Sign in to follow this  
BraunMann

Cael Sanderson's Complete Failure In Preparing Varner For Snyder

With him and McIntosh - who owned Snyder at Big 10's - this is absolutely unexcusable.

Will Varner be switching elsewhere to train for 2016 to be able to take down this punk?

If Varner doesn't make the Olympic team next year my feeling is that he's leaving his shoes on the mat and calling it quits.  

Snyder is legit!  He's better at Freestyle than Folkstyle and I am excited that he's representing the US.  He says and DOES all the right things.  Snyder is going to be the guy at this weight for the next 10 years.

Varner will be right there next year. Varner simply has lost a step. No shame in getting older! Snyder would not have beat a 2011 or 2012 Varner. I mean Snyder beat him 2-1, 3-1, and 3-0. Snyder did control the matches but with a few adjustments Varner could get his spot back. Cox and Gadsen will challenge and make this a deep weight finally but I think it will be between Varner and Snyder at least for 2016. Varner will retire and Cox will challenge him but unless he gets injured Snyder will own this weight even more so than Varner has since 2009. Varner (4 teams) and Cormier(6 teams) since 2002. Nice to see not just a new face but a potential Olympic champ come on the scene here. 

I will give Braun some credit, I was wondering the same thing, how did MM get in on his legs so much when no one else took him down at the Open , WTT or Pan Ams. Varner still owns MM as far as I know at the NLWC. I mean Gadsen had a once in a lifetime throw but MM was in on the legs several times and finished twice at least.

Varner needs to change training partners with Cael older now. I think he will bounce back and make the OLympic team before he retires. I hope not though because Snyder at his young age could be an all time great! 

If Varner doesn't make the Olympic team next year my feeling is that he's leaving his shoes on the mat and calling it quits.  

Snyder is legit!  He's better at Freestyle than Folkstyle and I am excited that he's representing the US.  He says and DOES all the right things.  Snyder is going to be the guy at this weight for the next 10 years.

You don't actually believe Varner will be back for more if he does make the Olympic team, do you? 

Well I object to Braunmann calling Snyder a punk. Totally objectionable IMO. As far as Varner is concerned, I've thought long and hard about his international career. Initially I though Jake was suffering from post Olympic burn out, and family duties keeping him from rekindling the fire in his belly to get back on top of the mountain. But now ( and this may get me laughed off this thread), but I believe the thing that is hampering Jake the most is the new rules. In other words I think Jake's style is better suited under the old rules. But he is great, and I believe he will make the adjustments he needs to, ( including a change in his training), in order to continue his successful career. As far as J'den, Gadsden and Mcintosh are concerned, they are young and hopefully they commit to be in all in. IMO they will only make us better. As far as Snyder, well he's King of the Mountain at the moment. As time goes by we shall see if the Boy King is what some of us hope he can be.

Since we're talking about Synder, I'm still so proud to have met him right after he wrestled Gatsalov at BTS last year.

It was one of the coolest things. After the match, he came right off the big stage, down to the warm-up mats, real close to where I was. I said something like, "Kyle great job, proud of you", and he came right over and shook my hand and said thanks. I was thinking, wow, 100% class act.

Next thing you know, Kyle was signing autographs for a whole bunch of kids - BTS kids and others.   

Cox has legitimate results in Freestyle, even if they only Junior results and a few years old, and has back that up up with an NCAA championship as a FR.

Gadsen has yet to do anything in FS, to my knowledge, so he has a lot to prove before I see him as a threat to Snyder.

Varner is done either way after 2016. I think he will make the Olympic team next year. I hope he doesn't because I want to have Snyder be an all time great so he needs to win now, this year maybe-fingers crossed! Even if Varner makes the team and medals or even wins, which I doubt, he will retire either way. He will be 30 and he will have nothing more to prove and will not be fighting for an all time great status. I mean the guy has had one of the greatest overall careers from the HS, college and internationals levels. If I had a overall business plan, I would put Varner's overall career and consistent results up as the poster child. He is not an all time great talent like Cael or Burroughs but man his career has been successful! 

And the Cael comment was out of line. Without him Varner has no Bronze or Gold medal. Varner is in his prime in 11 and 12 and there is little room for error at this level. If Snyder wins in Vegas and wins the toughest weight outside of Saduleav then everyone will be saying how did Varner wrestle him so close:-) Snyder has three big studs to beat in Yaz, Gads and Gaz. If he does that then a star is born. Snyder is the talk of the town now and will be the talk if he wins in Vegas even over JB and it will be well deserved at his age.

Edited by PRyan2012

BraunMann gets a little tingle downstairs when he posts. Nothing wrong with that and hey, someone needs to spice up these boards between big events.

Now regarding Snyder I think we are looking at it wrong. How about this? Snyder is just that good and was off at Big 10's and NCAAs. You wouldn't think that a guy who takes runner up was off but look at the facts and consider the alternatives. Snyder was flatfooted vs MM despite beating him 6-1 during the regular season. Then despite a year of solid gains he goes from a 3-2 loss to KG to getting flat-backed by KG. Nothing against Gadson, nothing at all, but I wouldn't bet lay odds that in the next ten times they meet he will not be pinning Snyder. Another fact is that Snyder went on to beat everyone in the US including Varner 3x. And don't forget (cause I know you won't) that Varner beat everyone else in the US. It's not like Snyder was one in a long list of US guys who beat Varner recently.

And more facts. In the 2015 US Open Varner beat Kilgore (quarters), Cox (semis), Varner (finals). Three former NCAA champs in a row. No walk through the park. Varner beat Bergman on the other side. In the trials Varner teched Kilgore and beat Bergman on criteria. 

So maybe it's just that Snyder is way better in freestyle. Alternatively, he had a bad end of season in NCAAs that was hard to see because he is just so damn good.

Edited by BigTimeFan

There are a lot of wrestlers I would put above Gadson as top challengers at this weight, like pretty much every guy at the world team trials plus Cox. Let's see him compete at this weight and in this style before he is considered to be one of Snyder's main obstacles to the 2016 Olympic team.