Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Best wrestling families - International (US)

I think the Schultz brothers are on top here.

"The Schultzes were the only brother pair to win both World and Olympic championships. The Schultz brothers won more NCAA, U.S. Open, World, and Olympic titles than any American brother combination in history." (from wikipedia)

Peterson brothers would be darned close.

Who else fits talking only International competition?

John Smith & family might even be close if we could give one or two of Johns World Titles to one of his brothers...

Am looking at US because I am not that familiar with other nations tho suspect Russia and Iran may have some family combinations hard to match.

Edited by WillieBoy

Saitiev brothers blow Schultz brothers out of the water in terms of international credentials and victories.

Batirov family also has many good wrestlers, though only Mavlet was truly an all time great.

Edited by manyak

Brands bros have World 4 Titles, one being Olympic year.

but as mentioned earlier, the Satievs have 4 Olympics, besides a boatload of Worlds

Doesn't J Smith have 6? Isn't 6 > 4? So all the Smith bros have more than all the Brands bros.

I'd go with a "boatload" over 4. ;)

Brands bros have World 4 Titles, one being Olympic year.

but as mentioned earlier, the Satievs have 4 Olympics, besides a boatload of Worlds

Doesn't J Smith have 6? Isn't 6 > 4? So all the Smith bros have more than all the Brands bros.

I'd go with a "boatload" over 4. ;)

One of the other Smiths has a silver also.

Khadatrsevs, Beloglazovs and Saitievs must each have around 10. Too lazy to look it up.

I still think the holy grail of wrestling video would be live goes between the Saitievs brothers. I cabt even imagine the scrambles they'd get into.

While not always the most decorated in terms of world championships, how about the husband and wife duos or the Saunderses or Stadniks from Ukraine?

One of my favorite matches ever is Stadnik vs Shahin Olympic final. At the end Stadniks wide bursts into tears. The agony of defeat.

Pretty sure his wife and sister wrestled each other in major international competition. That's pretty unique, not to mention akward.