at Worlds would be in a series of matches like this. So, even though I think Green has improved enough to win, the circumstances are just dramatically working against him here. There, I reluctantly pick Marable.

These guys are warriors.  They can peak, anyday, anytime.

Recently, these last minute wrestle-offs favor the man laying in wait and not the guy who was told he was on the team (Lewis-Smith, Sieracki-Lindland).  Green has had two major meets since nationals (the tirals and Spain) and Marable none.  I would give Marable the edge based on this.  If the concussion was legit and as severe as it was made out to be, though, the side-effects can linger for months and two matches an hour apart after a major weight cut the night before would be dang near impossible let alone three bouts.  Is a physician's clearance needed since this was the pretext for the wrestle-off?  We'll see...

Edited by Coach_J

This is going to be real interesting.  Personally, I don't have a horse in the race, but just based on this whole scenario, and the way James Green came thru the trials, I'd like to see Green win this wrestle-off and do well at the World Championships.

If it's really a 5-hour weigh-in, then Green has a shot to do it in 3 matches. 

From USAW:  "The series will be held on Saturday, July 25 in Fargo, N.D. at the Fargodome on the campus of North Dakota State University, with the first match held at 10:00 a.m. and the second match at 11:00 a.m. If necessary, a third match will be held within an hour after bout two. It will be held alongside the ASICS/Vaughan Junior freestyle finals."

If the first bout is at 10 a.m., a five hour weigh-in would be at 5 a.m.  Don't think that is happening.