Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingphish

OkST @ Iowa - Outdoor meet

This year's Oklahoma State vs Iowa meet will be held on Saturday 11/14/15 at Kinnick Stadium in an effort to put the national attendance record out of reach of PSU's hands once and for all. 

I've got a group of about 15 going so far. Can't wait to see how they pull this off.

Edited by wrestlingphish

Newsflash: November 14th, 2015 is a Saturday. And what's to stop Cael from having the Ohio State dual on February 7th at Beaver Stadium, or Tom Ryan from moving his dual with Virginia the night before to Ohio Stadium? You can't add 40,000 seats to Kinnick that quickly!

My apologies. I know that must have really irked you. Newsflash: PSU and OSU don't have that many wrestling fans.

This will be interesting. Everything says the average high in Iowa City in November is 50, but that's just an average. What will it take to get this event canceled? The highest recorded temperature in Iowa City between November 12th and November 20th last year was 29 degrees.

From reading the press release, sounds like they have contingency plans to move it inside Carver-Hawkeye... but no explanation as to what would cause that. Snow? Ice? Rain? Temps below _____ (fill in the blank with a "too cold to wrestle in synthetic singlet outdoors)?

Mark

Newsflash: November 14th, 2015 is a Saturday. And what's to stop Cael from having the Ohio State dual on February 7th at Beaver Stadium, or Tom Ryan from moving his dual with Virginia the night before to Ohio Stadium? You can't add 40,000 seats to Kinnick that quickly!

If Cael can sell out Beaver Stadium...he deserves the record.  It's not going to depend on stadium size.

From reading the press release, sounds like they have contingency plans to move it inside Carver-Hawkeye... but no explanation as to what would cause that. Snow? Ice? Rain? Temps below _____ (fill in the blank with a "too cold to wrestle in synthetic singlet outdoors)?

Mark

The only thing I've seen is a quote from the AD saying that it would have to be a "significant" weather event to move it indoors. And Tom said there will be under-mat heaters, which should help the wrestlers quite a bit. I would guess they will have sideline heaters as well.

This is a great idea! Weather could be an issue with precipitation, but i dont think cold will be an issue unless it is extreme. Look at how many football fans attend in the freezing cold. Also, i think it would be great for penn state to try it in beaver stadium. I could be underestimating here, but i agree with the others that think it is doubtful they could fill it. I say let them try though! It not about penn state vs. iowa, its about promoting our sport!

Mark

The Hawkeyes have been working on coonskin singlets for years now. I'm sure they'll be fine. Dunno about the Cowboys. 

Wait, is there a larger venue in the state of Iowa than Carver aside from Wells Fargo, which is an hour and a half away?

I was going to mention the UNI-Dome at Cedar Falls... then I see it has a seating capacity of 16,000 for football and basketball, and has held as many as 22,000. BTW, Wells Fargo in DSM seats just shy of 17,000. Those figures aren't that much better than Carver's seating capacity, at least in terms of moving the event way off campus. Besides, I think the point of the outdoor dual at Kinnick goes beyond "bringing the record back to Iowa"... but also the idea of outdoor college wrestling events is pretty foreign to those of us who haven't lived in Arizona or California, and are sure to generate considerable media coverage.

Mark