Housebuye

Spencer Lee

Well you said in another topic that his leg lace is the best since John Smith's.....can we make up our minds on what type of deity the kid is? This church is gonna need a reformation sooner rather than later if we can't even agree what our golden calf's best moves are!

It's like this.

John Smith

Spencer Lee

Big Bruce

JB

Everyone else

I think he'd place pretty well at NCAA's. The guys he beat at Junior World Championships have to be close to equal of an NCAA field one would think. Different styles, but still. 

One thing to consider, however, the guys he beat at Jr Worlds were 110 pounders.   They are also wrestling freestyle, not folk, and it was a 1 day performance.   The NCAA season grind followed by the tournament grind is an entirely different animal.   Perhaps he can place pretty well at NCAAs right now, but also lets consider his HS opponent a few weeks ago, below 125 lbs, beat him 2 matches to 0.   I'd like to see Lee beat all comers in HS, who he faces, prior to predicting hardware for him up several weights in college, at this point.   

Its not just that they are 110 pounders, they are all guys looking to make senior world teams in a hurry, and being at the nonexistent baby weight doesn't help that. 

WrestlingNerds assertion that his lace is better than Schultz's is just ridiculous, we are out of the excited realm and into the weirdo/uncle/troll realm. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

Many who are comparing Iowa's success at the lower weights under Brands should examine how they are comparing to Cae's success with light weights.  At Iowa State he had Andrew Long who was tooth and nail with McD and if he would have stayed eligable very well could have put Ramos a seat of two back when evaluating light weights.  Also Nico has gone tooth and nail with both McD and Ramos in college and FS (lost on an "almost" takedown to Ramos).  Add that Nico is a couple years younger than McD and Ramos and I believe the ability to develop lightweights is a push!  I rule out Petaky as he was more of a 118 lber ( how I've wished that 118 was still a collegiate weight) than 125 and injuries his Sr. year skews evaluation.

Bottom line when Lee chooses a college I think he know what training with Nico can do for him.

It surprises me with the quality of posters on here, no matter who their fandom represents between Iowa and or Penn State, how Ohio State is never even mentioned even as a blip on the radar regarding Lee... I NEVER see anyone relative to Iowa or Penn State fans mention any possibility of Lee going anywhere other than these two school.

Now although I obviously know the answer to shy this is is that is truly what you think/expect to happen, I just can't see how/why there is never even OSU being a good option for Lee, let alone

a possibility.

In fact, if I didn't respect Bob Pruesse over at Ohiowrestling.net so much, who just nailed both Pletcher and Suriano to the day of each other in occurrences btw, I wouldn't think Lee to OSU is even being considered, as I never see it's mention anywhere else.

Pruesse however, is adamant in his belief OSU not only has a punchers chance but also could be in prime position to land Lee. (And Mark Hall btw)

He is consistently saying it's Mark Hall or but for Tom Ryan and OSU for this season, although I hope to see a future development regarding OSU interest and Isaiah White someday formulate. Not sure if his grades will ever allow that to happen, but fingers crossed.

Next season however, OSU's sole priority and must have/must not fail goal is to land one of the elite 125 hammers to come in right away and compete for a national championship with Tomasello moving up his senior season along with Bo Jordan's last season as well. That team has potential to be historically good as is, landing both Mark Hall and a Spencer Lee guarantees it IMO.

Previous poster said training with Nico would have an obvious appeal to Lee. I would easily argue the same with Tomasello, in fact they have and do train together already according to both Lee and Tomasello's twitter. Pruesse also harps on the Logan factor and how much Lee respects and likes Logan who while training all Year long at the ORTC, he also will be a de facto volunteer assistant coach fir the Bucks.

So with Lee not only having a clearer picture of position opening at OSU now with the news of both Cortez transferring and Suriano signing with Penn State, making theirs arguably a little cloudier, the ability to train with Lou Roselli, Jagger's, Logan, world team member Reece Humphries etc sounds just as enticing if not more.

