Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Coleman Scott to 57kg

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14784

He certainly taking on a challenge as a new head coach who is also competing while trying to make a fairly extreme weight cut. It's only for a year at the most, but he will need some good assistants to handle things on a regular basis.

Won't be easy, but he really only has to make it twice. Once at the trials and once in Rio. If he can do it and still be able to wrestle well, it certainly strengthens our team. Either he wins the spot or the guy who does beats out an Olympic medalist. Of course, it's still dumb that he has to make a choice among just six weights...

Edited by IronChef

Because it's just a one-run deal, I think it's possible.  A very full plate, though, with being a first-time head coach.  The key is the support of his wife, who is backing him in this.  All said, I don't see how he can be a max-performance coach (with recruiting, travel, daily training schedules for the team, etc.) and max-performance Olympic hopeful.  Good luck to Mr. Scott.

After the weight class reduction I was thinking for a second that a drop could be something for Humphrey to consider, but figured it could be too much to do and stay competitive. And I always pictured Scott having to pull a little more weight than Reece, so good luck to Scott in his drop attempt. It will be a massive undertaking but his options are definitely limited.

Edited by MadMardigain

Any idea what the reason is he is dropping?  

I hate this about wrestling.   Instead of working on his technique and remaining at the weight class he's been performing at a high level, he chooses to just abuse his body and probably his health as well, in order to drop the weight, avoid the competition he's been competing agansnt, and try to make it that way.   

I know John really cuts them hard at OSU, but this is just too much.   He must not have seen how Oliver benefited from moving up 2 weights in college, after really abusing himself to make 133.   

Any idea what the reason is he is dropping?  

I hate this about wrestling.   Instead of working on his technique and remaining at the weight class he's been performing at a high level, he chooses to just abuse his body and probably his health as well, in order to drop the weight, avoid the competition he's been competing agansnt, and try to make it that way.   

I know John really cuts them hard at OSU, but this is just too much.   He must not have seen how Oliver benefited from moving up 2 weights in college, after really abusing himself to make 133.   

His current weight class is not an option for the olympics.  There are only 6 olympic weights, and he isn't going to beat Metcalf.  

The guy is an olympic bronze medalist..I think he knows a thing or two about his technique.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

His current weight class is not an option for the olympics.  There are only 6 olympic weights, and he isn't going to beat Metcalf.  

The guy is an olympic bronze medalist..I think he knows a thing or two about his technique.  

He's a married man in his 30s.   This attitude of I can't beat Metcalf (as you say) so instead of bulking up to 145, I'll drop to 125 is just terrible.  

So his wife will be the biggest person in the room when he's dieting down and this is somehow a good thing?  I can see if she is 9 months pregnant, fine, but this is wrestling, I hate it when they turn it into runway modeling, tales of anorexia.   

Just a shame we're still in the archaic belief of get as skinny as humanly possible and compete with the smallest people around if we can't hack it at the current weight.   

Doesn't impact me any more, my kids are all grown up and done cutting weight.   You guys raising kids are going to have to deal with it.   Keep in mind, he's a head coach now, and probably at least somewhat influential with his kids (your kids). 

It's his life dude. You have no right to get on a soap box, throw around words like anoriexia, which is a psychological condition and has nothing to do with this, and make extravagant claims about how this is going to impact anyone but him. 

It's also extremely naive of you to act like he would have any success up a weight. 

Well of course it's his life.   Perhaps you didn't realize we are on a message board discussing him?

That's how message boards work.   Someone posts a topic, others chime in with their opinions, and there's a discussion about the topic.   

My opinion is this sucks.   I wish it would stop and an Olympic bronze medalist doing it who also is ahead coach in college, sends a terrible message ot our youth.   It doesn't bother you, you don't care, after all it is his life.   That's fine, but I do care.   I have every right to add my opinion.   Otherwise how is this message board thing going to work if we follow your logic? 

Cletus is apparently bored of trolling the International board and made a trip over here. 

Trolling?  You're projecting now. 

My views are documented just as I see things.  

Unless trolling is code for telling it how one sees it, then yes I am trolling.   

Finally some sense from you.  

Watch the Reece Humphry piece on FLo where he goes into his plans for next year and what his goals are.   Such a healthier and more positive experience for him, his family, and those who look up to him and admire his courage/will.   I look forward to contrast the two next year and look await your input as well, if you're still on these boards.   

Grown man. Check.

Knows what he's doing. Check.

Has an Olympic dream. Check.

Wasn't on the International Olympic Committee that decided to limit freestyle wresting to 6 weights. Check. 

One doesn't have to be in favor of massive weight cutting to support Scott making a tough decision in a tough situation. There are so many more important things in the world to be outraged about.

I'm rooting for Ramos, but best of luck to Scott.