Sign in to follow this  
cradlewiz

Best match ups that never happened

I always wanted to see Mark Perry against Ben Askren when they were both at 174. I liked that both were great mat wrestlers with a lot of funk in their arsenal. In the end I think Askren would've dominated Perry even worse than he did Herbet and would earn a tech fall or a pin. It still would have made for a good match with a lot of points scored. 

What are some other matches that never happened for one reason or another? 

I always wanted to see Mark Perry against Ben Askren when they were both at 174. I liked that both were great mat wrestlers with a lot of funk in their arsenal. In the end I think Askren would've dominated Perry even worse than he did Herbet and would earn a tech fall or a pin. It still would have made for a good match with a lot of points scored. 

What are some other matches that never happened for one reason or another? 

At National Duals that year Iowa wrestled Missouri and they sat Perry. Askren laughed at him before pinning the back up. 

Senior Dake vs Senior Burroughs is another one I wish could have happened.  I have no doubt Burroughs beats him, and i would have loved to see it.  

Askren/Taylor also comes to mind.   That could have been the most entertaining match in NCAA history.   

There was talk of Askren weighing in at 165 the year he bumped up to 184 and beat Kish, so he could wrestle Hendricks.  I would have liked to see that match, but it never happened.  Mizzou spanked OSU at those duals, something like 27-9.  I don't know if he actually did weigh 165, if he did, could he still bump to 184?

Hahn v Sanderson II

Jason Kelber v Eric Guerrero vs John Azevedo vs Adam Cuestas vs Barry Davis

Abas v Joe Gonzales vs Cujedo vs Andy Daniels

Dave Schultz vs Burroughs

Dake vs Donny Pritzlaff

Lee Kemp vs  Pat Smith

Doug Blubaugh vs David Taylor

Darrion Caldwell vs Jr Saunders

Tim Krieger vs Brent Metcalf

Jarrett Hubbard vs Nate Carr

Bubba Jenkins vs Andy Rein

this could go on and on and on

Edited by BadgerMon

James Green vs Dieringer. Clearly Ringer is the favorite here, but Greens speed is something no one else Ringer has beat possesses. 

This match up is more in line with the spirit of my initial post.  I probably could have explained it better, but I was looking more for wrestlers in the same weight in the same year as opposed to fantasy match ups of star wrestlers from different eras. Are there any entertaining NAIA, DII, DIII studs that would've matched up well with DI champs but never got the chance? (Joey Davis)

Another match I and everyone at the 2011 nationals wanted to see that didn't take place was Dake as a Sophmore vs a healthy senior Darrion Caldwell at 149 lbs. at NCAAs

I was really looking forward to seeing the Port v Carter rematch of last years Midlands final. I thought that match was really exciting with Carter close to scoring several takedowns before giving one up late.  It looked like it was going to happen pretty quickly at the Virginia Duals but Edinboro got knocked off and that dual never happened.  I thought for sure it would happen at the semis of NCAAs, but the seeding assured that match was never going to happen (at least in the semis). 

Not always in the same weight class in the same season, but here are some I would have liked to have seen:

A freshman Kyle Dake vs. junior Logan Stieber at 141

Darrion Caldwell vs. Kyle Dake at 149

Kyle Dake as a senior vs. Jordan Burroughs as a senior at 165

Ed Ruth vs. Ben Askren

Terry Brands vs. Stephen Abas

Mark Ironside vs. John Smith

Cary Kolat vs. John Smith

Gene Mills vs. Abas

Kyle Dake (165 4x) vs Pat Smith (158 4x)  vs Mcllravy (150 3x)

Joe Williams (167 3x)  vs Ed Ruth (174 3x)

Jaworski (134 3x) vs Guerrero (133 3x)

Brands (134 3x) vs Steiber (141 4x)

Stephen Abas (125 3x) vs John Smith (134 2x)

Edited by Idaho

No, actually, the minimum weight for heavyweight even predated Fat Kocher.

Edit to add: I'm looking at the 2000-2001 NCAA rulebook, and even there, the minimum weight of 183 for heavyweight was included, and was NOT a new rule.

Edited by SetonHallPirate