jmachinder

FS Junior Worlds - Team Race

I just don't think the us is that concerned with greco. Look at our fan base, how many people commented on our performance thus far? I bet the first day of fs gets 3x more discussion going than all the greco/women's competition to this point. Were we ever expected to do much I'm greco? I don't think so, but I think it's a snooze of a style and don't care to follow it. I expect things will pick up very shortly.

Sure, international freestyle is probably my favorite style too, but I'm starting to love Greco as well.

Perhaps it's just the American Greco team that is boring. In the few matches that I saw at these Greco Jr World's, there were chock full of throws, armspins, headlocks, and other beautiful offensive and countering moves by many of the other countries. So for the last 15 years, the Americans can't seem to figure out how to join this party and hit these moves too?

I guess we should expect no Jr Greco American finalists in the next 15 years as well.

Sure, international freestyle is probably my favorite style too, but I'm starting to love Greco as well.

Perhaps it's just the American Greco team that is boring. In the few matches that I saw at these Greco Jr World's, there were chock full of throws, armspins, headlocks, and other beautiful offensive and countering moves by many of the other countries. So for the last 15 years, the Americans can't seem to figure out how to join this party and hit these moves too?

I guess we should expect no Jr Greco American finalists in the next 15 years as well.

unfortunately, you may be correct about the next 15 yrs. Greco is an afterthought in 98% of America.

Greco just isn't a preferred style in the US. We don't have the numbers, the coaching, the mindset, etc. I thought in 1992 there would be a surge of greco success and we have had a few stellar individuals but not year in, year out consistency.

McKenna weighed 60.0kg on one scale, 60.1 on the official weigh in scale. Gotta calibrate. Crappy situation for all involved. info per flo

Sure but if you know you are that close on a test scale and only get one official shot at making it then it seems worth any extra little thing you can do to drop that additional 0.1 that could be in flux between scales.

So close, yet so far. Has to be heartbreaking to cut that close and still not make it.

Ironically, remember watching Flo's weigh in video from last year's Jr World's, and McKenna was quoted saying something like, "takes forever for the weigh in time to arrive". Turns out he probably needed 5 or 10 more minutes this year. Just speculating, I have no facts with his weight issue for this tournament. Maybe his body just wouldn't go down that far. I don't know.

What I do know is how hard these guys work to make the team, and how hard they work to make their respective weight classes. Feel real bad for Joey. I'm sure he's devastated, especially if he was that close.

Hopefully his teammates can pick him up a little, and put on a strong showing.  

Yeah I don't know you can blame him at all.   He made it on the test scale and held the weight until it was time to weigh in on the official scale.   Official scale said something different.   There's no way anyone can blame McKenna for that.   

I have no empathy for those who miss weight, but if the equipment you're working with over there is not properly calibrated, that isn't the wrestler's fault.   Carpy situation.   

i don't know how you can claim to not even comprehend the experience of missing weight, and not think you can blame him a little for stepping on the scale exactly on. 

But regardless I don't think anyone has to say anything about it, kid competes and travels non stop, which is much more of grind than just training, so i'm sure he's motivated and taking this as hard or harder than he should. 

i don't know how you can claim to not even comprehend the experience of missing weight, and not think you can blame him a little for stepping on the scale exactly on. 

But regardless I don't think anyone has to say anything about it, kid competes and travels non stop, which is much more of grind than just training, so i'm sure he's motivated and taking this as hard or harder than he should. 

It goes back to my own days of cutting huge amounts.   I didn't have the luxury of having weight to spare, I had to get right on weight and then hold it long enough to weigh in.   I never missed, thus I don't tolerate those who do miss.   But if they are going to weigh you in on a scale that reads differently than the one you're making weight on that they provide, it sort of eliminates the point of making weight.  Now you have to be under the weight.   

If you want someone to be .1kg under that is the equivalent of being .25lbs under. When I was pulling hard I was barely under by .1lbs, let alone a quarter of a pound.

With the scale being in kg, they have less chance to fluctuate between scales

Edited by BobDole

Bob, good point. Are the scales only to 1 decimal? If so, a bit trickier to calibrate. And coaches should know the situation and proper guidance should be given .... And acted on. Is it true there is only one shot given?

Regarding numbers, conversion is .22 pounds. If one decimal and standard rounding procedures, he could have been 0.109 pounds over and still made it. Just aiming for clarity. I get the issue of the scales not matching.

Edited by nom