Sign in to follow this  
mgrimm

Graff drops to 133 for Midlands/rest of season

That was my first thought. Ha. He didn't get to wrestle Hunter, I think. He was knocked out in LV semifinals before he could get to wrestle Hunter in finals.

But still going from Hunter to Logan and Tony makes the road more tougher for Graff.

Worth noting that his loss was to last year's Outstanding Wrestler at Cliff Keen.

As far as regular season matchups, Wisconsin misses Iowa during the Big Ten season this year. That being said, Graff would wrestle Logan Stieber January 20th in Columbus (ironically, a year to the day after Iowa got thumped by Ohio State, 21-9, in that same building)

That was my first thought. Ha. He didn't get to wrestle Hunter, I think. He was knocked out in LV semifinals before he could get to wrestle Hunter in finals.

But still going from Hunter to Logan and Tony makes the road more tougher for Graff.

If 133 is his optimal weight then he's going to be right in the hunt.

At 133:

2-0 vs. Devin Carter

3-0 vs. Futrell

2-1 vs. Sentes

1-0 vs. Ramos

Heck he beat Paddock 9-4 last time we saw him.

Tyler Graff is a very tough hombre and someone that was expected to contend for a national title. Clearly, he believes he'll be a better wrestler at 133. He certainly makes it a tougher, deeper weight. Prior to the start of the season--when I thought he'd be at 133--my assumption was that he and Ramos would be Logan's primary challengers.

From what I have heard on the Wisc. wrestling forum, Graff's move to 141 was based on his desire to acclimate himself to wrestling larger guys in anticipation of his freestyle career after graduation in another year. At the international level, guys suck more weight and Graff's plan was to similarly suck weight to 132. In order to be better prepared to compete with the relatively larger guys sucking weight internationally, Graff went up to prepare himself.

But Graff has picked up a few losses at 141, which I suspect causes some concern for his results this year. Also, I think there was a thought that Theilke would come off his red-shirt year and slide into the 133 pound slot.

However, I have heard that Theilke has hit a growth spurt and that 133 next year is no sure thing anymore. So, while I have no inside information, I suspect that the medium-term plan now is that Theilke may go at 141 next year and Graff stays at 133. And thus, Graff decided to drop back down for the remainder of the season, switching weights with Tom Kelliher, who had been wrestling at 133 for the Badgers.