Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Non World Team Members now have to Root Against USA in Worlds

King for a day...I like it!  And I will be totally impractical.

By the time a kid is 10 in Russia, the coaches already know who will be not only a wrestler, but who will go greco and who will go freestyle.  We have nothing like that.  As King, I make it so!

Also, in Europe and Iran they have club leagues in freestyle and greco.  We have assorted clubs (Sunkist, NYAC, Hawkeye, Marines, Army, the various RTCs, etc.) but no regular schedule of duals.  That would be cool.  We've tried various leagues but there is no overall gameplan or connection to USA Wrestling.  Leagues could be organized as part of a systematic approach.  As King, I make it so!

In college, I'd love to see a freestyle season and a greco season (much like track has with indoor and outdoor).  More kids involved, wrestling all year round.  Heaven.  I make it so!

We have no hierarchy of coordinated development from youth to senior level.  It's a hodge-podge, not a system.  As King, I create this new utopia!

King for a day...I like it!  And I will be totally impractical.

By the time a kid is 10 in Russia, the coaches already know who will be not only a wrestler, but who will go greco and who will go freestyle.  We have nothing like that.  As King, I make it so!

Also, in Europe and Iran they have club leagues in freestyle and greco.  We have assorted clubs (Sunkist, NYAC, Hawkeye, Marines, Army, the various RTCs, etc.) but no regular schedule of duals.  That would be cool.  We've tried various leagues but there is no overall gameplan or connection to USA Wrestling.  Leagues could be organized as part of a systematic approach.  As King, I make it so!

In college, I'd love to see a freestyle season and a greco season (much like track has with indoor and outdoor).  More kids involved, wrestling all year round.  Heaven.  I make it so!

We have no hierarchy of coordinated development from youth to senior level.  It's a hodge-podge, not a system.  As King, I create this new utopia!

Highly successful post.  I don't think you can get any more impractical than that. :)

Steal from both Sumo and Tennis. They make money. 

Create a tiered system with a limited number of prestigious tournaments with the highest payouts for the top tier. The development side will figure itself out once you have legit professional competition. 

That's once I'm emperor of wrestling anyway. 

Steal from both Sumo and Tennis. They make money. 

Create a tiered system with a limited number of prestigious tournaments with the highest payouts for the top tier. The development side will figure itself out once you have legit professional competition. 

That's once I'm emperor of wrestling anyway. 

They did that in the previous major set of rules changes. Stepouts and best of 3 period scores. Didn't work out too well. (although to be fair the stepouts did work)

They did that in the previous major set of rules changes. Stepouts and best of 3 period scores. Didn't work out too well. (although to be fair the stepouts did work)

my comment was with regards to organizing a professional wrestling circuit, not on the mat rules or bout formats. 

grand slams, point rankings, promotion and relegation to different tiers through round robins, a pro tour run by and for the benefit of the athletes not the federations. the on the mat rules are a totally different conversation. 

They should hold best out of three on a separate day and promote it like how UFC promotes their cards. 

Already we have seen with the Green and Marable wrestle off that given more time and its own stage, a finals matchup at a later date can gain considerable attention. As a fan, its a fair format and an outcome of a match would be accepted without grievance and accusations of favoritism. 

It makes sense that the USOpen winner gets a bye if you think about the US Open as the trials. The trials itself is like a second chance for those who chose not to compete or those who lost at the USOpen. So it makes sense to reward the USopen winner with a bye.  

Having a world medalist bye to the finals of the world team trials without competing at the US Open is a sick joke. 

Now that the World team is offially set, its time for all the guys (and their fans?) who did not make the team to root againt the USA at Worlds.  The adavantage given to returning medal winners (at OTTs) is so great that it virtually forces you to root against the guys on the USA World team.  As a fan, I hate the system.

I'm a big fan of Oliver, Ruth and Taylor.  All got beat fairly at WTTs and are not on the World Team.  I will not really be rooting against Metcalf, Herbert and JB at World's, but I'd be lying if the current system does affect my rooting interest for these 3 guys.   Hate it.

There is no advantage in getting the bye into the final.  You are the best, you prove it on the mat by demolishing and pulverizing any mofo that gets in one's way.  Period.

Those that get the bye are getting the easy way into the final, and they are not getting the baptism by fire, conditioning, or attitude developed by surviving the early rounds of WTTs.

Zach Rey nearly beat Dlagnev.  Zach friggin no name Rey.

There is no advantage in getting the bye into the final.  You are the best, you prove it on the mat by demolishing and pulverizing any mofo that gets in one's way.  Period.

Those that get the bye are getting the easy way into the final, and they are not getting the baptism by fire, conditioning, or attitude developed by surviving the early rounds of WTTs.

And how about how easily Snyder made the team....What a man-child.

my comment was with regards to organizing a professional wrestling circuit, not on the mat rules or bout formats. 

grand slams, point rankings, promotion and relegation to different tiers through round robins, a pro tour run by and for the benefit of the athletes not the federations. the on the mat rules are a totally different conversation. 

Of course, I realized that. Was only making the point that it's not always a good idea to steal from other sports.

Are you kidding? As of June, Rey has the sixth-highest UWW ranking in the country.