Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Togrul Askerov returns!

Sorry this is a little off topic, but why do different countries change the names anyway? They are names, not words! It's not like Asgarov makes it so much easier to read in English than Askerov. I get that we have different alphabets, but shouldn't there be only one spelling of it with English letters?

Azerbaijan announced for World Wrestling championship in Las Vegas, Nevada

FS:

57 kg: Makhir Amiraslanov

61 kg: Haji Aliyev

65 kg: Togrul Askerov

70 kg: Jabrayil Hasanov

74 kg: Ruslan Dibirgadjiyev

86 kg: Magomedgadzhi Khatiyev

97 kg: Khetag Gazymov

125 kg: Jamaladdin Magomedov

GR:

59 kg: Rovshan Bayramov

66 kg: Gasan Aliyev

75 kg: Elvin Mursaliyev

80 kg: Rafig Huseynov

85 kg: Saman Tahmasebi (ex-I.R.I wrestler)

98 kg: Orkhan NurIyev

130 kg:  Sabah Shariati 

71 kg greco? i expect dance boy is going?

Sorry this is a little off topic, but why do different countries change the names anyway? They are names, not words! It's not like Asgarov makes it so much easier to read in English than Askerov. I get that we have different alphabets, but shouldn't there be only one spelling of it with English letters?

nah, alphabets don't work like that. some sounds are used in certain languages and dialects that aren't used in others, and there's no obvious transliteration. try writing some familiar names in Cyrillic. not so easy. then try Armenian or Georgian. and then there are cultures who don't even use alphabets. 

this article on the former head of state of Libya might help explain how difficult it can be. 

Obviously the % changes each year depending on the team. They won 4 gold in junior worlds. Weren't 3 of those gold medalists actually from Russia?  

It's a high amount regardless. It's pretty funny, Russia only had 1 gold medal in junior worlds and Azerbaijan had 4 because they had 3 Russians winning gold for them. 

Teymur Mammadov was born in Russia, but is an ethnic Azeri. Out of total 7 gold medals accross all styles only 2 were earned by naturalized athletes (2.5 if we count Mammadov).

Edited by Karelin

also just noticed Amiraslanov wrestled in the Junior World Championship this year and the Cadet WC last year. impressive youngster (assuming his age is legit). 

The kid is a real deal. If he doesn't flame out as kids often do, he can turn into a beast.

50% for this year's freestyle team, no? 

57, 61, 65, 74 are all AZE, right? according to https://twitter.com/sikom_d anyway

74 kg: Ruslan Dibirgadjiyev (Dagestan)

86 kg: Magomedgadzhi Khatiyev (Dagestan, Gamid Gamidov wrestling club)

97 kg: Khetag Gazymov (RNO-Ossetia)

125 kg: Jamaladdin Magomedov (Dagestan)

Abdullah, do the Azerbaijanis pay good money for the Russians to wrestle for them? How does this process work? 

just in Russia, and a lot of competition for the World Championship and the Olympics goes one second and Terje number of Russian ischyat place in other countries where they receive citizenship and win nationals win championships. That's why you see often in the final two dagestan wrestler, one of them a different instance Russia, and him opponent (teammate) for Azerbaijan or Poland

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

abdullahgadzhi, This may be a difficult question to answer, but I am curious if you know which are the most successful clubs people train out of in North Ossetia and Dagestan and Possibly Moscow. Additionally I am also curious if you know who coaches these clubs and which successful wrestlers train out of them, Thanks.

nah, alphabets don't work like that. some sounds are used in certain languages and dialects that aren't used in others, and there's no obvious transliteration. try writing some familiar names in Cyrillic. not so easy. then try Armenian or Georgian. and then there are cultures who don't even use alphabets. 

this article on the former head of state of Libya might help explain how difficult it can be. 

Thanks. I did understand that there are no easy ways to translate certain letters. I guess what I didn't get is why there wouldn't be one translation that is the accepted way. The article does point out how difficult it would be, but I still think it would be doable. 

Thanks. I did understand that there are no easy ways to translate certain letters. I guess what I didn't get is why there wouldn't be one translation that is the accepted way. The article does point out how difficult it would be, but I still think it would be doable. 

i dunno. i wish people would settle on one way to spell sean/shawn/shaun/shon/chonne 

Yeah, Asgarov should have got the pin vs Chamizo. Too bad.

I can never get enough of watching Chunayev. Is he a 66 or 75 next year? What's his weight like?

Wrestling federation officials want Chunayev in Rio next year, but the question is what's the best way to go about it. Chunayev would feel most comfortable at 66kg, but that means 2010 World champion Hasan Aliyev is out of it. Aliyev has been in a slump lately, but he is still a great talent. Aliyev also didn't help his cause by being one and done in Las Vegas.

Chunayev could try to bulk up to 75kg, but he is going to be at a disadvantage against bigger guys. Either way, we'll have some clarity by year-end.