jmachinder

FS Junior Worlds - Team Race

The fact Spenser Lee isn't afraid to smile after winning a tournament tells me he has a lot more in common with Sanderson then the Brands brothers. If he goes to Iowa, first thing they'll do is beat that out of him and he'll end looking like the guy on the right even after a big win.

SpencerLeeArms800x500.jpg?as=0&mw=765&mh

Edited by Flying-Tiger

The fact Spenser Lee isn't afraid to smile after winning a tournament tells me he has a lot more in common with Sanderson then the Brands brothers. If he goes to Iowa, first thing they'll do is beat that out of him and he'll end looking like the guy on the right even after a big win.

SpencerLeeArms800x500.jpg?as=0&mw=765&mh

Too funny and true.  However, the smile is more indicative of a Buckeye, a la Tomasello. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Pico wins 11-0 TF. Two observations, what do you all think?

1. Pico had more leg attacks in that match than I've seen in a long time. He's usually a heavy-hands, snapdown machine with some leg attacks as counter-offense. I thought he really upped his game. Or perhaps his opponent was weaker than I've seen him against. I am not sure which.

2. Pico looked skinny. As did Hall. As did Lee. Any chance the training camp was brutal and they overworked?

Valencia with the awesome first period 10-0 TF. He and bro have incredible shots and motion. It's really impressive especially to think that Zahid was 132 pounds not too long ago. 

He also looked skinny. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

I am sure you are trolling me. Regardless I think it would be a good match with him and Fix with college rules. But I would easily take Lee. Lee had like a 5-1 takedown edge on Daton in their two most Freestyle matches. Lee is an absolute monster on top with his bar and tilts. Fix does seem to have a real good motor and he definitely has the size advantage, but I would still like Lee to win a college match.

Not trolling.  Fix wore him down both times in freestyle and I would expect that to happen in folk as well.

Not trolling.  Fix wore him down both times in freestyle and I would expect that to happen in folk as well.

There was a lot more to the Fix-Lee match than just engine. Lee wrestled bad tactically. He needed to slow the action down and maintain his lead. The first match was understandable but the second match went down exactly as the first. Failing slowing down the action he needed to finish his shots. Lee himself said he stopped wrestling, and he didn't mean he stopped taking shots. He stopped finishing shots. That could have been his gas tank and if so he could have slowed down the action.

Also, as mentioned before fix is a lot bigger and a lot more physically mature than Lee. Lee still has a baby face. Fix needs a shave. Lee is still only sixteen and had to petition into the Jr. Worlds. Even though Fix and Lee are the same year in HS (rising junior) Fix is older. 

All that said, I wouldn't put money down on a re-match either way. It's too close and they are both improving rapidly. Best thing for the USA is if they end up different weights. 

As for Fix's conqueror Micic, well, he's wrestling today. We will see how that goes. I'm rooting for him.

What the #&@#%?!! Micic looked horribly gassed. He was easily out classing Kumar from India and then at about 4 minutes he just starts to lose it. So disappointing. Did these our overtrain?

Also, come on Flo! You tweeted Micic up on Mat A half-way through the match.

Edited by BigTimeFan

If that match happens in folk, I'll gladly take you up on a friendly paypal wager. In fact, I'll give you 5-1 odds. Fix wins, I pay you $ 100. Lee wins, you give me $ 20. Lee's best position in folk is on top. He took Fix down 5 times, and in folk would grind him for 2-3 minutes at a stretch. Cheap exposure points don't count in folk, and that is how he scored and won against Lee. Fix did have a nice inside trip in the 2nd match, but his other points were cheap exposure and push outs. Those don't count in folk. Think Logan Stieber v. Devin Carter. Would be a similar score with these two.

In fact, if the match occurs, I will give you 4 points as well. Any takers?