jmachinder

FS Junior Worlds - Team Race

Cheap exposure points.  LOL  

A 5:1 odds and you think your guy will grind out a 5 point win?   I'll take the bet!!!!  The match difference will be the same regardless of style.

Good.  Let's hope it happens. 

Yes, cheap exposure points.  Did you watch the matches?  When a guy is deep in on your legs, and you flip him over, but he maintains complete control...those are cheap exposure points.  In folk style, you don't score when you expose a guy who has control.  In fact, in folk, the scramble continues and I have confidence that Lee knows how to finish those takedowns.  And then I know that he pounds guys from top position.  They don't put them back on their feet.  Fix was fresh because he only has to defend in par terre for about 5-10 seconds.  In folk, he will have a full period to defend against Lee. 

When a guy is deep in on your legs, and you flip him over, 

You kinda lost your own point there with this."You flip him over" -- that implies you did something to expose your opponent's back to the mat. I don't know why we want to continually use folkstyle mentalities to explain freestyle wrestling when they are different styles of wrestling. Sure, it's a cheap point if you think about it in folkstyle, but it's good awareness and understanding of the style within the style you're wrestling.

It's like saying "that's a cheap turn" off a beautifully set up trapped-arm gut because the guy locks his hands. It's illegal in American folkstyle, but a dynamic and difficult technique to properly set up and hit given the short amount of time you're given in par terre. 

Let's stop making these style comparisons -- it's wrestling and there's different styles. 

You know what a cheap point is? 1:04 of riding time in a 3-2 folkstyle win in college. That's a cheap point. Take a stall, hang on an ankle a few times, run out of bounds. 

2. Pico looked skinny. As did Hall. As did Lee. Any chance the training camp was brutal and they overworked?

Pico looked skinny, but also taller. Maybe he grew and is growing out of 65kg? I haven't caught up on this thread yet today, sorry if this is old news. 

Good.  Let's hope it happens. 

Yes, cheap exposure points.  Did you watch the matches?  When a guy is deep in on your legs, and you flip him over, but he maintains complete control...those are cheap exposure points.  In folk style, you don't score when you expose a guy who has control.  In fact, in folk, the scramble continues and I have confidence that Lee knows how to finish those takedowns.  And then I know that he pounds guys from top position.  They don't put them back on their feet.  Fix was fresh because he only has to defend in par terre for about 5-10 seconds.  In folk, he will have a full period to defend against Lee. 

So to recap, everything Lee did wrong was either a Freestyle issue (cheap exposures) or it was him just not doing what he knows how (finishing takedowns).  Conversely everything Fix did right will not work again.  Lee will make every possible adjustment in folkstyle, but you somehow think Fix will keep going for exposure in Folk matches and will give up the TD when he doesn't get the two for exposure.  Add it all up and consecutive wins over a guy equals getting hammered in the rematch.

I would hate to see your prediction for a rematch if Lee had actually won a match against him.  Lee by 1st round TKO I guess?

It is possible/probable that Lee wrestles totally different in a folkstyle match.  But you act like it will be folkstyle rules Lee against Freestyle Fix.  Perhaps one of the biggest reasons Lee scored 1 point takedowns was because Fix thought he could get enough cheap exposures to balance it out.  Maybe in a folkstyle match Fix is far more conservative and Lee never sniffs his legs.  Or maybe not.

My point is you are laughably biased in your analysis.  You are working backwards from your preferred rematch result (Lee winning) to make the matches mean what you want them to.

And oh yeah, go USA in the bronze medal matches.

So to recap, everything Lee did wrong was either a Freestyle issue (cheap exposures) or it was him just not doing what he knows how (finishing takedowns).  Conversely everything Fix did right will not work again.  Lee will make every possible adjustment in folkstyle, but you somehow think Fix will keep going for exposure in Folk matches and will give up the TD when he doesn't get the two for exposure.  Add it all up and consecutive wins over a guy equals getting hammered in the rematch.

I would hate to see your prediction for a rematch if Lee had actually won a match against him.  Lee by 1st round TKO I guess?

It is possible/probable that Lee wrestles totally different in a folkstyle match.  But you act like it will be folkstyle rules Lee against Freestyle Fix.  Perhaps one of the biggest reasons Lee scored 1 point takedowns was because Fix thought he could get enough cheap exposures to balance it out.  Maybe in a folkstyle match Fix is far more conservative and Lee never sniffs his legs.  Or maybe not.

My point is you are laughably biased in your analysis.  You are working backwards from your preferred rematch result (Lee winning) to make the matches mean what you want them to.

And oh yeah, go USA in the bronze medal matches.

It really does not matter who is better right now.  They both are young and have a lot of development left before they are ready to compete at the senior world stage.  They may not end up close in weight when they are done growing.  Consider that the guy who beat Micic just got wrecked in the finals. 

It really does not matter who is better right now.  They both are young and have a lot of development left before they are ready to compete at the senior world stage.  They may not end up close in weight when they are done growing.  Consider that the guy who beat Micic just got wrecked in the finals. 

I'm really not engaging in a who's better argument.  I'm pointing out bias in the post I quoted.  I felt it was biased to the point of dishonesty (ignoring every fact that doesn't support an argument and twisting every one that might).  

I don't have a clue who is better (nor do I really care that much).  I mostly follow college wrestling.  I assume both will be great.

Edited by boconnell