Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Pico vs Mammadov

The first TD in this match was a leg scissor/cutback using a sweeping leg trip with your own free leg.  I thought this was an illegal move?  It's legal in MMA and very sneaky.  Anderson Silva was submitted by an opponent using this technique.  Very dangerous though, I've seen a knee ripped apart.  Was surprised this move was allowed still.

Yeah, and how close was Pico to getting 4 on his first takedown. Guess he didn't have the td yet before he gutted him over. Only 2 points there.

Btw, just loved Pico's 2nd period in the bronze medal match.

Pico wrestled absolutely lights out this whole tournament, easily the best I have ever seen him compete.  Props to Mammadov for unbelievable mat-savvy that whole match.  That street-fighter style sissor attack is definitely illegal in folkstyle, but there is nothing against it in the latest UWW rulebook; just another technique that our, especially young, guys will not see enough of until they have to defend it a match. 

Pico's handfighting to clean, high shots has actually progressed substantial, IMO.  He used to rely on just the snap to knee grab, but now he is running through every kind of attack and counter-attacking better.  I wish he would enter Midlands and bring that intensity to NCAA stallfest.  I imagine he would be dancing waiting in vain for them to get back up ala Brent Metcalf when I was in school.

On a side note, you can almost see Pico start grinning and enjoying himself more when things get chippy with the international opponents...he is just one of those people who a punch in the face is like a shot of espresso to.  Going to be one helluva fighter.

Pico wrestled absolutely lights out this whole tournament, easily the best I have ever seen him compete.  Props to Mammadov for unbelievable mat-savvy that whole match.  That street-fighter style sissor attack is definitely illegal in folkstyle, but there is nothing against it in the latest UWW rulebook; just another technique that our, especially young, guys will not see enough of until they have to defend it a match. 

Pico's handfighting to clean, high shots has actually progressed substantial, IMO.  He used to rely on just the snap to knee grab, but now he is running through every kind of attack and counter-attacking better.  I wish he would enter Midlands and bring that intensity to NCAA stallfest.  I imagine he would be dancing waiting in vain for them to get back up ala Brent Metcalf when I was in school.

On a side note, you can almost see Pico start grinning and enjoying himself more when things get chippy with the international opponents...he is just one of those people who a punch in the face is like a shot of espresso to.  Going to be one helluva fighter.

I couldn't agree more with your entire post

I felt this is the very best we've seen Pico look and I'd add, I truly believe that loss in the semis will be a turning point for him.   He's already been improving at a very steep trajectory, but wow that bronze medal match! 

I cannot wait for next years domestic match ups with Pico and the usual suspects at or near the top of 66kg.   Should be fantastic and Pico is looking like he will be right in the mix for the spot.   As a Metcalf fan, I hope he gets his world medal next month.   

Between the people complimenting someone every time they take a loss well, and the people lining up to compliment Joey McKenna for admitting he missed weight I'm pretty sure America is doomed. 

I have to agree with this. It's only because there are so many bad losers that someone being a real man about losing even registers.

I think Pico is a class act. Even so, he circled the mat three times in frustration before shaking the guys hand. How is that a class act? Sure, he wasn't a douche bag, but I rate him one or two notches below class act. Hall gave up a last second TD and managed without the three round trips.

I have to agree with this. It's only because there are so many bad losers that someone being a real man about losing even registers.

I think Pico is a class act. Even so, he circled the mat three times in frustration before shaking the guys hand. How is that a class act? Sure, he wasn't a douche bag, but I rate him one or two notches below class act. Hall gave up a last second TD and managed without the three round trips.

good that we have that ratio figured out. 3 circles around the mat before shaking hands after a loss to 1 notch removed from class act. 

so taking 6 laps before shaking hands would be 2 notches below class act, yes? 

a somersault and double fist pound into the mat is like, what, 3 or 4 notches? 

i hope our coaches are making sure all the cadets are aware of these ratios before the worlds. 

good that we have that ratio figured out. 3 circles around the mat before shaking hands after a loss to 1 notch removed from class act. 

so taking 6 laps before shaking hands would be 2 notches below class act, yes? 

a somersault and double fist pound into the mat is like, what, 3 or 4 notches? 

i hope our coaches are making sure all the cadets are aware of these ratios before the worlds. 

Well, I take your point. But surely you didn't think he was looking for his contact lens? He was frustrated. As was I. It wasn't classless, but you know I've always hated grade inflation and participation awards, that's all.

If we are handing out class act awards to Pico, we shouldn't forget to include all the zero-, one- and two-lappers. And yes, yes, yes, Pico is a class act. One of most classy. But if all it takes to be a class act is to not throw a hissy fit, then we are aiming too low. I agree he didn't pull a Metcalf and try to push Mammadov all the way back to Azerbaijan but still.

Anyhow, no more knocking Pico, I promise. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

I hear that "strength of mind" is the number one factor in wrestling that Mammadov is trying to instill in his grandson.  

I don't get all this stuff about Mammadov's age. Yes, it's rotten if Mammadov is lying about his age, but Pico should be able to beat everyone and win a gold at the Sr's one day, so he's going to have to be able to take on these mature fellows too. 

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that Mammadov would, if he did in fact, wrestler in Jr's when he's old enough to be someone's granddad. It's kind of like that movie Bad Words with Paul Rudd .... 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2170299/

Two separate issues.  Even if Pico had won the match, what Mammadov did is indeed pretty rotten.  

I assume you are referring to his first move, the four pointer. What is the final word on it? Was it illegal? By the way, I agree, they are two separate issues.