jmachinder

FS Junior Worlds - Team Race

Congrats to Spencer, hopefully he can take home a Championship tonight. As far as McKenna, I'm not sure what to say, I'm not sure if the coaching staff wasn't paying close enough attention to this or what. Mark Hall like some of our other wrestlers, was a little flat. Lastly Cassar, just got a bad break with his injury. I was going to say that all of our teams, are just not getting it done and were under prepared, but when you see Georgii Gogaev, go down as well as a lot of other Russians, it makes me wonder what's going on. But Iran and Azerbaijan certainly came ready to do some battle.

aghhh .. Hall.  Just watched the match.  Can't say much ... pretty boring.  Very few risks taken either way.  

Looks like the finals are 5pm eastern time.  Am I right?  can anyone confirm?

Team Russia with 1 finalist and 1 wrestling for bronze.

Getting back to Hall, only saw the Nagy match live, and just watched all 3 of his matches on the archives. He looked real good in his first two matches and that inside trip against AZE was beautiful.

I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but looked like Hall had Nagy on the ropes right after Hall's push out in the 2nd period. Looked like Nagy was gassing a bit and a little off balanced there and it just felt like Hall could of put him away right there. When he didn't I started to get that "oh no, this guy's hanging around" feeling, and sure enough it happened.

Got to give credit to Nagy for staying pinpoint focused with less than 4 seconds left and executing the win. Then unfortunately for Hall, Nagy gets blitzed by Iran.

aghhh .. Hall.  Just watched the match.  Can't say much ... pretty boring.  Very few risks taken either way.  

Looks like the finals are 5pm eastern time.  Am I right?  can anyone confirm?

Yup 5et

Personally, I dont think Hall looked like himself the whole tournament, perhaps he is a little under the weather?  Both the JPN and the AZE matches were close, with JPN, he had that nice defensive move and then the inside trip against AZE.  Other than those two moves, the scores would have been tight. 

Personally, I dont think Hall looked like himself the whole tournament, perhaps he is a little under the weather?  Both the JPN and the AZE matches were close, with JPN, he had that nice defensive move and then the inside trip against AZE.  Other than those two moves, the scores would have been tight. 

Or...the guys in this weight class are just that tough.  Just because Spencer blew through his bracket didn't mean that Hall was going to.

Of course, all 3 guys that Hall faced were very tough.

My point is that too many Americans don't open it up enough and score points in the World tournaments. Look what happened when AZE forced Hall to wrestle - a beautiful inside trip and a fall for Hall. Just excellent technique, but it didn't show up until it was forced out of Hall.

Then look what happened when Hall wrestled Nagy where he didn't open it up at all. Again, this is probably easier said than done especially sitting here behind my computer screen, but I feel like year after year so many American wrestlers leave all their talent in their back pocket instead of having fun and showing off that talent and all the hard work they put into it.

Love when some of the Americans wrestlers go out there and light up the scoreboard and wrestle the full 6 minutes. Good things usually happen.

This tournament is ridiculously tough.  However, I do think it's entirely possible that the Azerbaijan wrestler is better than the Hungarian who Hall lost to.  Hall is a beast, he'll bounce back.

Quite a bit of bad luck for the US. The injury, plus the missed weight, plus Hall giving up the last minute takedown effectively removed us from the running.

The missed weight was controversial, but still our fault. Hall didn't look himself and still almost pulled off a nice win and the injury was a fluke.

Extremely frustrating. We realistically could've had 3 finalists, or at least 2 + an opportunity for bronze from Hall.

Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Would love to see a duel match against Iran. That would be extremely competitive I think. Iran would be the favorite, but we match up pretty well.

I think we need to remember that Hall is a first year Junior.  He may be one of our most promising prospects, but at the world stage is an entirely different level.  It's extremely difficult to jump onto the scene in the middle weights the first year like Pico and Snyder did.  How old was the guy who beat him?

No excuse for missing weight.  Not at this level.  Bar him a year from international competition sponsored by USAW (he has to pay his own way for the next 12 months).   

What is funny though is I remember Floradio having a nice discussion about how the special wrestle off should have been held at "scratch" weight instead of the 2kg allowance they were reportedly given.  That assessment seems spot on now.  

Edited by Billyhoyle