Sign in to follow this  
ideamark

Decision to expel ex-UTC wrestler Corey Mock reversed in court

This story has pretty much been unreported over its 18-month life. Corey Mock is the son of CD Mock, the former University of North Carolina head wrestling coach who was fired in June.

Decision to expel ex-UTC wrestler Corey Mock reversed in court
MarkPalmer.jpg
Mark Palmer, InterMat Senior Writer
8/11/2015
mark@intermatwrestle.com, Twitter: @MatWriter

A state judge has ruled that the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga made a mistake in finding former Moc wrestler Corey Mock guilty of sexual misconduct based on his inability to prove he had obtained verbal consent from a woman who described her own memory of their encounter as clouded by intoxication.

coreymockutc.jpg

To keep reading... http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14749

C.D. may not have chosen his words wisely, but I think he was correct in many ways.  I also want to solute him for his passionate support of his son.  He could have taken the political road and avoided any public conversation which would have most likely kept him employed.  Instead he passionately fought for his son's tarnished reputation.

Social media has as many brutal negatives as it does positives.  It seems the only time you are presumed innocent until proven guilty is ACTUALLY INSIDE the Court of Law.  In public, you are almost ALWAYS guilty as soon as someone reads the charges.  Hell, if I got in trouble for every girl I had sexual relations with that had alcohol in her system at the time, I would be serving multiple life sentences and I was probably the most gentleman-like out of everyone I knew.  The Mock family will be dealing with the adverse affects of this for a very long time and yet no legal action was ever taken.

"Hell, if I got in trouble for every girl I had sexual relations with that had alcohol in her system at the time..."

Your statment has a lot of implications in this day of political/social correctness. The first thought that came to mind is that I'm old, could you please elaborate.

On a more serious note, it seems to me that personal responsibility is a vctim of this correctness. If alcohol causes diminished capacity and the inability to make rational decisions, then take responsibility and don't imbibe.

I was under the impression that a man(initiator) having sex with an intoxicated woman is sexual assault by definition because the woman cannot give informed consent. This entire situation sounds crazy to me. 

MS158 -- the description of this sexual encounter involves vomiting prior to sex and semi-consciousness.  I hope your experiences were different than that.

CD did not lose his job because he spoke out. He lost his job because he made incendiary comments on a controversial topic on company time, in his company office, while fielding a mediocre at best product, in a manner that blurred the line between what CD as a person was saying and what CD the head UNC wrestling coach and representative of a large state university was saying.

Is it possible that Corey Mock will be granted a sixth year of eligibility, like with what happened in the Duke Lacrosse case?

Interesting. You would think that this is very similiar to the Duke situation in a legal sense.

On a side note, an Oklahoma football player was given a medical redshirt (6th year) after being dismissed from the team subsequent to hospitiltizing a friend in what was described as a steriod fueled street fight. I don't remember the particulars, but the roid rage was determined to be a medical condition.

Edited by Bloate

I was under the impression that a man(initiator) having sex with an intoxicated woman is sexual assault by definition because the woman cannot give informed consent. This entire situation sounds crazy to me.

MS158 -- the description of this sexual encounter involves vomiting prior to sex and semi-consciousness. I hope your experiences were different than that.

I think only one person was claiming any one was actually semi conciousness during the incident. Semi conciousness is not required for memory loss when alcohol is involved.

And there are plenty of college parties that feature vomiting early on from the "pre game" and go down hill from there.

Not saying it's right or moral but it's common at every college I've ever visited.

Also, men can be raped by women, it's not common but to say the onus is entirely on the guy who must be the initiator is not correct.

Edited by HuskyHero133

Plasmodium,

Who's description?  Corroborated?  My point wasn't that it should in any way be ok to have sexual relations with someone so inebriated to be unable to make an informed decision.  My point was it is absolutely ridiculous to expect someone to not have sex because their partner has been drinking.  And THAT is ALL that was proven.  They had sex and she drank.

