Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Where should JB coach when he retires in 1-5 years (guess)?

Actually I wonder what JB could do with an OTC gig. He's popular around the world, and I assume as a coach his travel would be paid for. Under those circumstances, it might be interesting to travel the world for a while. On the other hand, a job like that is not for everyone. 

Looking back at the D1 scene, there really don't seem to be many good options at the moment. Tough line of work. But I'm 100% sure JB will find success anyway.

Why the prejudice against winter and a full four seasons?

Go where there is snow and winter sports are supported.

JB could move into Nebraska and do well if he has the drive in coaching as he does on the mat. Look what Kurdlemeier and Gable did for Iowa. Not even and 'also-ran' before Gary Kurdlemeier took over as Iowa State was the big dog in the State. Then, Coach K came in and they started winning. Dan Gable was added to the staff and Coach K moved into administration.

Building a champion can be done anywhere with the right coach. If Burroughs likes Nebraska, why not there?

Or, with John Smith getting older maybe he can take over at Oklahoma State University in a few more years?

Edited by WillieBoy

• Rutgers- Given that JB is from dirty Jerz, Rutgers is an interesting idea. Big Ten school. New Jersey. Great wrestling state. PA with all it's studs is nearby. But the problem is New Jersey. Would you willingly live there? I sure wouldn't. 

Katie:

You sure wouldn't willingly live in the great State of New Jersey?

You should be so fortunate.

Did you know that according to the US Census Bureau, no less than 3 counties in New Jersey -- Hunterdon, Somerset, and Morris Counties -- rank among the Top 10 wealthiest counties in the US, with another 3 among the Top 25.

So, maybe -- just maybe -- all those Wall Street lawyers, and bankers, and entrepreneurs who choose to live there know something you don't about upper middle class living.

Sincerely,

Governor Chris Christie

It's funny how NJ gets such a bad rap on these boards. It's one of the best states to live in the country. A lot of celebrities own property there because it's a nice place to get away from the media with a high standard of living, and these are people who could buy property anywhere they wanted in the world.

Cody runs a pretty tight ship at OU. The wrestlers are kicked off the team if they are ever caught drinking (even out of season). If they miss class they have 3 strikes and then are kicked off.

College kids wanna college kid. Who da thought? Tough sell to HS kids.

It's funny how NJ gets such a bad rap on these boards. It's one of the best states to live in the country. A lot of celebrities own property there because it's a nice place to get away from the media with a high standard of living, and these are people who could buy property anywhere they wanted in the world.

I don't think its just on these boards.  Most of the people that I run across from NJ have a self-deprecating sense of humor about the place. One colleague claimed he lived on the southern bank of the Fecal River.  Joe Piscopo used to do some awesome skits about  NJ on SNL-  

You're from Joisey?  What exit?!  

Cody runs a pretty tight ship at OU. The wrestlers are kicked off the team if they are ever caught drinking (even out of season). If they miss class they have 3 strikes and then are kicked off.

I kind of doubt this, but really want it to be true

If Cody's problem was star recruits showing up and getting kicked off the team before they could succeed,  I'd be with you.  His problem is almost all of the existing wrestlers under performing and not enough recruits interested in coming.

boconnell, I'm going to let you rethink the shortsightedness of that statement and how such a deal might possibly affect recruiting before I go all keyboard warrior on you.

Please elaborate. I'm curiours as to what you you mean by "...possibly affect recruiting..."

boconnell, I'm going to let you rethink the shortsightedness of that statement and how such a deal might possibly affect recruiting before I go all keyboard warrior on you.

I fully understand that a hard stance on conduct could affect recruiting.  Do you honestly think that is among the top 5 factors holding back OU? 

First I've heard of this.  Have these policies been in place since Cody arrived, or are they more recent?

What happened to those golden years when a major college athlete could get drunk, raise mayhem, get arrested and his coach would bail him out so he could suit up for that night's event? Pool halls are no longer the destination of recruiters. Bring back the Keller brothers and Wahoo McDaniels.

Edited by Bloate