Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Where should JB coach when he retires in 1-5 years (guess)?

JB has the biggest name in wrestling since Smith, so he would have a huge edge in the recruiting game. He's also been one of the best p4p wrestlers in the world for several years now, so he undoubtedly has tons of knowledge to offer young wrestlers. So the question is, assuming JB wants to become a coach, where should he coach?

• Nebraska- I don't think so. Very few elite wrestlers come out of Nebraska. And there are big-time programs in the nearby wrestling states you'd have to compete with for the nearby talent. Also it's cold. I don't know anybody who said, "Hey let's go on vacation to Nebraska because it's so amazing to linger around there."
  • Rutgers- Given that JB is from dirty Jerz, Rutgers is an interesting idea. Big Ten school. New Jersey. Great wrestling state. PA with all it's studs is nearby. But the problem is New Jersey. Would you willingly live there? I sure wouldn't. 
  • ASU- Pretty perfect school. Warm, not the most strict academic standards, near the west coast, near the Sunkist Kids and MMA gyms. Sadly, Jones locked it up already. 
  • Cal Poly- This would be the best way to have a real inside edge on the CA wrestlers. You could get them in-state tuition here. There's also beautiful weather and the beach is nearby. Pretty trill. On the downside, there are no nearby freestyle opportunities, and it's not clear how much the administration cares about wrestling. But does it really matter when you're barbecuing while everyone else is shoveling snow?

There really isn't anything else worth mentioning. I predict he goes to Cal Poly.

i doubt Burroughs ends up at Rutgers but NJ is a pretty nice place to live. suburbs and beaches as nice as they come. property and income taxes are probably the biggest turn off for anyone looking for a new home.

considering he already does coach for Nebraska that would my guess. or if anyone was going to help start a new D1 program in a few years, Burroughs would be the guy. find a school in Texas or Georgia and rule the state as wrestling overlord, or step up as AD Buamgartner style. 

I think Mark Cody is a tremendous coach and will continue to be for some time, but maybe I'm not in on the lol joke...

Burroughs won't be devoting himself full time to coaching for six years, barring any unforeseen circumstances, so the college wrestling landscape will look different at that point.  He is such a role model with incredible and unique enthusiasm for the sport that it would be a serious loss if he doesn't continue coaching after his career, or at least stays in wrestling.  I'd be very surprised if he doesn't.  I don't care how remote or cold Nebraska is - if JB coaches there full time then they will attract plenty of recruits.  Hell, he went there from New Jersey.  If you build it they will come.

Edited by bwh27

In most of the country it is cold in the winter.  He should go to Rutgers where it is more cold?  Seemed like a week dig on Nebraska?? 

Nebraska is a top program, don't know why you would say they are not.  Lincoln is a great city.

Oklahoma- Cody lol

You've made numerous references regarding Cody's inability to coach. Could you please expound with concrete evidence and examples that support your position?

I'm not close to the program or anything, but it's not hard to see that his team isn't very good. No depth, no recruiting ability.

Cody is a good coach but evidence of that is waning by the year. He has not delivered at OU, as much as his supporters would like to think so. In reality, the much-maligned Spates did a lot better, which is ironic. 

I do think Oklahoma could benefit from someone like JB there. It would be a big draw and Oklahoma needs to become a big draw again if they ever hope to regain the heights Spates took them to, let alone their historical heights. I'm not saying Spates was phenomenal and Cody sucks. Obviously, Cody has shown flashes of briliance throughout his career and that's why he got the big job at OU. But to me, Okie State's ability to stockpile local talent is partly a reflection on how OU is perceived among HS kids, and if that doesn't change, the program's results won't either.

I'm not so sure Michael Lightner isn't a big part of the problem... especially if he has major recruiting responsibilities. I was not too impressed with him in my time at OU camps years ago

I really have no clue, but if a program is headed north or south, there's only one place to point the finger. If Lightner is a problem and he's still there, that's as much on Cody as on Lilghtner himself.

As previously stated, OU's immediate future (next 5 yrs or so) is dismal. Unless their young wrestlers improve exponentially, they could very well not produce an All American other than Brewer in the next few years. If fingers are to be pointed, the head coach must surely be the target. But to go beyond the obvious, I really don't think Oklahoma's administration cares. The so called renovation of McCasland Field House is a joke and in my opinion exemplifies the athletic department's lack of concern for the wrestling program.

He is one of the best freestyle wrestlers in the world and the best American of this generation. He should coach aspiring world champions in Colorado Springs

One would think so, but then again, Zeke Jones left that job in CS to coach at ASU.

We didn't see Smith, Sanderson or Brands fighting to take over, either. 

Most coaches I've ever talked to say college coaching, if you can land a top program with committed administrative support, is a better gig than being the head guy at the OTC. Beyond the financial opportunity to make more, you have complete control of a program and the opportunity to establish yourself at a program for an unlimited number of years if you deliver. OTC gigs are more transient and about managing shared responsibilities with other coaches who often have much more influence on their athletes.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Maybe NDSU initially. Pick up some recruits and bring 'em on over to Minnesota to start a string of championships.

basically that is the most important thing. start at one school, wait until you have some good recruits and then bring them all over to another school that already has more good recruits and combine them together to get a super class. 

that is definitely what all coaches should do. 

Oklahoma- Cody lol

You've made numerous references regarding Cody's inability to coach. Could you please expound with concrete evidence and examples that support your position?

The Oklahoma Wrestling Team is exhibit 1.

All the Sooner fans hated on Spates his last 5 years and things have gone downhill since he left.  They just watched the best class in Oklahoma HS history graduate with almost none attending OU.  West Virginia scored bigger in Oklahoma recruiting that OU did.  

basically that is the most important thing. start at one school, wait until you have some good recruits and then bring them all over to another school that already has more good recruits and combine them together to get a super class. 

that is definitely what all coaches should do. 

You essentially repeated what headshuck said in the comment immediately before yours. And headshuck rewarded you by clicking the "like" button.  You make an adorable couple.