It is also fair to point out that the 18-35 male demographic would almost NEVER have sex if alcohol wasn't involved.  Heck, I am willing to go one step further ad say many married people would be doing it even less than they do as well.  Again, expecting a man to abstain because a woman has been drinking is beyond unrealistic.

Guest Kingsland

Plasmodium,

Who's description? Corroborated? My point wasn't that it should in any way be ok to have sexual relations with someone so inebriated to be unable to make an informed decision. My point was it is absolutely ridiculous to expect someone to not have sex because their partner has been drinking. And THAT is ALL that was proven. They had sex and she drank.

It is also fair to point out that the 18-35 male demographic would almost NEVER have sex if alcohol wasn't involved. Heck, I am willing to go one step further ad say many married people would be doing it even less than they do as well. Again, expecting a man to abstain because a woman has been drinking is beyond unrealistic.

As a male in the 18-35 demographic I'm going to say that is complete bs.

Interesting.  Dinner and drinks sex.  Bar hook up sex.  Romantic evenings with no wine or champagne sex?  Party sex.  I can see it when you have an established relationship but very hard to see the "walk up sober and she is sober and say I like you you like me lets go have sex" working out very well......

Plasmodium,

Who's description?  Corroborated?  My point wasn't that it should in any way be ok to have sexual relations with someone so inebriated to be unable to make an informed decision.  My point was it is absolutely ridiculous to expect someone to not have sex because their partner has been drinking.  And THAT is ALL that was proven.  They had sex and she drank.

It is also fair to point out that the 18-35 male demographic would almost NEVER have sex if alcohol wasn't involved.  Heck, I am willing to go one step further ad say many married people would be doing it even less than they do as well.  Again, expecting a man to abstain because a woman has been drinking is beyond unrealistic.

No shortage of Mormons and Muslims in this world. Corey Mock testified that she vomited on at least two occasions that night. Including once in the bed. For most, that spoils the mood.

MSU,

Even if the majority of sexual encounters included alcohol is doesn't make it right and this case would prove to be a huge reason why. If you are "probably the most gentleman-like out of everyone that I knew", you might want to meet some new people.

unbiased,

Seriously?  You are telling me every girl at a party or bar that is drinking should be off-limits?  I am not saying I ever went after a "sloppy" drunk.  I actually liked coherent partners.  But that is just me.

My main reason for this post is the belief that drinking protects women from making this "decision".  It's extremely hypocritical.  How many people wake up the next day after drinking and regret the things they did?  Do they get a pass?  If I drove drunk the night before, why should I get a DUI?  I drank and my judgement was therefor impaired.  Unless the woman was physically forced into the act, why does the fact she was drinking give her a pass? That is my WHOLE point.  Her simply drinking is NOT enough to protect her from regretting a decision the day after.  Many other factors would have to be involved for that to be the case. 

Too many people abuse alcohol, that is the first problem. Too many people regret doing what they did the night before when they abused alcohol. Driving drunk is breaking the law, that is why you get a DUI. Drinking at a party (if of legal age) isn't breaking the law. Its not about giving women a pass, its about trying to protect women from this (storyline) kind of thing happening. I am not the judge or jury here and I don't think in all cases that justice is served. The point in this case and most others is if you don't know the girl well enough to decide if she would agree the next day that is was consensual, make up a story,  or turn you in for something that she later felt had happened that was unwanted, they you (the man) should just use your better judgment and stay away from her.

Edited by unbiased

So your advice is for no guy to hook up with a woman that has been drinking no matter how willing or coherent?

That should work... All we have to do is ignore everything we know about human behavior, the effects of alcohol, etc...

I could imagine a conversation in the Dorm:  "Hey Jimmy."  "What's up, Tommy?" "You want to go to the Delta Sig party?"  "Are any girls gonna be there?"  "Yep.  A ton of hotties!"  "Sweet.......Wait, are they going to be drinking?"  "Yep."  "Oh........Well I guess I am just gonna stay in and study/play video games......."