Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Where should JB coach when he retires in 1-5 years (guess)?

Cody is a real bible-thumper.  Not for everyone.  End of story.

must be what Oklahoma wants since he replaced Spates who was very vocal about his born again religious beliefs and subsequent Christian ministry.

The guy finished fifth at American his last year there before moving over to Oklahoma. Pretty sure he hasn't forgotten how to coach since then...

so what's your theory?

they obviously are well below expectations and there ain't much light at the end of the tunnel.

He made a strategic decision to mortgage a couple of years surrounding the gamble of taking on Howe and Rutt in an attempt to win a title in 2014, and obviously that didn't work out very well (due largely to injuries to several key guys). You say there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel, but the four recruiting classes Cody has had (according to some Willie Saylor person) have been ranked 6th, 19th, 11th, and 12th...not exactly a bunch of poor classes. Granted, that first class that was ranked 6th was largely due to the Wisconsin transfers, but obviously with those most recent two recruiting classes, there's young talent there, and now that he's finally worked out recruiting at a full-scholarship, relatively low-tuition school (while he had 9.9 at American, cost of attendance was roughly 1.5 times as much at American as it is at Oklahoma, and 2.5 times for in-of-staters), I suspect he'll start to develop that depth that he's trying to build at OU.

Yes, his first few years at Oklahoma have been relatively subpar compared to expectations, but to say that there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel is, to say the least, short-sighted.

Or, to quote, again, a pretty knowledgeable guy by the name of Willie Saylor, "The good news is, thanks to four straight Top 20 classes, they have a slew of young talent to help right the ship." I think, Husker_Du, you might have heard of him.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

Best thing about New Jersey? It ain't Cleveland.

Two things, in the Cleveland area, caught fire 45 years ago. One was the river. The other was it's high school wrestling. It became the nation's best in short order. 

Maybe JB can take over a Cleveland area program.  Keep the local talent. Wouldn't need all that much more for success.

He made a strategic decision to mortgage a couple of years surrounding the gamble of taking on Howe and Rutt in an attempt to win a title in 2014, and obviously that didn't work out very well (due largely to injuries to several key guys). You say there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel, but the four recruiting classes Cody has had (according to some Willie Saylor person) have been ranked 6th, 19th, 11th, and 12th...not exactly a bunch of poor classes. Granted, that first class that was ranked 6th was largely due to the Wisconsin transfers, but obviously with those most recent two recruiting classes, there's young talent there, and now that he's finally worked out recruiting at a full-scholarship, relatively low-tuition school (while he had 9.9 at American, cost of attendance was roughly 1.5 times as much at American as it is at Oklahoma, and 2.5 times for in-of-staters), I suspect he'll start to develop that depth that he's trying to build at OU.

Yes, his first few years at Oklahoma have been relatively subpar compared to expectations, but to say that there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel is, to say the least, short-sighted.

Or, to quote, again, a pretty knowledgeable guy by the name of Willie Saylor, "The good news is, thanks to four straight Top 20 classes, they have a slew of young talent to help right the ship." I think, Husker_Du, you might have heard of him.

touche.

the problem with all that (recruiting class rankings citation) 

is that they haven't competed to that level.

they certainly have time to develop, but i thought they'd already show much more promise.

off the top of my head...every OU recruit under Cody has performed below expectations.

Edited by Husker_Du

Or, to quote, again, a pretty knowledgeable guy by the name of Willie Saylor, "The good news is, thanks to four straight Top 20 classes, they have a slew of young talent to help right the ship." I think, Husker_Du, you might have heard of him.

Those are some seriously rose colored glasses. Who are his best recruits? Have to be Oliver Pierce and Brooks Climmons.

According to D1CW, these are the top 100 recruits he has landed:

#17 Oliver Pierce, 2013

#25 Ryan Millhof, 2014

#30 Brad Johnson, 2012

#30 Climmons Brooks, 2013

#36 Clark Glass, 2012

#38 Sean DeShazer, 2015

#57 Davion Jeffries, 2015

#63 Dylan Lucas, 2015

#64 Matt Reed, 2012

#68 Lance Dixon, 2014

#69 Ross Larson, 2012

#75 Christian Moody, 2015

#84 Joel Dixon, 2014

My thoughts on Cody and OU (sorry the thread was hijacked):

Cody is not a "bible thumper" but he does run a very tight ship as others have stated. When taking over a new program with that strict of a philosophy, it will take some time to change the culture of the program. I do believe it will pay off in the long run though. With American he was starting from scratch so it's actually easier to build a program that way so he was able to improve very quickly. When taking over someone else's program that's a different story.

I am a little surprised to see that the individual wrestlers have not improved much under Cody. At American he had relative unknowns improve drastically. However I think that what I mentioned above can have a greater effect in the room than we would imagine. When there is dissension in the ranks, it can effect the improvement of everyone. Unfortunately it usually takes 4-5 years minimum to only begin to get your philosophy fully accepted (speaking from experience). I think he will get there though

Edited by Eagle26