Sign in to follow this  
Abovetheline1

Climmons OU

So, the bigger question is.  What in the heck is going on at OU?  Where's our resident OU insider at?  Someone PLEASE tell me, how the state of Oklahoma has one of the deepest classes in the past three recruiting cycles, and they only get the Dixon brothers?  

Having watched Oklahoma all last season through Nationals, I predict that OU will have a top 50 team. Probably closer to 50 than 25. Brewer and Larson are the only hope in placing and I believe that Larson will have to be a lot bigger to do well in the tournament. The young wrestlers in the line up did not develope during the season. I did not see anyhing that would lead me to think this year will be any different. Hope I'm wrong.

If Cody can repeat his performance you are correct and I hope he does. I just don't know if the stars will align for him like last year. I think if not for Steiber, he was in the run for MVW. I'm also concerned that 133lb will be unmanageable for him. I would like to have a positive spin for the upcoming season but I have not seen or heard anything that will change what is, in my opinion, a dreary outlook for the Sooners. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

The stars didn't "align" for Cody, he beat the tar out of every guy he wrestled last year.  He beat top ranked guys and beat them easily.  I think he has to go in as the clear favorite next year.

You are correct in that Cody Brewer "beat the tar out of every guy he wrestled..." at the tounament and for the most part during the season. That's why I said if it weren't for Steiber he whould have been considered for the Outstanding Wrestler at the tournament. However, a lot goes into wining a championsip: freedom from injury/illness, being able to maintain weight, workout partners, benificary of referees' calls, and coaching. All those things fell into place and Cody wrestled accordingly. As an example, Kendrick Maple battled illness all last year and was not able to repeat the previous year's performance.

Another example is Andrew Howe's inability to overcome Chris Perry's figure four ride. After the conference championship match, I made the statement that Perry had created a monster and that Howe would train to avoid and or overcome Perry's ride and that he would soundly beat Perry in their next match and win the championship. Obviously, one of the stars did not align in Howe's favor. It was pretty obvious that Perry's stars were in alignment when he did not get defeated when he was flat on his back during one of the preliminary matches.

Just saying, everyone can use a little good karma.

Edited by Bloate

DSims, even Earl Hall?

The stars realigned in Brewer's favor when he beat Hall 10 - 5 only a few weeks after Hall pinned him. The loss caused Brewer to drop from a probable #1 seed to # 13? at nationals. Call it karma, alignment of the stars, luck: point is, a lot of things affect the success of a competitor. Just ask Coach Gable.

Edited by Bloate