Sign in to follow this  
gutfirst

Randy lewis non olympic years?

I can't say for certain, but I am guessing he just didn't make the team in those non-Olympic years.  In 1981 he was coming off the dislocated elbow that derailed his senior year at Iowa (Gibbons won the NCAAs and it was the dual with Iowa State vs Gibbons where lewis had the injury).  I think Mike Land from ISU was on the World team that year.  In '83 Lee Roy Smith was the World Silver Medalist.  '86 Joe McFarland was a World Silver Medalist.  Once 1987 came around Joh Smith owned the weight class.  One thing about Lew Boo, was that you know the scoreboard operator was going to get a workout.  Loved watching him open up the offense.

Actually he got hosed in the semis against Sterev of Bulgaria (got his hand raised to meet Sergie Beloglazov (up a weight to allow his brother Anatoly to go 57 kg where he pinned defending champ Tomiyama in the finals). It was sad; LeeRoy got hurt while showering (slipped and dislocated his shoulder in Edmonton, site of the tourney) a couple days before the event; Randy had little time to prepare for the tournament (truly an incredible performance on his part); Bulgaria protested a call that was reviewed in the back room, well after everyone had cleared the gym. I witnessed these atrocities far too often; they've got it right now. At least when you leave the mat today, every thing is final.

That protested match is on YouTube, one of the best ever. I'll be honest it looked to me like Sterev was the winner but it's far to frenetic for me to score. It slways sucks when matches get overturned though. Thankfully not part of wrestling anymore.

Edited by armspin

different video. much better quality. got this one 14-14. i don't remember the tie break from early 80's. i think it went fewest passives/cautions, most highest scores? the scoreboard had 14-13 lewis. i think they may have scored the back arch as a 3 when it was clearly a 4 at 2:00. anyone know how it was rescored?

Wow, really enjoyed that match. Didn't add up all the points, but seemed like lewboo scored more and was the better wrestler in that match.

And just by watching, that other wrestler was excellent too.  

Edited by 2td3nf

This limitation preceded those. It was basically about cheap tilts. Mills defended a single and belly rolled him several times. After my arm got tired of signalling two, Yarygin got up from his chair and blocked the sun for several minutes. The calls were confirmed there but I found out that they showed the film at the World Cup the next week and Ercegan decided that Mills should only have scored twice. The first time because he lifted with it and then just once of the series of cheap tilts.

Wow, really enjoyed that match. Didn't add up all the points, but seemed like lewboo scored more and was the better wrestler in that match.

And just by watching, that other wrestler was excellent too.  

Great bout, but Sterev wins.  Three monster throws to the back and far more leg attacks/aggressiveness.  JMHO, the better man won this match.

Usually the US bias is for the guy who takes more shots and scores from his feet. Interesting that Lewis "won" with counters, par terre and par terre reversals.

Edited by Jim L

different video. much better quality. got this one 14-14. i don't remember the tie break from early 80's. i think it went fewest passives/cautions, most highest scores? the scoreboard had 14-13 lewis. i think they may have scored the back arch as a 3 when it was clearly a 4 at 2:00. anyone know how it was rescored?

The back arch at 2:00 is one the best throws you could ever hope to see... clearly should have been 4

Ok, just watched it a second time, and yeah, Sterev hit like 4 different throws from the feet. At first, thought Lewis racked up more points, but after reading some of the above posts, and watching again, looks like Sterev should have won.

Saying this all not knowing how they scored everything back then. Still, what a fantastic match. 

These videos are from my original YouTube page:  https://www.youtube.com/user/the1qs/videos

I have had multiple coversations with Lewboo over the years regarding this bout.  I can comment some other time soon, but I'm leaving for Brazil in a few hours.

One thing to keep in mind when trying to score the vid, is that in 1982 all feet to back exposures were only 2 points.  I believe it was changed to 3 the following year.  I know this because Lewboo informed of the rules when I tried to score the vid because it wasn't adding up right (I was giving 3 for feet to back).

Craig