Aviator, I mentioned tOSU along with OSU, Cornell and even West Virginia a few pages back as being places that an elite lightweight recruit like Lee could thrive; and I do agree that tOSU is definitely in the Lee sweepstakes. It's a 3 horse race, just that tOSU fans don't have the mouths PSU and Iowa fans have :-)

Lee's picture as to how he fits with PSU is pretty clear at this point. Suriano will be at 125 for his first two years, then Lee steps in as a redshirt freshman while Nick redshirts and Cortez finishes up his eligibility. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Aviator12, I second what F-T just said. Ohio State is definitely in the running. I think they are even more in the running than Iowa. 

Of course you think that. Frankly, I think they are more in the running than PSU.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

The presence of Logan Stieber is more important than coaches.

Dan Gable said so.

That is not what he said. He said an obvious leader like Stieber wrestling on the team,above and beyond the points, is probably the difference in winning a team title.  He was using Stieber as an example. He also used Askren as an example.  

The point really had nothing to do with Stieber as a coach. It was that to win a team title, most of the time, you need a superstar leader.  Like Metcalf, Ruth/Taylor, Stieber to have the team rally behind.  

Lee could possible be just this type of guy at whatever school he goes to. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

That is not what he said. He said an obvious leader like Stieber wrestling on the team,above and beyond the points, is probably the difference in winning a team title.  He was using Stieber as an example. He also used Askren as an example.  

The point really had nothing to do with Stieber as a coach. It was that to win a team title, most of the time, you need a superstar leader.  Like Metcalf, Ruth/Taylor, Stieber to have the team rally behind.  

Lee could possible be just this type of guy at whatever school he goes to. 

Interesting spin. His wrestling contributed points. Anything beyond the points would have been his presence. Hawk fans didn't want the Ohio State's championship season to be a draw to recruits. So the narrative was that it was all Logan Stieber. And he was no longer there. But his "presence" is back now. Since you know you can't have it both ways, NOW the story is that it was his wrestling setting the example.

But I didn't buy either story anyway. Remember the criticism that came forth, when three certain freshmen were named team captains. Then came gleeful comments from some quarters when those same three took their first losses. In the end they put up a first, second, and third, justifying what were considered by some to be outlandish homer predictions. It also justified their being named captains. I think Kyle Snyder,  Bo Jordan, and Nate Tomasello would have performed as they did, with or without Logan Stieber. If anyone "helped" them, it was the coaches. If anyone was an "inspiration" to them, not that those three needed any, I'm betting it was each other.

Interesting spin. His wrestling contributed points. Anything beyond the points would have been his presence. Hawk fans didn't want the Ohio State's championship season to be a draw to recruits. So the narrative was that it was all Logan Stieber. And he was no longer there. But his "presence" is back now. Since you know you can't have it both ways, NOW the story is that it was his wrestling setting the example.

But I didn't buy either story anyway. Remember the criticism that came forth, when three certain freshmen were named team captains. Then came gleeful comments from some quarters when those same three took their first losses. In the end they put up a first, second, and third, justifying what were considered by some to be outlandish homer predictions. It also justified their being named captains. I think Kyle Snyder,  Bo Jordan, and Nate Tomasello would have performed as they did, with or without Logan Stieber. If anyone "helped" them, it was the coaches. If anyone was an "inspiration" to them, not that those three needed any, I'm betting it was each other.

This time last year Iowa fans were persistent that Gilman was better than NaTo, Burak better than Snyder and Nick Moore was better than Bo Jordan. They were proven wrong, of course. Sometimes I think they see what they want to see, not what is actually there. One of them is claiming something about Lee getting married in Iowa now. You can't make this stuff up. 

I am not sure what I spun. You put words into Gables mouth. He never said what you said he said and I reminded you what he said. That is assuming you are referencing what I think you are.

Edited by OtisCampbell

This time last year Iowa fans were persistent that Gilman was better than NaTo, Burak better than Snyder and Nick Moore was better than Bo Jordan. They were proven wrong, of course. Sometimes I think they see what they want to see, not what is actually there. One of them is claiming something about Lee getting married in Iowa now. You can't make this stuff up. 

We can't make it up but you sure can. 

And boy those Iowa people are sure crazy for thinking that Gilman and or Burak had any shot at beating their tOSU counterparts last year.  

Last year PSU thought they had a shot at winning it with their lineup, they were proven wrong as well of course. Sometimes I think their fan base sees what they want to see not reality. 

Edited by OtisCampbell