jmachinder

FS Junior Worlds - Team Race

Fila team race scoring can be a bit frustrating, but it is what it is and every team has the same chances to win.  

At last year's juniors, Iran won with 64 points, USA had 58 and Russia had 49.  These scores are higher than the top three teams at most Sr. Worlds, so it suggests that there isn't the same parity there worldwide.  At least not last year.  

Balance is really the key to doing well.  Having all 8 guys place is significantly more important than getting a gold instead of a bronze.  

USA probably isn't quite as balanced a team as they were last year so they will probably need help from the rest of the field to keep Iran and Russia under 50 points.  I could see USA winning a race where the championship team had less than 50 points, if the winner has more than 50 points, it would most likely be Russia or Iran.  

It's even tougher to handicap any of the weights at Jr. Worlds since there's so many new faces and wrestlers at this age can improve by leaps and bounds from their abilities the previous year.  

60KG is interesting with Sedeghi, McKenna and Rashidov all back.  

84KG will be fun to watch with Valencia and Goleij both being strong newcomers for USA and Iran

I think Spencer Lee and Pico should be considered favorites.   

Maybe I'm wrong, but looks like there is no live stream so far today for Jr World's Greco, although there is a live stream link on UWW's website. The link brings up the mats, but there's no video coverage. Hope this isn't the case for freestyle too.

Starting to get a bad feeling that Vegas won't have a live stream either. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but looks like there is no live stream so far today for Jr World's Greco, although there is a live stream link on UWW's website. The link brings up the mats, but there's no video coverage. Hope this isn't the case for freestyle too.

Starting to get a bad feeling that Vegas won't have a live stream either. 

I am getting mats B and C to stream through this link: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/junior-world-championships

Mat A is the only one I am seeing as not streaming, and I thought I saw that the video crew got stuck somewhere, so that was the issue.

I am getting mats B and C to stream through this link: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/junior-world-championships

Mat A is the only one I am seeing as not streaming, and I thought I saw that the video crew got stuck somewhere, so that was the issue.

http://livestream.com/unitedworldwrestling

All three mats.

As far as the team race, in addition to IRI, RUS, and USA, AZE brought some talent:

55- Amiraslanov - 2x Cadet World Silver

60- Aliev - Jr World 3rd

66- Mammadov - Cadet World Champ last year

96- Gadzhiyev - Euro U23 Silver this year

120- Gamidov - 2012 Cadet World Silver, 2015 Euro Jr Champ

120 also seems loaded with the Iranian the likely favorite, and the RUS, AZE, POL, TUR, and GEO (greco background) all being accomplished. 

Just watched today's American matches archived on Flo.

One theme I thought I saw was the other countries come out of the gate hitting and executing moves. Looks like the Americans come out and "wait around" for the perfect setup and next thing you know they're teched.

Even the one American win today, Dalton Roberts was down 8-1 before he made an amazing comeback in the 2nd period. Then his next match he's teched in under a minute.

Not criticizing our guys, just talking as a disappointed USA fan here.

Now, the 60kg final, that was a beautiful throw by the Russian at about 1:30 into the match. Just so quick, powerful, and confident. Best in the world stuff.

That will be a contender for move of the day, it was perfect. Who is this russian guy?

By the way, my stream stopped.

My stream stopped for the last (96kg) weight class. Missed all the 96kg medal matches.

This is a difficult and frustrating sport to follow. Some of the best wrestlers in the world weren't even considered to be covered at the Pan Am's. A major network decided to webcast only 1 of the 2 mats. Couldn't follow some of the world's best wrestlers in a pretty big event. Thought it was somewhat surprising given the media technology of 2015. 

Now this. 

Georgian GR team indeed did a tremendous job this year, but the best GR wrestler of the tournament award, if there was one, should go to Murad Mammadov of Azerbaijan, who outscored his opponents 42-0 en route to his second World champion title.

I have to agree with 2td3nf, we're halfway through the competition, and so far we're not experiencing the kind of success I thought we would. I'm not sure what's going on? Are we waiting for the perfect situation before attempting a move? Is it that we are wrestling too timid ? Do we not have the right mind set ? Or are we in a situation where the other teams just came better prepared ? Hopefully our coaches and wrestlers can make the proper adjustments and we can start bringing home some medals in the remainder of this competition.