Sign in to follow this  
takedownartist

In the room ego problems.....common among coaching staff?

Among current college rooms and even say top 20 elite high school programs...is there room enough for all the alpha type personalities on the coaching staff?

Let us be honest, most great wrestlers who turn into great or not so great coaches have big egos more often than not. Honestly I have no problem with big egos when backed up with talent.

I also know have seen personally where behind closed doors of a room, assistant coach(s) who pretty much ran the whole program almost daily.

It is a fine line as many assistant coaches wish to move up into head coach at another school or other ideas.

Of course I do not want any specific names/schools to be thrown out there.

I think it's hard when the assistants are still actively training; for the most part, their focus is on themselves and their own training cycles, not the team's.  I've also seen where the assistants carry a program while the head man has checked out and is just a figurehead; that gets old when you are an assistant.  Pretty cool, though, when everyone is on the same sheet of music and pushing in the same direction.

I think this is a pretty common problem. A big part is the misconception that Good wrestler=Good coach. Thats not always the case.

Amen--first hand experience with this.  And some very mediocre wrestlers have been incredible coaches.  Coaching/competing are two different animals.

I was never a big fan of that maxim. No thinking person assumes all good wrestlers are good coaches, but despite that it correlates a lot better than assuming the worse you are at wrestling the better you are at coaching...So it kinda splits the difference between a straw man argument a useless piece of information.