Sign in to follow this  
EWPAWRFN

The best college wrestler who never won a high school state championship?

I know Haselrig's HS didn't have wrestling so he would co op (is that the correct term?) with another team and he may or may not have won a state title.   He did win 6 NCAA titles, however.

He won state too.  He somehow petitioned his way into the qualifier for state, won that and state. 

I know Haselrig's HS didn't have wrestling so he would co op (is that the correct term?) with another team and he may or may not have won a state title.   He did win 6 NCAA titles, however.

Wow-and ……well -- what ? I must have missed something here. Or somewhere.

How in the heck does one win 6 NCAA titles ? You mean like, 6 individual titles ? So, the guy could claim, "Yeah I won six (6) times. Heavyweight champ 6 times in college".

DId I get right ? Am I right -or- am I correct ?

Edited by denny

How in the heck does one win 6 NCAA titles ? You mean like, 6 individual titles ? So, the guy could claim, "Yeah I won six (6) times. Heavyweight champ 6 times in college".

3x DII 3x DI

Haselrig went to Johnstown HS, who at that time did not have a wrestling team. He could not compete in regular season competitions. He could, however wrestle in the post season. He won districts, regionals, and states and finished his high school career 10-0.

Haselrig went to Johnstown HS, who at that time did not have a wrestling team. He could not compete in regular season competitions. He could, however wrestle in the post season. He won districts, regionals, and states and finished his high school career 10-0.

Undefeated HS career, with a state championship. 

Thank you for the details, pretty remarkable. 

As stated above, he did in fact win 6 individual titles, 3 in D1 and 3 in D2.  Only 6 time NCAA individual champ

Thanks. I sort of thought -- it was something like that. Refresh my memory. How do we get those six years of college eligibility ?

Until sometime in the 80's D2 champs (and I think runners up also) qualified to wrestle in D1's the same year.

Thanks. I sort of thought -- it was something like that. Refresh my memory. How do we get those six years of college eligibility ?

DII Champ used to automatically qualify for DI tourney. He only wrestled 3 years. If I remember correctly, he originally signed and went to U of Pitt to play football and wrestle. He transferred to Pitt Johnstown because he liked the the wrestling coach at Johnstown and they didn't have a football program. Wrestled there 3 years without playing football but was still drafted, or at least signed ith Pittsburg Steelers and became an all pro O lineman.

DII Champ used to automatically qualify for DI tourney. He only wrestled 3 years. If I remember correctly, he originally signed and went to U of Pitt to play football and wrestle. He transferred to Pitt Johnstown because he liked the the wrestling coach at Johnstown and they didn't have a football program. Wrestled there 3 years without playing football but was still drafted, or at least signed ith Pittsburg Steelers and became an all pro O lineman.

I thought he started at Lock Haven playing football, then decided he didn't like it or he had something else happen, so he went back to Johnstown, and wrestled for 4 years, his first year he was DII runner up so he didn't qualify for DI nationals. 

1) Uetake. Olympic champ and NCAA champ in the same year. 3x undefeated NCAA champ. Never lost. (Freshmen were ineligible in his day.)

2) Neal. World champ NCAA champ in the same year. He was also the FILA Outstanding Wrestler the same year he was an NCAA champ. 2x undefeated champ. 4x AA.

Uetake!  Olympic champ while still in college.

But I'm also taking it back to the homie, Gonzo Gonzales, from my hometown.

Never won a CIF title, but did win a national HS title.

2x D2 champ

1x D1 champ(2x finalist)

3x World Cup champ

1x Tbilisi Champ

1x World Bronze

5x US World team member

5x National Open Freestyle Champion

11 time AAU National Freestyle Champion

2x Veterans National Champion

2x Olympic team member(80, 84)

NCAA record holder for most takedowns in a season(448

NCAA Record holder for most wins in a season without a loss(55-0)

And for the guy who said Gonzo never transferred in a thread a long time ago...yeah he did, like I said.  ELAC(East Los Angeles Community College)>Oklahoma>CS Bakersfield.

Just got inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame this year

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2015/June/04/Joe-Gonzales-Hall-of-Fame