Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingsland

Jered Cortez Transfer

Surprised to see the large difference between Perry and Jeremy Hunter. Is Perry worth 2x the value that Hunter brings?

That was my takeaway as well. I've always thought Hunter is underrated/doesn't get enough credit for Delgado's success. Everyone always seems to credit Perry for any success Illinois has while Heffernan and Hunter hardly ever get mentioned. Edited by Ari Gold

My inside source tells me that Perry is sick of the college scene and wants a change of pace. The only thing keeping him in Champagne is IMar 

Really? I would think that the news might be that Heff is stepping down after this year and Perry will be taking over, but I have no sources on this.

From a coaching perspective, what would he change to? Freestyle? I know he is very knowledgeable, but when was the last time he wrestled a freestyle match? I don't think he competed much, if at all, after college. It seems guys like Bormet, Cael, Rosselli, Zeke etc certainly have a leg up on him.

My inside source tells me that Perry is sick of the college scene and wants a change of pace. The only thing keeping him in Champagne is IMar 

A kid who lives across the street from me is on the Illini team and I ran into him last night by chance while he's home for a week before school begins. Thinking of this thread, I asked him about Perry and he said that if your last name isn't Martinez, Cortez or Reyes, Perry isn't interested in you. I didn't push the conversation too far, but he did a bit. To say that the guys on the team love Heff (every guy I've known who wrestled for the Illini for the last 20-plus years has said this) or Hunter, but feel pretty much the opposite about Perry, was the biggest take away I got from the conversation.

I also asked about Cortez and my neighbor laughed and rolled his eyes. The first thing he said was, "You know he just turned 21, right?" Last week I'd heard from a another friend of mine close to this situation, but this young man reiterated it last night, that apparently Cortez's 21st birthday was so important to him that he's spent it "visiting" the site of this year's Senior World's with a former nationally ranked high school teammate who has been "wayward" since his own graduation. No judging, but understanding what that means, I hope both guys find whatever it is for which they're looking.

Edited by Tofurky

A kid who lives across the street from me is on the Illini team and I ran into him last night by chance while he's home for a week before school begins. Thinking of this thread, I asked him about Perry and he said that if your last name isn't Martinez, Cortez or Reyes, Perry isn't interested in you. I didn't push the conversation too far, but he did a bit. To say that the guys on the team love Heff (every guy I've known who wrestled for the Illini for the last 20-plus years has said this) or Hunter, but feel pretty much the opposite about Perry, was the biggest take away I got from the conversation.

I also asked about Cortez and my neighbor laughed and rolled his eyes. The first thing he said was, "You know he just turned 21, right?" Last week I'd heard from a another friend of mine close to this situation, but this young man reiterated it last night, that apparently Cortez's 21st birthday was so important to him that he's spent it "visiting" the site of this year's Senior World's with a former nationally ranked high school teammate who has been "wayward" since his own graduation. No judging, but understanding what that means, I hope both guys find whatever it is for which they're looking.

So if you're not named Cortez, Martinez, or Reyes and Perry doesn't pay attention to you... Why would 2 of the 3 leave.... (of course, if Guillermo is correct, then it makes sense)

Something nefarious about going to Vegas with an old friend on your 21st?

So if you're not named Cortez, Martinez, or Reyes and Perry doesn't pay attention to you... Why would 2 of the 3 leave.... (of course, if Guillermo is correct, then it makes sense)

I read this as implying that they are leaving because Perry is allegedly leaving.

Does IMart stay if Perry goes?

Something nefarious about going to Vegas with an old friend on your 21st?

From the people I've heard it from, this has far more to do with priorities on a larger scale than anything regarding illicit behavior.

so was the room so sour all those guys left because Perry left? Did they leave because of him and he got fired for it? Does he just not want to be a college coach? Odd given his statements in his documentary. Is he moving to an island to fight for the safety issues associated with falling coconuts? I'm very intrigued. 

They were speculating Wyoming and Northern Colorado. Said Cortez didn't want to sit a year.

This is a good fit. He gets to heal up, train with some studs, and then the spot is available to him in 2016. Hopefully Chad Red gets on board now.... he would get the benefit of redshirting and bulking up to 141.