Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

There are three aspects to College life - pick two

Dan Gable is supposed to have said to incoming wrestlers that there are three aspects to College life for his wrestlers. Social, Wrestling and Academic.  Pick TWO - because you can't do all three and be successful. There aren't enough hours in the day to do them all well.

He is known for producing great wrestlers and improving those who came to him no matter their level when first getting on the mat.

How many times do we see kids come into College and 'lose it' because they can't manage their time. They are kids - it happens.

Your take in this idea?

I think it is hard to do more than one really well.  I see a lot of really good college athletes with the easiest possible major.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but wrestling and being in the hard sciences is tough.  forget social unless you are one of the gifted.

I think it is hard to do more than one really well.  I see a lot of really good college athletes with the easiest possible major.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but wrestling and being in the hard sciences is tough.  forget social unless you are one of the gifted.

I agree. That is why I have always been impressed with Lehigh's roster; not one sociology major in the bunch.

http://www.lehighsports.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

In years of interviewing current and former college wrestlers, one of the recurring themes brought up by these athletes is "time management." A number of guys have said that's critical to success in the classroom and on the mat. One of my favorite images from a decade ago at the NCAAs was seeing a premed undergrad with books matside, studying while waiting to be called to the mat. Said he couldn't take a moment away from keeping up with his studies.

Another example that comes to mind is the late Greg Plitt, wrestler, West Point grad and US Army Ranger. Here's what he told me in an interview for InterMat: http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/2783/As-Seen-on-TV-and-on-your-newsstand-Greg-Plitt

"They say West Point is a leadership school, but I think it's a place where leaders become even better leaders," according to Plitt. "It's all about management -- time management, learning how to use limited resources to maximum effect, how to work with others as a team."

Mark