Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingphish

OkST @ Iowa - Outdoor meet

my thoughts...

living in Iowa my entire life, I would say the biggest threat will be precipitation as others have mentioned.  More times than not, its pretty reasonable mid-november.

as far as the beaver stadium and whatnot, it will certainly be interesting to see if Penn State counters.  As others have mentioned it would come down to sheer number of fans.  One thing we have going for us in IA vs OSU is Okie St fans travel pretty well and with more available seating and this kind of spectacle, I think we could draw more of them up here which will in turn help the record numbers.

Big network coverage - the announcement was actually on sportscenter last night which i thought was pretty cool.  they did come right out and say "we most likely won't be playing it on our station but you can guarantee we'll have highlights"

I am so pumped to go to this! Iowa once again stepping up to grow interest in the sport!

Give me a break Turkey, Iowa is doing this first and foremost to get exposure for the University of Iowa wresting team and specifically to break the attendance record.

WildTurkey44, on 07 Aug 2015 - 02:43 AM, said:snapback.png

I am so pumped to go to this! Iowa once again stepping up to grow interest in the sport!

Give me a break Turkey, Iowa is doing this first and foremost to get exposure for the University of Iowa wresting team and specifically to break the attendance record.

i think you're both correct!

Iowa is stepping up to promote the sport Tiger. You can use your Iowa hate and twisted logic however you want. But you can't deny the Lil ol' state of Iowa, with 3 million people are trying hard to keep the world's oldest and greatest sport alive and thriving!

Iowa is stepping up to promote the sport Tiger. You can use your Iowa hate and twisted logic however you want. But you can't deny the Lil ol' state of Iowa, with 3 million people are trying hard to keep the world's oldest and greatest sport alive and thriving!

Oh, that's right, I forgot:

mothter.jpg

I went to a high school dual held outside on the football field last year.  The coach who's school hosted it apparently didn't read the weather report, or take a glance outside.  It rained several times and there were a few breaks in the action because of the weather.

Oh, that's right, I forgot:

mothter.jpg

Don't worry, I am sure St Cael will have it at the PSU football field next year and "Fill It Up" by going out and giving tickets to the homeless and giving out 5 tickets for the price of 1 like they did for the "Sell Out" Pitt dual. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

If they get lucky maybe ESPN News runs a clip of it as an unusual/unique sports moment.

This dual was most likely going to be on the BigTen Network. Now that it has been moved to football season, it will probably only be live streamed. So yes, we have to hope it gets a passing mention in the mainstream news but still how is that better exposure for the sport then having an entire dual on a national network? It's a shame that in Iowa's obsession to get the record back, less people will end up watching this dual, not more. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

This dual was most likely going to be on the BigTen Network. Now that it has been moved to football season, it will probably only be live streamed. So yes, we have to hope it gets a passing mention in the mainstream news but still how is that better exposure for the sport then having an entire dual on a national network? It's a shame that in Iowa's obsession to get the record back, less people will end up watching this dual, not more. 

It is a shame. This really needs to be addressed by the NCAA. They should not let this type of behavior go unchecked. 

What the Iowa-Oklahoma State outdoor dual means for wrestling

MarkPalmer.jpg
Mark Palmer, InterMat Senior Writer
8/8/2015
mark@intermatwrestle.com, Twitter: @MatWriter

Last week's teaser on Twitter concerning an outdoor dual meet at University of Iowa's football stadium proved to be true, as the school's wrestling program confirmed it would be hosting Oklahoma State outside at Kinnick Stadium in mid-November, the Hawkeyes announced Thursday ... with implications for college wrestling that go far beyond Iowa City.

grappleonthegridiron2015.jpgGrapple on the Gridiron takes place Nov. 14 at Kinnick Stadium (Photo/(Brian Ray/hawkeyesports.com)

The original teaser tweet on @Hawks_Wrestling with a visual that featured the date 11.14.15 with the lines of a football field in the background -- all with the idea of breaking a dual attendance record now held by Penn State -- is now "Grapple on the Gridiron" to be held Saturday, Nov. 14 at 11 a.m. Central. That's well ahead of the previously-scheduled 7 p.m. Hawkeye football game vs. Minnesota, which led to earlier speculation the al fresco wrestling event would feature Iowa vs. the Golden Gophers. Instead, the Oklahoma State Cowboys will be invading Kinnick for this unique college wrestling event, the kickoff (pun intended) for the season for both storied wrestling programs.

To keep reading... http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14738

Mark

ASU once held practice outside near the student union. The mats got so hot they had to quit. According to Wrestling at the Trials, the 1960 trials were setup to be in OU's Memorial Football Stadium. This was done because they would wrestle outside in Rome. Unfortunately the trials were in the evening and the condensation made the mats too wet, so they had to move across the street to the McCasland Fieldhouse.

I hope this works, they'll need heated mats, and perhaps some overhead cover in case it rains or snows. Iowa certainly didn't like losing the dual meet attendance record to PSU. Lee Roy Smith told me that John once wrestled in an outdoor arena in Iran in front of 40,000 fans. So that was probably why John agreed so readily.

It's awesome that Iowa and OSU will be doing this. The 2 most storied programs in the sport bringing attention to it (regardless of "us", others will learn of it).

I hope every ticket is sold. It's just too bad Iowa's football stadium "only" holds a little more than 70,000. I state that because if it was 79-80K, a sellout would break the record for another indoor college sport holding an event outdoors.

Michigan State and Kentucky held a bball game outdoors at Ford Field that had 78K+ in attendance. Breaking that record would garner more recognition.

I do wonder about one thing though. If it rains and the Brands are outside, will they have to give up their gold if a rainbow appears? I do admire their sacrifice should that occur!

All the best to the Hawks and Cowboys on 11/14.

Don't be jealous Tiger. That's a bad look for anyone.

This is a great event for Hawk fans and I don't blame you guys for being excited. The attendance record will fall by several thousand at a minimum if the weather cooperates. However, trying to convince people that this event is being done for the betterment of college wrestling is disengenuous.

Now I've had my say and I'm not going to dwell on this anymore other then one final thought; guess we will find out if mother nature is a hawk fan or hawk hater  :-)

Edited by Flying-Tiger

This is a great event for Hawk fans and I don't blame you guys for being excited. The attendance record will fall by several thousand at a minimum if the weather cooperates. However, trying to convince people that this event is being done for the betterment of college wrestling is disengenuous.

Now I've had my say and I'm not going to dwell on this anymore other then one final thought; guess we will find out if mother nature is a hawk fan or hawk hater  :-)

Mother Nature may or may not be a fan of Iowa but God will step in that day and tell her to go make a sandwich.

Growing the sport isn't retweeting something with a meaningless hashtag. Growing the sport is done on a grassroots level.  It is done by growing your own fan-base. Why is this so hard to understand? If Iowa draws a bunch of people that usually wouldn't have came to a wrestling event and puts on a great show they will have grown the sport. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Interesting, so based on what you are saying, one should expect Iowa to see a significant increase in attendance next season after this event. Tell you what, we'll compare average attendance per dual this season after the outside event with average attendance for the previous few years and see if their is any truth to what you are saying. I think we can all agree that's a fair metric. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger